Voltage Control and Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rabalder

Voltage Control and Live

Post by Rabalder » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:49 am

I know you can send CV with live, so I suspect you can receive CV aswell..
But can Live use the received CV to control internal midi parameters? Or only external CV gear?

Liam

Re: Voltage Control and Live

Post by Liam » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Rabalder wrote:I know you can send CV with live, so I suspect you can receive CV aswell..
But can Live use the received CV to control internal midi parameters? Or only external CV gear?
You would need a CV to MIDI converter hardware device I think. CV contains electric power current and there is no way to stick that into a normal midi interface.

CV = Control VOLTAGE

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:29 pm

how do you send CV w/ live?? :?: :?:

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:57 pm

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:06 pm

very cool, i was considering VOLTA from MOTU when i had all my rack gear but i've sold it all now.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:03 pm

epiphanius wrote:
how do you send CV w/ live??
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html
Sweet....thanks :-)

0fps

Post by 0fps » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Motu has designed a very convenient software for this job.
http://www.motu.com/products/software/volta/
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 am

Can Live receive CV with Volta?

0fps

Post by 0fps » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:44 pm

Yes.
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:53 am

Are you sure?
Doesnt say anything about CV input in the highlights:

•Standard virtual instrument plug-in that turns an audio interface with DC-coupled outputs into a voltage control interface.
•Lets you control external modular synths or other CV-equipped gear from your computer.
•Works with Digital Performer, Logic Pro, Live and other Audio Unit instrument hosts that support side chain outputs.
•Works with any MOTU audio interface equipped with TRS outputs, including the 24io with 24 TRS outputs, expandable to 96.
•Familiar, easy-to-use instrument plug-in operation within your favorite host software.
Provides 24 control outputs per plug-in instance. Use as many instances as needed.
•Converts MIDI track data to control voltages to play modulars, analog synthesizers and other CV-equipped sound sources.
•Sample-accurate MIDI playback with supporting host software (such as DP).
•Provides seven different control source types, including MIDI notes, MIDI controller data and audio track automation, plus tempo-synced sources such as LFOs, clock pulses and trigger/pattern sequencers.
•Provides one-click pitch and octave calibration per oscillator using either Hz/V or V/oct tuning standards.
•View at a glance the total calibrated range for each oscillator/interface combination.
•Sync multiple drum machines, arpeggiators and other clock destinations with independent PPQ resolution for each device.

cabletone

Post by cabletone » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:35 pm

i think u can send cv w/o a plugin, directly from live as long as u have a dc coupled interface such as motu. i think i remember seeing a video about it on utube...

0fps

Post by 0fps » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Rabalder wrote:Are you sure?
Doesnt say anything about CV input in the highlights:

•Standard virtual instrument plug-in that turns an audio interface with DC-coupled outputs into a voltage control interface.
•Lets you control external modular synths or other CV-equipped gear from your computer.
•Works with Digital Performer, Logic Pro, Live and other Audio Unit instrument hosts that support side chain outputs.
•Works with any MOTU audio interface equipped with TRS outputs, including the 24io with 24 TRS outputs, expandable to 96.
•Familiar, easy-to-use instrument plug-in operation within your favorite host software.
Provides 24 control outputs per plug-in instance. Use as many instances as needed.
•Converts MIDI track data to control voltages to play modulars, analog synthesizers and other CV-equipped sound sources.
•Sample-accurate MIDI playback with supporting host software (such as DP).
•Provides seven different control source types, including MIDI notes, MIDI controller data and audio track automation, plus tempo-synced sources such as LFOs, clock pulses and trigger/pattern sequencers.
•Provides one-click pitch and octave calibration per oscillator using either Hz/V or V/oct tuning standards.
•View at a glance the total calibrated range for each oscillator/interface combination.
•Sync multiple drum machines, arpeggiators and other clock destinations with independent PPQ resolution for each device.
Weird, I saw a video that a guy was recording a cv signal and then he was using it via Volta.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:34 pm

cabletone wrote:i think u can send cv w/o a plugin, directly from live as long as u have a dc coupled interface such as motu. i think i remember seeing a video about it on utube...
Its receiving CV and turning it in to midi Im curious about..
As far as I know, this (http://www.doepfer.de/a192.htm) is the ONE AND ONLY piece of equipment capable of doing this!
Thats really weird if you ask me!!!

@0fps: Maybe its a none-spoken-of accidental side feature!?

Maco

Post by Maco » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:48 am

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:24 am

Same problem. Midi to CV, not CV to midi..