Who thinks their music is original?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
macmurphy

Re: Who thinks their music is original?

Post by macmurphy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:47 pm

a couple of tunes from late last year...

http://soundcloud.com/deccan-traps/dellussa

http://soundcloud.com/deccan-traps/low-draee
polyslax wrote:
macmurphy wrote:i've never consciously tried to emulate anyone
I could've sworn you were doing kind of a Human League channeling Jethro Tull thing... maybe just me. :)

Seriously, love your stuff Neil and to me there are original touches all over it.
Human League and Jethro Tull.. yeah, now that you mention it :wink:

thanks Matt. your music is some of the most original stuff i've ever heard.

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Neil and Matt, sitting in a tree... :D

Mutual man love, respect.

I am aware of your works guys from previous Leveller incarnations friending you on soundcloud including adam-g...although don't think I ever made the link to 'Khazul-couldntfitanotherthinginmestudio' here on the abes.

Always open to a spot of Deccan Traps too now and then, always enjoyed.

I agree, you guys have proved a point actually. One can reference their influences and still have originality, I guess thats what you were getting at Angstrom?

The day will end on a high note then, I like that.

I suppose I am still on the jhourney to find 'my sound' in its completeness. maybe I never will. Each track I make I get a little closer I feel.

Maybe it is all about the journey anyway.

Fuuuuuuck, deep. 8O

jtdj

Post by jtdj » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:06 pm

here is a hotlink to my latest effort http://www.filefreak.com/files/771601_l ... 282%29.mp3

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:43 pm

The Leveller wrote:Neil and Matt, sitting in a tree... :D
:lol:
The Leveller wrote:I suppose I am still on the jhourney to find 'my sound' in its completeness. maybe I never will. Each track I make I get a little closer I feel.

Fuuuuuuck, deep. 8O
so true. i don't the journey ever ends :)

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:59 pm

macmurphy wrote:
The Leveller wrote:Neil and Matt, sitting in a tree... :D
:lol:

I think I could be quite happy sitting in a tree with Neil. :)
macmurphy wrote:
The Leveller wrote:I suppose I am still on the jhourney to find 'my sound' in its completeness. maybe I never will. Each track I make I get a little closer I feel.

Fuuuuuuck, deep. 8O
so true. i don't the journey ever ends :)
Indeed, finding your voice can take many years (did for me anyhow). If you're not enjoying the ride to that spot then it could be time to throw in the towel.
Image Image

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:02 pm

For me its not the music thats so muich of an issue tbh, been a musician for a very long time. But nowadays with your DAW and computer capable of professional results you need some time for your produciton skills to measure up. Suddenly you have to be a musician AND a recording engineer AND a producer, all at the same level of expertise to get the best out of your music.

I'm happy with where I am now, I get the results I want and it sounds as i want it to sound but there is always more to learn, new tools to employ and new avenues on the journey to explore.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:09 pm

The Leveller wrote:For me its not the music thats so muich of an issue tbh, been a musician for a very long time. But nowadays with your DAW and computer capable of professional results you need some time for your produciton skills to measure up. Suddenly you have to be a musician AND a recording engineer AND a producer, all at the same level of expertise to get the best out of your music.

I'm happy with where I am now, I get the results I want and it sounds as i want it to sound but there is always more to learn, new tools to employ and new avenues on the journey to explore.
Yeah, it can be terribly frustrating when you just want to get the music out of your head but you then have this atrocious amount of learning to do to get the proper sound. There's very little other than time and practice that can remedy it, unless you can afford to hire. The good news is that things do become more intuitive, almost second nature, after a while.
Image Image

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Indeed, thats why I stick with Live. The idea of having to learn another DAW again makes me itch.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:02 pm

i rather like the fact i have to be an engineer and a producer as well as musician - i like 100% control - but yes, it is a lot to learn.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:12 pm

I couldn't really give a fuck if my music is 100% my own sound. I make the music I love and I draw influence from all over the place... If that means it ends up sounding similar to some other techno artists, then great, my tracks will drop nicely into some DJ's set alongside other tracks I love and I get to listen to someone play my music and dance with people while they enjoy it...
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:15 pm

The Leveller wrote:although don't think I ever made the link to 'Khazul-couldntfitanotherthinginmestudio' here on the abes.
Selling most of it off now - hardly anything next to me now apart from bare essentials for recording/monitoring and playing keys and rhythms :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:25 pm

8O No way!

Olly your techno rocks mate, and for that type of music genre is very important and there are rules that must be followed. But you do what you do very well. :D

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:38 pm

The Leveller wrote:8O No way!

Olly your techno rocks mate, and for that type of music genre is very important and there are rules that must be followed. But you do what you do very well. :D
what he said :D

casiblake

Post by casiblake » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Simple answer: Yes, hear for yourself.
-- Blake Casimir : Melodic Space Techno / Electro / Ambient Galaxies --
Bandcamp Orbital Station / Soundcloud Nebula / Warp Portal Homepage

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Now thats just spamming. :D