NES controller for ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bartend7

NES controller for ableton?

Post by bartend7 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:42 am

Hi everybody,

I just got back from my moms house, and she made me take all my old video game stuff (i took it and couldn't let her throw it away). I've been searching the internet for ways to possibly incorporate this gear into my current setup. I've come across midi NES, but i don't really want to use the whole system. i was curious as if there is an easy inexpensive way to possible convert the controllers into midi controllers (with xy axis). I've been searching the forums on here, but most are related to using the sounds from NES, (which would also be cool) but right now just seeing if this hardware can do anything, or if i should of just let my mom throw it away.

Brock

Re: NES controller for ableton?

Post by Brock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:09 am

This...

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=28

... and this ...

http://sites.google.com/site/carlkenner/glovepie

Similar in approach to using a Wiimote for sending MIDI data (read this - "http://vjkungfu.com/archive/wii-to-midi ... r-windows/" - just substitute Wiimote for NES controller, and use the 'retro-usb' NES port instead of a bluetooth dongle, and you should be able to guide yourself through the whole process of setting it up)

Might take some time to get right, but is very cheap solution for you (only paying for the retro-usb port!)

HTH

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:15 am

Thanks for the links. I should of mentioned that i'm running on Mac OsX. Looks like glovepie isn't compatable, which is a shame because it suits my needs perfectly. I ordered a retrousb anyway(found one super cheap online). I'm hoping to find a way to do this with a Mac.

gordon_strange

Post by gordon_strange » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:26 am

please do this as it will be the coolest thing in the world EVER!!!!

someone like Ben Heck would probably be able to do this in his sleep

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:40 am

I really like using videogame controllers for MIDI :)

I recently moved to a Mac and haven't tried setting it up, but I believe joystick-betterizing software like ControllerMate or USB Overdrive can be used to send MIDI from these things. I used GlovePIE when I was on Windows, and it got the job done there, but on the Mac the only things I've been messing with have been Wii controllers because of the built-in Bluetooth.

Don't throw those things away though, if you don't find a use for them - old game hardware is generally considered valuable to game fans, and you can probably find someone in your town willing to give you some money for them! I know I would if I were nearby. I love old game stuff.

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:36 pm

just a follow up from my original post.

instead of the retro usb i got a tomee nes usb controller for 8 bucks online. using this with ControllerMate software is really easy. i basically assign keyboard keys to buttons, and then map the keys to functions in ableton. I originally intended to use the old controller, keeping it hipster retro, but for the cheap price its worth it, and alot of fun. still getting it under my belt, but the good news is it works. now i'm thinking of getting a supernintendo usb, since it has more buttons. :D
Last edited by bartend7 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joefro

Post by Joefro » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:46 pm

If you can't find anything to do with it, at least sell it on ebay. I listed all my old games, system and controllers and got over $100 for them. Dont trash em

Trent

Post by Trent » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:37 pm

It would take a lot of work on your part but you can follow this tutorial to make it a USB Controller. Then you could write an AutoHotKey script to capture the hash -> convert them to key stokes -> key map to Ableton. It'd make an awesome scene controller!

dunbar

Post by dunbar » Sat May 07, 2011 4:51 pm

This sounds extremely interesting! Make sure to let us know how it goes if you dive in

ct43

Post by ct43 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:37 pm

for Wiimote on OSX I use Osculator http://www.osculator.net its got loads of really good features

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:45 am

I actually switched from Controllermate to USB overdrive. Its much easier and there are no limitations of the free software.
I basically have the NES controller set up as a mouse now. I've tried several configurations for ableton, but it seems that with only 4 buttons and a directional pad, the mouse control works best for me. I also have the select key set up as shift, and the start key as enter/return. This enables me to select groups of clips. A is click on mouse and B is right click. I like using a controller as a mouse, in conjunction with my korg nanocontrol, and novation launchpad. Its especially mad fun on VirtualNES.com for just playing the old games.
If was curious if anyone had suggestions for what they would map to a four button controller with a directional pad for live. What would you use to control live with the limited control? Note that the directional pad can also be set up as 4 buttons if you dont need directional control.

niksG

Post by niksG » Thu May 12, 2011 5:05 am

The endless hours in the office are about to fly by when you fire up MAME or an NES emulator on your computer, plug in this cool new Retro NES USB Controller ($30) and play some old school classic video games. Playing those classic games just isn't the same on the computer without having that original controller in your hands and this one is an exact replica! The only difference is that this one plugs into your USB port and no drivers are required

elephantapede

Post by elephantapede » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:59 am

Just finished my Super Ableton Live controller... with some help from this thread.