Macbook advice...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
Wilco75
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:27 am

Macbook advice...

Post by Wilco75 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Hello all, i'm relatively new to both Ableton and Macs. I've used Ableton for years as a way to record my ideas but never got down to the nitty gritty of it until recently. Now i'm using it rather intensely as a tool and instrument and thus invested in a Macbook Pro 13" Core 2duo 2.4ghz. This was exactly 29 days ago and since i bought it at a store here in Sweden that offers 30day money back guarantee even if the item is used i'm considering exchanging it tomorrow for the new i5 13". I just can't decide if it's the right thing to do. I've put a lot of time into customizing it so that it will work for me. I'm basically limiting it to only Ableton and music production. No games and/or family photos and vids etc. so graphics are not an integral issue. Running the Live performance test from these forums, my cpu works at about 50% and I even increased the number of track to 18 or something without any real audio problems.

The reason this is so important to me is because i bought it on a 40 month payment plan (no interest, no fees) and i just feel like if i'm gonna be locked in that long, then i better have the latest and best, but some of the issues that I've caught wind of (running hot, loud fans) have me worried.

What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance.

cids
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:53 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: Macbook advice...

Post by cids » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:44 pm

If you have the change, get the latest and the greatest!
Mac Pro 2.66Ghz Quad-Core

Genelec 8020; Live 10; macOS Mojave 10.14

Novation ReMOTE 49SL Compact, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14

McQ714
Posts: 1851
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Macbook advice...

Post by McQ714 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:40 pm

Exchange for the new MBP!

Khazul
Posts: 3185
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Reading, UK

Re: Macbook advice...

Post by Khazul » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:46 pm

Maybe make sure it has some horrendous 'manufacturing fault' before exchanging it? ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

HeadrickProductions
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Macbook advice...

Post by HeadrickProductions » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Mac's can run hot. The case they are built in is great for conducting heat :mrgreen: . If you only use ableton I would not worry that much. I'd think that ableton is going 64 bit soon and I would get as much RAM as possible. Most everything should be 64 bit soon. I'm sure you realize that they are about to come out with the new MBP this summer so if your wanting the latest and greatest then I'd wait.

Oh yeah impressive that your from Sweden and say Ya'll. I spend a few months over there and never heard anyone in scandanavia say Ya'll
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

Khazul
Posts: 3185
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Reading, UK

Re: Macbook advice...

Post by Khazul » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:14 pm

So stick it on one of those cosey fur lined neoprene cases while its on should pretty much kill it? ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

Wilco75
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:27 am

Re: Macbook advice...

Post by Wilco75 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:31 pm

HeadrickProductions...

Lol, i'm originally from New York. Been living here for 10 years. Whether I can get away with saying "Y'all" as a New Yorker is another question. Being representative for ALL things American has it's advantages and disadvantages. Getting away with southern coloquialisms is one of the pluses. :wink:

Regarding the MBP. I hear what you're saying and if i had the luxury of waiting of course I would. I'm sure that the new MBP is wrought with problems that will be addressed in coming updates, but it's just that I have this chance. If it wasn't hanging over my head, I would be convincing myself that I've got a great computer already that suits my needs and just wait for the thing to die on before considering a new mac.

But i suppose it's better to have the newest of the last series than the youngest of the new series regarding bugs and technical problems.

Wilco75
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:27 am

Re: Macbook advice...

Post by Wilco75 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:33 pm

McQ714 wrote:Exchange for the new MBP!
Thanks for the reply. Any specific reasons why? Thanks again.

McQ714
Posts: 1851
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Macbook advice...

Post by McQ714 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:29 pm

performance of i5 or i7 is better than the core 2 duo.

just telling you what i would do.

Wilco75
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:27 am

Re: Macbook advice...

Post by Wilco75 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:51 pm

McQ714 wrote:performance of i5 or i7 is better than the core 2 duo.

just telling you what i would do.

Cool. Thank you.

Post Reply