ReCycle or Stylus RMX?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
agent314

Re: ReCycle or Stylus RMX?

Post by agent314 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:09 am

agent314 - all the RMX patterns are driven by MIDI, so rather than resampling them you can just drag the relevant MIDI pattern into a session slot - just set up a bunch of MIDI tracks in Live and have them send to the appropriate RMX MIDI channel. That way you get the launching flexibility of session view, but retain the audio flexibility that's built in to RMX.
I've been trying this, but it seems that if I drag MIDI clips out, I can't use the Chaos parameters (pattern/repeat/dynamics) in realtime/via clips, which is part of what I'm trying to do. I can capture it to MIDI after the fact, but I can't, say, record it in realtime.

There doesn't seem to be proper clip automation available for those controls directly, but if you MIDI-Learn them to a CC# and automate the CC in the clip, that seems to do the trick.

I'm also trying to turn on and off the different playback channels in RMX via dummy clips, but it seems you can only have VST-specific automation in MIDI clips that are actually on that track (rather than separate tracks sending their MIDI info to the VST)

It can be pretty CPU intensive if you start using a lot of channels and effects in RMX, so I guess it would depend on your computer specs. Worth trying out for yourself though.
I'm using two instances of RMX with 8 loops playing and effects on almost every loop, and it's only hitting 5% CPU.

I'm hoping to be able to use it as a groovebox for live performance, so figuring out a workflow that allows on-the-fly changes to loops and patterns fairly easily (and ideally without looking at the screen) that minimizes CPU is going to be key.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:15 am

agent314 wrote:...

I'm also trying to turn on and off the different playback channels in RMX via dummy clips, but it seems you can only have VST-specific automation in MIDI clips that are actually on that track (rather than separate tracks sending their MIDI info to the VST) ...
interesting challenge you have set up for yourself. although i haven't tried this out for myself, apparently if you use a vst's built-in midi-learn (instead of using ableton's midi learn), you can then ship midi automation to the vst from cc's in clips, and I'm pretty sure this extends so far as to allow you to route cc's as well (although routing can get tricky, you may need to tweak the "monitor" settings of the vst track).

the vst-parameter automation (not using midi mapping inside the vst), while elegant, is limited to one channel. i have this same limitation with omnisphere. i used an m4l patch to work around the limitation (I think one of vayner's excellent 16-macros m4l patches), where basically i put one m4l 16-macro patch on each of 8 channels in live, and each of those 16-macros patches had automation connections that routed to track 1, via some special voodoo that only m4l is entitled to at the moment.

octopod

Post by octopod » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:53 am

I don't have RMX but a friend does and had some joy using External Instrument plugins to route midi to RMX and get the audio out on it's own track. Dunno if this will help you but could be worth playing with.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:25 pm

interesting challenge you have set up for yourself. although i haven't tried this out for myself, apparently if you use a vst's built-in midi-learn (instead of using ableton's midi learn), you can then ship midi automation to the vst from cc's in clips, and I'm pretty sure this extends so far as to allow you to route cc's as well (although routing can get tricky, you may need to tweak the "monitor" settings of the vst track).
Yeah, I think the CC mapping is going to be the way to go for automating. not the most elegant solution, but if it works, I won't complain too much.
the vst-parameter automation (not using midi mapping inside the vst), while elegant, is limited to one channel. i have this same limitation with omnisphere. i used an m4l patch to work around the limitation (I think one of vayner's excellent 16-macros m4l patches), where basically i put one m4l 16-macro patch on each of 8 channels in live, and each of those 16-macros patches had automation connections that routed to track 1, via some special voodoo that only m4l is entitled to at the moment.
More and more I find myself wanting M4L for exactly stuff like this. All the fancy instruments and toys are fun, but the idea of even just basic functionality-expansion like this is so tempting.

Debating whether to just pull the trigger now or wait to see if there are any developments released at MMesse.