why is my final track volume so low??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: why is my final track volume so low??

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:56 pm

AnthonyZarou wrote:When I put my limiter on and put the gain up, the track sounds very bad.
That is, to me anyway, a sure fire sign that there are tracks that are running too loud, are too heavily compressed, or that transients are kicking too hard or/and that any EQing is not removing harsh and unnecessary frequencies.
Make some music!

TauTau

Post by TauTau » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:15 pm

it just sucks. I have studio grade monitoring speakers, and when I export to WAV, and replay the file, it only has a 20th of the volume I hear when I playback from Live. This never happened to me with reaper. The Software just is crap.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:11 am

TauTau wrote:it just sucks. I have studio grade monitoring speakers, and when I export to WAV, and replay the file, it only has a 20th of the volume I hear when I playback from Live. This never happened to me with reaper. The Software just is crap.
Let us know when you want some assistance in order to make it sound great.
Make some music!

TauTau

Post by TauTau » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:57 am

sorry... take my deepest apologies, I shouldn't post before analyzing all options... somehow Windows switched my default out to my gaming headset, that lies beneath me, and obviously is rather silent. Switching back to my speakers solved it (when mixing I use my Motu828, so I didn't notice ;))

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:33 am

TauTau wrote:sorry... take my deepest apologies, I shouldn't post before analyzing all options... somehow Windows switched my default out to my gaming headset, that lies beneath me, and obviously is rather silent. Switching back to my speakers solved it (when mixing I use my Motu828, so I didn't notice ;))
Lol, I guess that spurred your rants about how crap Ableton is in several threads... Easy to get frustrated when a problem escapes us but perhaps before firing off on all cylinders about how experienced you are with computers (being in "IT") and how lousy the software itself is, you spend some actual time troubleshooting your situation.

A good tradesman never blames his tools first.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:40 pm

TauTau wrote:sorry... take my deepest apologies, I shouldn't post before analyzing all options... somehow Windows switched my default out to my gaming headset, that lies beneath me, and obviously is rather silent. Switching back to my speakers solved it (when mixing I use my Motu828, so I didn't notice ;))
Let's just agree that it really sucks when your gear goes down or behaves in a way that is hard to accept as logical.

One of the first really useful steps in such a situation is to question our own assumptions. Often we assume wrongly.
Make some music!

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:50 pm

it seems getting it competitively loud ain't always good. I sent one of my tracks to a music library company for use in a TV series. They said it's good to go but then told me it was "too loud, please turn it down"

bah!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Broadcast has very strict requirements for loudness, much more so than we’re used to in the audio world.

Reverus

Post by Reverus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:19 am

kanuck wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:41 pm
the question is, why do you want it to be competitively loud?
I think you are missing his point, he is saying that his tracks are not producing the volume that similar tracks produce in iTunes... I am having the same issue, for example... I export a track and play it in my car and I can turn it to full blast before it is as aloud as any other disc i put in would be at half that volume...

This is a technical issue, not a stylistic issue.. try to be helpful considering tons of noobs like me are searching right now with this same problem ;D

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:13 am

Reverus wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:19 am
kanuck wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:41 pm
the question is, why do you want it to be competitively loud?
I think you are missing his point, he is saying that his tracks are not producing the volume that similar tracks produce in iTunes... I am having the same issue, for example... I export a track and play it in my car and I can turn it to full blast before it is as aloud as any other disc i put in would be at half that volume...

This is a technical issue, not a stylistic issue.. try to be helpful considering tons of noobs like me are searching right now with this same problem ;D
It is a complex issue as the whole mixing process is involved but the quickest way is using a limiter at the final stage of the master track to maximize your output.

Usually though if you take a crappy mix though and maximize it, it can get loud but still sound unprofessional. This is where mixing/mastering come into play.