pretty lights basslines

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
bedroomDJ

Re: pretty lights basslines

Post by bedroomDJ » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:51 pm

haha and hello from mammoth lakes! i have some good friends from Minneapolis out here, my friends uncle runs some place called harmony park. hopefully if all this music production and dj'ing goes well, im going to be able to play there one of theese summers!!

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:48 pm

bedroomDJ wrote:haha and hello from mammoth lakes! i have some good friends from Minneapolis out here, my friends uncle runs some place called harmony park. hopefully if all this music production and dj'ing goes well, im going to be able to play there one of theese summers!!
I freaking LOVE harmony park. I played there last year for a small festival and will play again this year. If everything goes well we'll be playing harvest fest at the end of this summer.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:51 pm

bedroomDJ wrote:Thank you for the crash course on layering synths. so for a full range bass synth you need at least three layers? is there a point where ur adding to many layers like 5 or 6?

Also to use compression, from what i've looked at, you have to side chain it to somthing. is that not true? the EQ8 is fun and easy to tune sounds with, and i've seen cool things with side chaining a gater as well. I saw a video where a guy muted a track with kick drums repeating and side chained to that. i also feel like i saw a different more logical technique to side chain but i forget what it was.
You can use as many layers as you like, it's your sound after all, but there will come a point when it will sound muddy. The point is that each layer has a specific role in creating the sound you want. I just used 3 because I can break it down to lo, mid, and highs in my brain pretty easily.

As far as compression, no you don't need to side chain it, you can use the effect as is to help glue your individual synths together. I always put some kind of effect to do this so my synth sounds like a single cohesive synth as opposed to 3 distinct layers. Auto filter is great for this as well.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent