do you have Info view mainly open or closed?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

do you have info view open or closed

Info view is mostly open
13%
Info view is mostly closed
87%

Total votes: 54

Angstrom

do you have Info view mainly open or closed?

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:01 am

Info view, that little pane in the bottom left that tells you weird things like "Track Volume, this slider is used to adjust and display the tracks output level" (!)

Is yours generally closed and you have to open it when needed, or mainly open and you sometimes close it.

Eh?
because mine might as well be welded shut. That thing is weird, like it's designed for people in their first week of Live use and then everyone else just closes it and forgets about it.
Last edited by Angstrom on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

cacti

Re: do you have Info view mainly open or closed?

Post by cacti » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:04 am

Closed.

Open when needed.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:14 am

Never used it, always closed.

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:38 am

if you know how to use live then what's the point? closed.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:05 am

What info view? ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:34 am

I was really excited when I learned that you could finally put notes into info view for clips, but the fact that it also shows you the help text as you navigate around the program is distracting and annoying. I wish there was an option to ONLY show user text in the help view, I'd use it a lot more for DJ notes.

bassistheplace

Post by bassistheplace » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:36 am

sometimes i open it with the keyboard shortcut if i want to learn about something, or to remind myself of what im adjusting exactly

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:30 am

I use it all the time when doing my videos and tutorials so I can figure out what I'm looking at in Live. Otherwise I'm all like? WTF filter what? Flangerwho?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:31 am

lol no, that's a lie. Info view is for noobs and girls.

Vibrations

Post by Vibrations » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:49 am

The Info is not linear.
For some devices (the newer ones), the Info view explains every parameter and for others not.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:12 am

maybe they should give the info view a more personalized feel.. i would like to see the cute windows doggy there instead.. or the talking paperclip

or maybe something usefull like editable note and position data for the midi editor..or an editor window itself.. one that grows big on one click.. than there would be a reason to open it at all.
The funtionality it represents now should be a user option in the preset window that manages your life products..
thats where such a help function on/off belongs.. an own mainscreen window with remoteable control is really a waste of valuable screen space.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:47 am

timothyallan wrote:I use it all the time when doing my videos and tutorials so I can figure out what I'm looking at in Live. Otherwise I'm all like? WTF filter what? Flangerwho?
this is something that we talked about when Ableton certified me....( at least they know I am certifiable! ;-) )

It is useful in training because it helps get the terminology that Ableton uses right, because occasionally they might describe something in different words to other DAWs

But actually I thought it was genius when I first got Live on about version 1 or 2 because it told me instantly what everything did. Once I knew I closed it, but I open it now only as a trainer so I can make sure I call everything by the right name.

So I still think it has a use for beginners, and I think it has a fairly small footprint....

I've tried to use it for lyrics, but it just disappears and I forget I put it there because there is no indicator when text is present.

Personally I think a way of editing the help view would be a better solution anyway. I'd certainly prefer to have my lyrics in that than in the tiny info view.
Last edited by Forge. on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:00 am

abletontrainer.com wrote:
timothyallan wrote:I use it all the time when doing my videos and tutorials so I can figure out what I'm looking at in Live. Otherwise I'm all like? WTF filter what? Flangerwho?
this is something that we talked about when Ableton certified me....( at least they know I am certifiable! ;-) )

It is useful in training because it helps get the terminology that Ableton uses right, because occasionally they might describe something in different words to other DAWs

But actually I thought it was genius when I first got Live on about version 1 or 2 because it told me instantly what everything did. Once I knew I closed it, but I open it now only as a trainer so I can make sure I call everything by the right name.

I've tried to use it for lyrics, but it just disappears and I forget I put it there because there is no indicator when text is present.

Personally I think a way of editing the help view would be a better solution anyway. I'd certainly prefer to have my lyrics in that than in the tiny info view.

so its there to help ableton trainers? its really funny that the easiest program on the market comes with al this aid for user training... seems that ableton expects their users total noobs and retards somehow...
but nice that they help so generously to overcome such short comings..

however.. the training mode should be a user option as the tutorials are-..
It´s not that this window hurts.. it rather hurts that other important things dont have user assignable remote buttons on the main screen. Main screen should be for gig related controls and worklow dominant functions..anyywhere else you have enough time to go to a sub menu or preffs window...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:15 am

3phase wrote:
abletontrainer.com wrote:

so its there to help ableton trainers? its really funny that the easiest program on the market comes with al this aid for user training... seems that ableton expects their users total noobs and retards somehow...
but nice that they help so generously to overcome such short comings..

however.. the training mode should be a user option as the tutorials are-..
It´s not that this window hurts.. it rather hurts that other important things dont have user assignable remote buttons on the main screen. Main screen should be for gig related controls and worklow dominant functions..anyywhere else you have enough time to go to a sub menu or preffs window...
oh FFS I could have probably typed your response for you.... Has it enriched anybody's life?

the info view is invisible, just leave it alone, it's for the noobs and has no impact on the rest of the program

one of the reasons it is the easiest to learn is because they put a lot of effort into things like info view and help view. Give them a break fro chrissakes.

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:30 am

3phase wrote:. or the talking paperclip
"It looks like you are trying to write a techno tune. Do you need help?"

"Your music is shit. Would you like me to delete it for you?"

"It looks like you don't know what you're doing. Would you like me to remove Live and all its associated programmes from your computer? I would be doing you a favour."

"Your bassline is laughable. Would you like me to generate one for you?"

"You programme drums like a four year old. Would you like me to kill you while you sleep?"

Some choice phrases I imagine the Live talking paperclip might offer the average Live user.