Do you use monitor isolation pads?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
piZMo

Do you use monitor isolation pads?

Post by piZMo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:22 pm

Do you use monitor isolation pads? If yes, did/do they make a noticable difference to your monitoring environment? What brand/model are you using? Would you recommend them? Just curious.

Tone Deft

Re: Do you use monitor isolation pads?

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:08 pm

absolutely. just the standard Auralex pads. without them my Adams sound like crap.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:40 pm

but keep in mind that any foam block would have this fx...

essentially you pay for the cut on this product and the packaging....the rest is considred as packaging material..

not real decoupling foam..

real decoupling studio foam has to keep its precise elasticity for decades..
this stuff hardly surrives one decade before getting hard and sqashed..

but great idea to make a product fromm 100% packaging materials.. you can have it all manufactored in one go at the same packaging materials factory ;-)

and you can be pretty sure that the customers of this kind of products dont care in years time what their dusty foamblocks are doing..or not doing...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Rave

Post by Rave » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:45 am

Yes, primacoustics. They rock

Rave

Post by Rave » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:15 am

Johbremat wrote:Are people using isolation pads when using monitor stands?

I've been looking at the Ultimates which would stand in my room on carpet. They've got removable pins at the bottom that claim (further) isolation (versus having them attached in any form to your work surface).
Yes. My stands are on 'pins' too.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:42 am

Being on low budgets, I built my own. Cut out of rubber. It seems to help a bit actually, but its purely experimental! :D

coldbuggin

Post by coldbuggin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:35 pm

yup, i notice the difference

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:15 pm

mine levitate. the ultimate in decoupling!

no. they don't. i use auralex pads. the alternative would be to sit them directly on a long thick wooden bench which sounds awful.

gjm

Post by gjm » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:30 pm

This is Tony Cousins (apparently) doing some mixing work for Peter Gabriels New Blood Album due for release. The photo came from PG's facebook page last week.

1. No isolation pads on those desktop monitors.

2. What monitors do you think they are?

iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

!STiTCH!

Post by !STiTCH! » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:06 pm

As many have stated, they do seem to be made out of packing material. That being said, I made my own. I used a dense packing foam about 9"x9". I cut and glued into the indented space that holds the product 1.5" of MDF board, and then covered that with extra carpet from the sub box I put into car. It definately cut out a ringing sound caused by vibration on my desktop, and the lows seem a lil clearer. If my homemade crack job works, I would bet the engineered versions, albeit made of packing material, will make an even greater difference.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:48 pm

i see tony cousins is using china cones. hmm. i wonder.. they certainly look nicer than foam :)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:17 pm

macmurphy wrote:i see tony cousins is using china cones. hmm. i wonder.. they certainly look nicer than foam :)
yep... da conez

its the same concept though... you're separating the monitor from the surface.

the foam is just a means to the same end.

i use Auralex pads. I think i paid 25 bucks for em... if i have to shell out another 25 bucks after a decade of use i don't think i'll whine about it too hard.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:04 pm

I used to use the Auralex ones with my HR824's and liked them. Since I got the Opals though, I just use the rubber ones the Opals come with. Trying to use the MoPads with those too seemed to make things worse, which is not what I would have expected.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:36 pm

H20nly wrote:
macmurphy wrote:i see tony cousins is using china cones. hmm. i wonder.. they certainly look nicer than foam :)
yep... da conez

its the same concept though... you're separating the monitor from the surface.

the foam is just a means to the same end.

i use Auralex pads. I think i paid 25 bucks for em... if i have to shell out another 25 bucks after a decade of use i don't think i'll whine about it too hard.

sure.. just 25 euro for rubish.. i bought for 25 euro the real stuff.. isolated 20 subwoofers for the telekom showroom with that.. the suround speaker set of the studio of big german university.. and my 4 speaker setsplus my subwoover..and..there is still enough left to do another 8 speaker pairs.. besides, theese foam blocks look ugly...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:57 pm

What exactly is the "real stuff"? Link?