MIDI CONTROLLER WITH KNOBS AND FADERS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
emotionz22

MIDI CONTROLLER WITH KNOBS AND FADERS

Post by emotionz22 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:06 am

Hey ladies and gents ...i just purchased a korg padkontrol to add to my set up for drums and i already have a m-audio axiom 49 keyboard...which im going to use for eq , effects etc...but now i want more knobs and faders ...i feel like ive seen it all....im also working with Ableton live 7

i'm thinking about getting a

novation remote zero sl or
behringer bcf2000

i still want other suggestions for other midi controllers BY THE WAY I DON'T WANT A APC 40 LOL
I DON'T DJ AND THATS MORE AIMED AT DJS MORE THAN PRODUCERS ...ITS A PRETTY PIECE OF HARDWARE BUT NOT FOR ME I JUST WANT A CONTROLLER WITH KNOBS AND FADERS TO CONTROL MACROS ETC

my price range $1oo to 200$

once again i want a midi controller with knobs and faders at my price range if its possible lol
:D

fx23

Re: MIDI CONTROLLER WITH KNOBS AND FADERS

Post by fx23 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:13 am

FIRST DON'T SPEAK THAT LOUD WITH HURTING EYES RED TYPOS

then for that price range nothing beats the old BCF2K, a very good cheap but quality and modular starting unit.

emotionz22

Post by emotionz22 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:19 am

lol i wanted ppl to feel my indecisive pain...thank you by the way ...BCF2000 is my last choice if i don't find anything else worth mixing with...by the way did it take you forever to program it...i was sort of looking for a plug in play type of controller but if its worth programming then i don't mind doing that either just don't want my work flow to be slowed down

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:10 am

Programming is a breeze.. Very easy.

emotionz22

Post by emotionz22 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:45 am

Lol I sure hope ur right cuz I plan on getting it..I seen in other forumz ppl said it took a lot of time programming ...and I know nothin about midi mapping ...I'm just learnin how map on my axiom 49 smh lol.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:36 pm

Evolution UC-33e. Discontinued, but cheeeeeep and plentiful second-hand. Solid build too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Evolution-UC-33e-US ... 009wt_1141
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:05 pm

bcf is quite easy to pgm, either by build in menu or an editor. of course every midi ctrl needs a bit of clue about midi. that's not that hard to learn and in most case you will just assign a note or CC, wich is a fraction of midi possibilities, you won't and don't need to bother understand the complex syssex or all the various deeper midi aspects. the only thing u have to understand is a midi message is composed of 4 messages:
channel (group ID) from 1 to 16 (to let you control different tracks or devices, ie a synth per channel)
type (note, CC) or other (transport,pitch bend, aftertoouch you won't need to bother at start, just use CCs).
code1 (note or CC nb/ID) from 0 to 127 (the identification nb of the control you move)
code2 (Note velocity or CC value). from 0 to 127 (the value sent by the controller)

the BCF let you configure all the stuff for each knob/fader/button in a very simple way, or use build in ready made presets you can tweak. it's filled with various interesting visual feedback types for encoders, possibility to set buttons to toggle, momentary or increment behavious, the motorized faders can recall the daw value, wich are 3 features unmatched on any devices in that price range from a while now.it has even more in depth possibilities like set the 2 differents values to send for swichs CCs, like instead of 0..127 send 12..80 or whatever,even if this can be anyway esier to set directly in live it can have interesting applications. presets are easy to save, make and recall, i would go for it.

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:44 pm

If you're in the US audiomidi.com has some b-stock Novation Remote SL Zero MK1's for $129. A great price for a cool piece of gear. It interfaces really well with Ableton with minimal setup.

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:15 am

i'm a drummer as well and use the korg nano kontrol. i was in a similar situation as you, but then i bought a 20 dollar add on to the kontrol from nativekontrol. they have add ons for all types of controllers. anyway, for twenty bucks my korg nano now does way more way easier, and i didnt have to buy another controller. just a suggestion, i'm in no way affiliated with the site.

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:25 am

If you have an axiom-49, guess what; THAT'S ALL YOU NEED. if you need more than that' you're doing it wrong.

You can use bome's midi translator and set up different "banks" of faders/knobs that can be enabled with a press of a button.

No need to waste money on stuff you wont use anyway...

m:o

Post by m:o » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:13 am

I use a BCF in Mackie mode together with Live.
The controlling of devices inside a track is
pretty simple with the top row endless encoders.
Also you get pretty hands on control for your sends.

be sure to use huskervu, a 3rd party mackie display emualtion
wich let you see the current pararmeters pretty acurate with live.
-> http://www.xmlconsulting.co.nz/husker/huskervu.htm
i paid 80€ for my bcf and coulnd'nt be happier.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:40 am

fx23 wrote:FIRST DON'T SPEAK THAT LOUD WITH HURTING EYES RED TYPOS

then for that price range nothing beats the old BCF2K, a very good cheap but quality and modular starting unit.
Be thankful it wasnt bright pink!
Nothing to see here - move along!

emotionz22

Post by emotionz22 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:44 am

seattletruth wrote:If you have an axiom-49, guess what; THAT'S ALL YOU NEED. if you need more than that' you're doing it wrong.

You can use bome's midi translator and set up different "banks" of faders/knobs that can be enabled with a press of a button.

No need to waste money on stuff you wont use anyway...

DAMN SOMEONE JUST TOLD ME THE SAME THING ...I JUST BOUGHT A KORG PADKONTROL CUZ I CAUGHT UP IN THE HYPE OF IT BEING SHOWN ON YOUTUBE...BUT MY BOY TOLD ME IT WAS A WASTE OF MONEY SINCE I HAD THE AXIOM...I JUST POSTED A TOPIC ABOUT THIS CUZ IM TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO USE MY AXIOM...WHAT IS A BOMES MIDI TRANSLATOR...AND IS THERE A TUTORIAL ON HOW TO PROGRAM EVERYTHING AND WHAT EVERYTHING IS ...I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT BANKS, ZONE, GROUP ABC, AND PRESETS MEAN TO BE HONEST IM NEW AT THIS MIDI STUFF LOL...

emotionz22

Post by emotionz22 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:45 am

Khazul wrote:
fx23 wrote:FIRST DON'T SPEAK THAT LOUD WITH HURTING EYES RED TYPOS

Be thankful it wasnt bright pink!

HEY IM NEW TO THIS FORUM SHIT GIVE A SISTER A BREAK lol

wascal

Post by wascal » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:47 am

emotionz22 wrote:AND IS THERE A TUTORIAL ON HOW TO PROGRAM EVERYTHING AND WHAT EVERYTHING IS ...I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT BANKS, ZONE, GROUP ABC, AND PRESETS MEAN TO BE HONEST IM NEW AT THIS MIDI STUFF LOL...
HERE YOU GO MATE: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=setting+up+a+midi+ ... er+ableton

FFS
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal