creating electronic/house in Ableton suite 8 - Tips anyone??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
atopthepyre

creating electronic/house in Ableton suite 8 - Tips anyone??

Post by atopthepyre » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:00 pm

I'm very new to Ableton, and while I don't have any troubles creating the beats themselves, or using the synths, I'm having a lot of trouble accomplishing some of the more basic concepts of live music production. For instance, how do you create the (excuse my lack of EDM jargon) "shhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHH!!!" noise that builds up at the end of a section, just before the next beat, riff etc. comes in? It's very standard in most electronic music and it's frustrating to know exactly what I want to do and not know the way to do it.

I guess most of it just comes with hard work and screwing around in the program itself, but a lot of the in-depth editing tools (and the knowledge required to use them) float right over my head, as terms like LFO and sine aren't quite in my vocabulary yet..

So to cut that rant down-to-size, I'd like to know how to get that pressure/steam sounding "Shhhhhhhhhh" build-up that you hear in all techno, and if anyone knows of some great beginners guides in making techno feel free to toss some names out there.

Thanks a ton.

gallinainfuga

Re: creating electronic/house in Ableton suite 8 - Tips anyone??

Post by gallinainfuga » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi,
I think you can achieve the sssshh sound with a white noise:
try operator, it has a white noise waveform (also analog has one) and play asound with the filter.
Then you could try to put after the synth a compressor sidechained to the kick drum, to give it some movement...

my 0.2$
Cheers

Enrico

atopthepyre

Post by atopthepyre » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks a ton! I wouldn't be surprised if this forum soon overflows with stupid questions like this, all asked by myself. I appreciate the help though!

I'm also having a ton of trouble mapping my knobs and sliders on my M-audio Oxygen49 midi-usb keyboard, as some of them map automatically, and I'd like to map them all from scratch. I've tried MIDI Learn, and it doesn't seem to work. If anyone knows how I might go about this, any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Again!

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:25 pm

You can find tons of video tutorials on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... leton&aq=f

atopthepyre

Post by atopthepyre » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Double Damn it, is it ever good to find an active, official forum, with members that actually reply/communicate. Thanks again Everyone!

alekst1923

Post by alekst1923 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:19 am

I have it as a sample called noise eq under sweep/swell you could probably steal it from a song on youtube or something. Worst comes to worst ill send it to you.
Also make sure you use side chain compression from either or gate compressor and auto filter. The pumping effect it creates is so nice.

atopthepyre

Post by atopthepyre » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks a ton for all the help. unfortunately, I'm not NEARLY experienced enough or even educated enough to try and sidechain at the moment.. All I've figured out how to do so far is make beats, throw synths and effects over them, mess around with a whole lot of knobs (mapped to my midi controller) and mix (twist knobs and get it to play once recorded) in arrangment view. If anything I've only confused myself further the more I try to do.

for instance I've had a few times in which I record something to, or drag and drop something to the arrangement view and when I hit play, the entire song just lights up gray/becomes inactive (if that makes any sense). I've been playing guitar, bass, drums, and keys since I was 13 (8 years) but man, Ableton changes the game up quite a bit.

I'm incredibly excited to see what I can do once I get the hang of things.