Who thinks their music is original?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Leveller

Re: Who thinks their music is original?

Post by The Leveller » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 pm

jtdj wrote:here is a hotlink to my latest effort http://www.filefreak.com/files/771601_l ... 282%29.mp3
Mate, thats excellent by the way! :D Gots the wobbly bass and all sorts, nice! Original...not so sure, but nice fo sho!

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:30 am

macmurphy wrote:
The Leveller wrote:8O No way!

Olly your techno rocks mate, and for that type of music genre is very important and there are rules that must be followed. But you do what you do very well. :D
what he said :D
Wow. Thanks guys. You just made my day! :D
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:45 am

jtdj wrote:here is a hotlink to my latest effort http://www.filefreak.com/files/771601_l ... 282%29.mp3
that really is rather wicked :D

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:00 am

I've been obsessed with sci-fi cliches, but I think it is original:

http://www.arachnaut.net/audio/Return%2 ... 0Krell.mp3

My more recent work is a bit more extreme.

TheDriller

Post by TheDriller » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:15 am

I'm a latecomer to the Electronic Music party and I think it shows.

What I mean is, I think my music is original in a "naive attempt at something I don't fully understand" kind of way.

If anyone wants a listen: www.fittedkitchens.bandcamp.com

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:24 am

Difficult to argue the cliche and originality in the same sentence....but it is excellent scoring work, really atmospheric. Does bring to mind Hopkins soundtrack for the film Monsters, but that, in my view, counts even more for you than against. Great stuff.

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:27 am

TheDriller wrote:I'm a latecomer to the Electronic Music party and I think it shows.

What I mean is, I think my music is original in a "naive attempt at something I don't fully understand" kind of way.

If anyone wants a listen: http://www.fittedkitchens.bandcamp.com
I think the thing with dance is that it has to have certain things to be part of that set, the four four kick, the off beat hi hat and the cracking snare/clap...all of which are apparent in your tunes too. Therefore it's hard to be original, but thats not to say its not nicely done. it is! I liked!

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:32 am

OK, I give in. :D Here's one of my latest called 100 Billion Suns, gots you some geetar, gots you some mandolin, gots you some synths, gots you some glitched up drums and some latin perc...drenched in all sorts of influences. Original? No, I doubt it, but perhaps a unique style? I hope so, thats what I'm aiming for I guess.

100 Billion Suns

esemdi

Post by esemdi » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:18 am

Unlike other things, music never dies. So it's kind of impossible to make something without being influenced by someone else's songs, especially when you listen to a lot of music.

http://soundcloud.com/esemdi/id

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:27 am

Again, this is really well done, all the tricks are in there, a spot of sidechaining, and hiding the kick on the snare hit all that, but thats also what keeps it from being original. The genre takes away from the originality by definition, if you know what I mean.

esemdi

Post by esemdi » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:59 am

The Leveller wrote:Again, this is really well done, all the tricks are in there, a spot of sidechaining, and hiding the kick on the snare hit all that, but thats also what keeps it from being original. The genre takes away from the originality by definition, if you know what I mean.
You're talking about my track? :)

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Yep. Very nice production, but its rare to find originality in dance music nowadays. No-ones fault, just how it is nowadays in dance genres.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Perhaps the closest you can get to originality with dance music is to just write what flows, then remix it yourself into dance genre of choice, rather than setting out to make a dance track.

I find if you start aiming for a dance genre track - thats what it ends up as - if your lucky, but if its missing something, energy or whatever, then it kind of falls flat as it doesnt have alot else to stand on.

For alot of electro these days, I'm acually really going off it (muscially its mostly shite, rhythmically and processing wise its been done to death...) except for really well done remixes, but even those are becomming few far between. The reason for liking the well done remixes? quite simple - those elements of the original track that are artfully kept and energised etc. Whatever all the trance and progressive house haters might think - there is alot of very musical trance around (of course alot of crap too, like every genre).

All that said - I sometimes listen to guitar band stuff - and TBH - I actually cant tell one band apart from the next. Sure, you recognise specific tracks, but can I ever pick out some aspect of the band that is unique to them apart from perhaps the sound of a specific singers voice? Rarely.

Right - time for me to have a good listen to all your music :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

esemdi

Post by esemdi » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:33 pm

The Leveller wrote:Yep. Very nice production, but its rare to find originality in dance music nowadays. No-ones fault, just how it is nowadays in dance genres.
Haha, yeah, I know! As I said, it's very (I mean VERY) hard to be original nowadays. The best you can do is trying to establish your own sound. That way people would listen to your tracks and say "Hey, it's that crappy producer from Romania!".

Thank you for your kind words!

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:35 pm

The Leveller wrote:OK, I give in. :D Here's one of my latest called 100 Billion Suns, gots you some geetar, gots you some mandolin, gots you some synths, gots you some glitched up drums and some latin perc...drenched in all sorts of influences. Original? No, I doubt it, but perhaps a unique style? I hope so, thats what I'm aiming for I guess.

100 Billion Suns
Interesting piece for sure. Sounds like you grew up with Yes and Genesis in the background? Personally, I think the rhythm programming has a lot of great moves without all the beat repeat stuff, which just sounds tired at this point in time. I think you also need to do some bass taming. Overall it's got some nice melodic hooks and surely shows some unique approaches.
Image Image