BMP lower than 20

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: BMP lower than 20

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Angstrom wrote:
ollyb303 wrote:
beats me wrote:The complete list of when that would be useful.

1. Never.
This
*ahem*
lil' lois - french kiss

I think that's what he's after, tempo slowdown from normal to near stopped
Just reread the OP and I think you’re right. I got a little caught up in all the chin strokers in here trying to figure out how to write a song with a tempo of 10 or some other nonsense.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Hate it when people do that with tracks and then dont sync the speed up so it doesnt land back on the beatgrid again - grrr! :pP
Nothing to see here - move along!

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Dan Deacon here?

WOW 8)

If your goal isn't a complete slowdown but in fact a song tempo of < 20 BPM using double tempo and thus double note lengths etc. is a workaround.

dandeacon

Post by dandeacon » Mon May 16, 2011 7:06 am

sure it wouldn't have any "traditional" applications but it would have ENDLESS uses in experimental composition, especially when writing long form drone pieces. like i said i am new to live, i mainly use reason 3.0.5 (i hate reason 4 and 5). anyway, in reason i found that writing at 1 bpm would yield some really awesome results for drone and phase music. being able to do that with ableton and reason rewired into it would be amazing. i guess the bottom line is that it seems absurd to limit the user to a tempo of 20bpm. i dont see a reason for that.

@the_plant: yes i'm really dan deacon.

@tweaking knobs: thank you! it totally should!

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Mon May 16, 2011 9:56 am

dandeacon wrote:sure it wouldn't have any "traditional" applications but it would have ENDLESS uses in experimental composition, especially when writing long form drone pieces. like i said i am new to live, i mainly use reason 3.0.5 (i hate reason 4 and 5). anyway, in reason i found that writing at 1 bpm would yield some really awesome results for drone and phase music. being able to do that with ableton and reason rewired into it would be amazing. i guess the bottom line is that it seems absurd to limit the user to a tempo of 20bpm. i dont see a reason for that.

for sure , ;-) i really dont realy care , and sont use slower tempos than 20, but i´ve used other DAWs amd they have it , and sometimes is fun,

is always better to have it , have the posibility than to not have it.

cheers

henke

Post by henke » Mon May 16, 2011 10:02 am

Tweaking Knobs wrote:any how , all you bla bla bla...
it should be posible. period.
the lowest possible bpm time defines the amount of RAM the delays and other beat time dependent audio effects need to reserve in order to work. the lower the bpm the more RAM, or delays get out of sync.

of course it would be possible to implement but there is a reason why it is how it is. period.

Robert

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon May 16, 2011 10:25 am

...simple enough answer... live has closed that option for you

but...
you can adjust your playing...

work with a reference of 1/2 instead of 1/4...
then it'll go down to 10bpm (virtually)...
with a reference of a bar insead of a beat you can get down to 5bpm...
etc
(example :
with a bpm of 120 displayed in Live..
you would actually be playing in 60bpm if you follow 1/2 instead of 1/4...
this will limit how high you can get with the bpm of course..)

it's all realtive baby...
:mrgreen:

(if you have already warped audio..
simply double the bpm of warp markers...)

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon May 16, 2011 10:38 am

beats me wrote:The complete list of when that would be useful.

1. Never.
i've worked at that speed on numerous occasions.
perhaps you need to get your head out of your ass and realise that because it is not useful for you, it might actually be useful for someone else?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon May 16, 2011 10:41 am

dandeacon wrote:sure it wouldn't have any "traditional" applications but it would have ENDLESS uses in experimental composition, especially when writing long form drone pieces. like i said i am new to live, i mainly use reason 3.0.5 (i hate reason 4 and 5). anyway, in reason i found that writing at 1 bpm would yield some really awesome results for drone and phase music. being able to do that with ableton and reason rewired into it would be amazing. i guess the bottom line is that it seems absurd to limit the user to a tempo of 20bpm. i dont see a reason for that.

i hear that. i'd like lower then 20 bpm speeds too.

also what's more; your music is awesome. just saying.

photonal

Post by photonal » Mon May 16, 2011 11:26 am

I think Dan is looking to build his live set at say 800bpm into just a sixteen bar sequence and then play it back at 1bpm.

That way, you could playback roughly an hours worth of liveset from the sixteen bars! (If my maths are right!!)

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Mon May 16, 2011 11:52 am

henke wrote:
Tweaking Knobs wrote:any how , all you bla bla bla...
it should be posible. period.
the lowest possible bpm time defines the amount of RAM the delays and other beat time dependent audio effects need to reserve in order to work. the lower the bpm the more RAM, or delays get out of sync.

of course it would be possible to implement but there is a reason why it is how it is. period.

Robert

allright , sounds like a reasonable excuse, and i dont have any problems with it, i was just saying in an ideal world ( or in other daws ) it would be possible.

Again live is no ordinary DAW and it has its pros and cons. like the lfo issue. and thr greatness of session view.

cheers Henke, didnt mean to offend ;-)

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon May 16, 2011 12:23 pm

photonal wrote:I think Dan is looking to build his live set at say 800bpm into just a sixteen bar sequence and then play it back at 1bpm.

That way, you could playback roughly an hours worth of liveset from the sixteen bars! (If my maths are right!!)
That reminds me of the current ongoing performance of John Cage's "Organ²/ASLSP" -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Slow_As_Possible

The last change of note was on Feb 5th 2011, the next change is scheduled for August 5th

assuming the notes are quarter notes that would make for a tempo of .000038 BPM !!!
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Mon May 16, 2011 12:41 pm

not only should it be possible to slow it down as much as you like, u should also be able to dial in minus bpm so it goes backwards. the master channel should have sampler like features and timestretching and transposing should be flawless. do it NOW ableton! ;)
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Mon May 16, 2011 2:21 pm

Grappadura wrote:not only should it be possible to slow it down as much as you like, u should also be able to dial in minus bpm so it goes backwards. the master channel should have sampler like features and timestretching and transposing should be flawless. do it NOW ableton! ;)

oh yeah , that is thinking out of the box, great idea, unfortunaltelly not practical because of the memory issues henke said :(

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon May 16, 2011 3:58 pm

Tweaking Knobs wrote:
Grappadura wrote:not only should it be possible to slow it down as much as you like, u should also be able to dial in minus bpm so it goes backwards. the master channel should have sampler like features and timestretching and transposing should be flawless. do it NOW ableton! ;)

oh yeah , that is thinking out of the box, great idea, unfortunaltelly not practical because of the memory issues henke said :(

that would be awesome actually. forwardbackwards music. combine that will followactions on locators (and an lfo assigned to the bpm :D) and you could make the most awesome generative set evar.