Who thinks their music is original?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Leveller

Re: Who thinks their music is original?

Post by The Leveller » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:48 pm

If only I could understand. :|

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:03 pm

abletontrainer.com wrote:
The Leveller wrote:Lists of things 3-phase understands better than the normal people:

1. Making music, particularly techno.
2. The irrelevance of all these toys that the young peoples use for their musics.
3. Wagner.
4. Lots of other stuff we cannot possibly hope to understand.
:D

you forgot:
5. how shit Ableton Live is, thus
6. anyone who uses said is an amateur

If I may:

7. How to inflate your discography by including all the mix tapes you've ever made for family and friends.

:P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:40 pm

You guys should check out some of his music to hear what true originality sounds like, maybe then you'd give him the respect he deserves. you amateurs!
I'd post a link, but sadly I can only find the stuff he must have done back in 1988. Its all that vague minimal acid house which was so popular to produce back then. I'm guessing it was him that first came up with that sound, then all those amateurs coppied him. Typical!

I'd love to hear his current stuff though. From the suffering which goes into it, I bet it's amazing!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Angstrom wrote:originality

respect

popular

suffering

Hmm. I think you're on to something here, Ang. Yes, yes you are. :!:

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:56 pm

Yeah, and I just listened to a bit of his stuff.................

It's definitely "out there" but I'm sorry to say.......In a good way 8O

Reminds me of taking Heroin, Ketamin and Acid (when it was all good shit) all at the
same time and realising that there was more to life than this............. :roll:

OK, I know sarcasm doesn't travel well on teh interwebz but.....

I think Mr.Phase has his feet encased in an already dried out mix of Teutonic concrete.

Sieg Heil. :twisted:

Z.

soundsliketree

Post by soundsliketree » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:31 am

It's an interesting thought - originality. I used to try really hard to be unique, but over the past several years have focused more on making what I feel as my implicit, inner bizarreness more accessible... not all the time, but to create entrances/portals... sort of a breathing back and forth between what feels more/less alien. All completely subjective, of course. In the end, I just try to keep making music and stay out of my head.

Here's a new release, "Underglow": http://eomusic.bandcamp.com/album/underglow

This all-original mix is sort of a Tribal/Balkan/Bellydance kind of thing: http://eomusic.bandcamp.com/track/gyrogenesis-mix

This one is on the twilighty/fairyworld tip: http://eomusic.bandcamp.com/track/hypnomorph-mix

The two mixes above are free downloads.
Enjoy,
E O

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:05 am

at leaszt you are not talking bullshit about music anymore...

so i again did something good for the comunity...

and my first release that sounds like techno/acid is from 83.. a tape release.. and in that time part of the industrial scene.. before that i playd 4 years in punk bands...after that i recorded many bands in my studio from all genres including classical pieces, jazz,, and underground stuff from nicky sudden.. mick harvey..die haut hugo race. aso and worked as foh engineer for a couple of indy bands..and was some times house technican of the berlin concertclub loft...
than the techno times started...

i am pretty aware of contemporary music in all aspects and have heard the talks about that ther cant be something new anymore aroud evry 10 years since the 80´s

so stop bubbeling shit and focus on beeing original.. its defently possible when you only try and dont fall back to cheap excuses for your lazyness
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:30 am

soundsliketree wrote:It's an interesting thought - originality. I used to try really hard to be unique, but over the past several years have focused more on making what I feel as my implicit, inner bizarreness more accessible... not all the time, but to create entrances/portals... sort of a breathing back and forth between what feels more/less alien. All completely subjective, of course. In the end, I just try to keep making music and stay out of my head.

i havent listened to your tracks..but thats exactly the attitude that makes you becomin a musican..and therfore an original artist. so regardless of your tracks you are on the wright way

The attempt beeing unique is a shildish and shelfish egocentric approach that has nothing to do with the natur of music.. music is not there to enhance your little beeing.
And with xy billions humans on the planet..how likely is it to be realy unique? thats an illusion.

And with music? endless possibilitys..but music isnt a random formula.. its part of nature..otherwise its noise... and how unique is it to do just noise?
the only way to be really unique with music is to use tools nobody else has..
or use them ways nobody else has used them before.. a leading force in electronic music..
vorsprung durch technik.. but thats only a trick. We do stoneage music with the aid of synthezisers and call it new? not really...

while my generation still had a grip on that in the electronic domain quite easily.. it is getting harder more and more to use that cheap trick ..so with the total amount of musicans and especially fakers around theese days..how likely is it to be 100% unique..and stay that way for more than 1 week?

nice when you by accident get that for a moment in time.. but that defently cant be the goal music is aiming for..

to be originial in your work on the other hand is mandatory to call yourself a musican or artist..

otherwise you are just a fake..what is ok as hobby.. but not as releasing artist..
The union will come upon you when you do unqualified releases that waste bandwidth..at least it should do so...

and while a faker might still call himself a producer.. be aware that a baker is a producer aswell and probably a more original one.

:lol: :lol:

fanboy bashing is big fun... some call it arrogance.. i call it... :mrgreen:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 am

^who are you again? :?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:45 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:^who are you again? :?
somebody that is not talkin bullshit little fanny 8)

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:00 am

This guy?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:21 am

glenn303 wrote:
This guy?

thats actually pretty much how i picture you guys ... and pretty much like your statements sound..

but i see your problems with originality... you dont have own content,, therfore you only can react to others content.. positive or negativ.. allways just a quote you got from somwhere else.
what makes it pretty monochrome

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:50 am

Rinsemeister wrote:

an already dried out mix of Teutonic concrete.
http://soundcloud.com/mr-zed

well put. thats just an on spot review..

compare with this one..

http://eomusic.bandcamp.com/album/underglow

so much alive in comparison

thats what originality actually is.. the difference between generic sound collages a machine can put together aswell... and music...

booth links are wildering in similar trance cliches... quite related.. not really avantgardistic for the year 2011...

but while the one guy is following some arrangement presets.. is the other actually playing with the elements..giving them there own original life again.. regardlees wether you ve heard similar things befor or not.. the track is taking you somewhere and therefor is something.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:58 am

I don't think my stuff is that original. It's fairly original, but not anywhere near what I would consider genre defining groups like Kraftwerk, Black Sabbath, The Ramones, Pink Floyd, Moridor, Grandmaster Flash, Throbbing Gristle, Ministry, Slayer, Venetian Snares, Bauhaus etc. Groups that really changed music enough to make new categories.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:15 am

Machinesworking wrote:I don't think my stuff is that original. It's fairly original, but not anywhere near what I would consider genre defining groups like Kraftwerk, Black Sabbath, The Ramones, Pink Floyd, Moridor, Grandmaster Flash, Throbbing Gristle, Ministry, Slayer, Venetian Snares, Bauhaus etc. Groups that really changed music enough to make new categories.

and non of the ones you mention can compare to jimmi hendrix or monzart...

and so what? its enough to be original ..your music dont necessarily needs to be a lifechanging experiance to be good..

especially in comparison to the mass of generic productions we have theese days

and by beeing original.. you never know..maybe you do one day a track that is inspiring others in the same way music of your mentioned bands has inspired you.
I would say that by chance this can happen to any honest musican.. you only need to be monzart to do it 100 times in a row or to reach the whole global population.. big in japan is allready quite something ;-).. even big in one city can be quite something..house music started this way..and its hard to say who has made the first house tracks.. was a development you cant nail to a single individual..but the involved tracks was surly originals..each of them.. that made it an own genre.. not that everybody sounded the same..
Last edited by 3phase on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.