why is my final track volume so low??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ojaymtl

why is my final track volume so low??

Post by ojaymtl » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:47 pm

hey just trying to export some tracks to listen how they compare to songs in my itunes library. I noticing that the volume on my final output is always lower than my other songs in my itunes library..I try not to peak my master volume and i understand that mastering is an art ..but even with compression and other effects, the results are always disappointing : ( . when i first started using garageband, final songs would always be in proportion (volume) with other songs. I can't figure out this one out. HELP{!

udp

Re: why is my final track volume so low??

Post by udp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:56 pm

Are you normalizing upon export? When building the song, what does your master volume look like while playing? Can't really help you further without a little more info...
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:07 pm

ojaymtl wrote:hey just trying to export some tracks to listen how they compare to songs in my itunes library. I noticing that the volume on my final output is always lower than my other songs in my itunes library..I try not to peak my master volume and i understand that mastering is an art..but even with compression and other effects, the results are always disappointing : ( . when i first started using garageband, final songs would always be in proportion (volume) with other songs. I can't figure out this one out. HELP{!
Doesn't sound like you really understand that.

ojaymtl

Post by ojaymtl » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:15 pm

i try to keep my master volume right just before peaking level. like at the line before bars turn red. i thought normalizing was a bad thing to do when exporting.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:41 pm

the question is, why do you want it to be competitively loud?

if you're doing dance music, I have no knowledge/experience in that field so i won't comment.

some of my most favorite tracks in my itunes library are the quietest. namely choral and orchestral music. there's is pretty much no lmiting on those tracks.. there's even a bit of clipping on the really loud bits.

i honestly love how the volume adds to the dynamics.. you have the intensity and also the volume alongside it to make it go right in your face... so the question is, is your volume knob not enough? do you really have the squeeze the track to bits so it sounds as loud as a britney spears track?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:56 pm

ojaymtl wrote:i try to keep my master volume right just before peaking level. like at the line before bars turn red. i thought normalizing was a bad thing to do when exporting.
If it's the last thing you're doing while rendering your final song, it's not that bad at all. Your tracks will probably still be quieter than most releases that have been mastered though.

atopthepyre

Post by atopthepyre » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:35 am

No one really answered the question, but I'd sure love to know the answer. :D

I'm having the same problem; I keep my master track volume just before Peak/Distortion, and when I export the Audio it ends up about 3/5 the volume of any other song in my itunes library.

If anyone could tell me how to gain a good finalized track volume after exporting that'd be awesome.

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:52 am

kanuck wrote:the question is, why do you want it to be competitively loud?

some of my most favorite tracks in my itunes library are the quietest. namely choral and orchestral music. there's is pretty much no lmiting on those tracks.. there's even a bit of clipping on the really loud bits.

i honestly love how the volume adds to the dynamics.. you have the intensity and also the volume alongside it to make it go right in your face... so the question is, is your volume knob not enough? do you really have the squeeze the track to bits so it sounds as loud as a britney spears track?
No offense, but you sound like a pussy.

Most of the kids these days like music that makes them excited. "Stupid kids and their loud music... they need to get off of my lawn!"

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:53 am

atopthepyre wrote:No one really answered the question, but I'd sure love to know the answer. :D

I'm having the same problem; I keep my master track volume just before Peak/Distortion, and when I export the Audio it ends up about 3/5 the volume of any other song in my itunes library.

If anyone could tell me how to gain a good finalized track volume after exporting that'd be awesome.
Are you using a limiter on all tracks plus the master?

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:09 am

atopthepyre wrote:No one really answered the question, but I'd sure love to know the answer. :D

Do what you always do, try to make it sound right.

Then, drop in the limiter on the master chanel. Ceiling to 0 db. Now tur up the gain-knob, until you see the orange bar appear during peaks. You will notice that the overall volume gets louder, while the track still doesn't peak.
You can squash your track to a very high volume, but you will notice tht it loses dynamics and sound quality. You have to find your compromise.

This is the brute way of doing it.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 am

Don't set your ceiling to 0dB, set it to -0.2 or -0.3 dB.

kclarkmusic

Post by kclarkmusic » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:25 am

I've been experiencing this similar issue when performing live. It seems that, with all levels near zero, and with my audio interface at maximum output, I usually have to crank the trim on the DJ Mixer to get anywhere near the output of the CDJs.

It is also a bit strange when I import other peoples mastered tracks, into Live, and Live's meters read them at well above zero (+4 or 5 usually)

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:28 am

Tarekith wrote:Don't set your ceiling to 0dB, set it to -0.2 or -0.3 dB.
And consider using other limiters than Live's own. For example Fabfilter's Pro-L. It has an oversampling feature which prevents the file from clipping.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:11 am

Yes, the question is why do you want your track to be loud and competitive? don't you prefer to have a very quiet track, so when the kids shuffles their ipod and select your track randomly, they can't hear shit and next straight away :mrgreen:

Seriously : get the TT dynamic range meter first, and load a track similars to what you want to produce. Notice how much dynamic range they usualy have.

Then on your mastering, fist try to compress a bit to reduce some peaks, but make sure you still have transients so it does not sounds flat and dull. you can also put some saturation as well. Next you can EQ if you want. While doing all of this, always check the Dynamic range meter and try to be close to the Dynamic range of your example, but still leave some dB for later (leave +5db or more so you still got room to play with the limiter).

After that, place a limiter, and simply lower the treshold until the dynamic range meter is about the same as your example.

Keep in mind that you will only get a good result and a similar volume level only if you mix what correct at the beginning. For example, if your Dynamic range is already lower than your target, and your volume is not louder , that mean your mix itself is flat and dull. Try to increase the dynamic in the mix.
It's all about balance.

Then you will get women and $

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:05 pm

Often most proffesional tracks are mastered in expensive mastering studio, s or special mastering software and also are mastered by producers who know how to master a track. Don, t expect that a 500 euro program with a limiter in the master-channel can achieve the same results as proffesional mastered tracks. It takes of years of experience to master the matering proces. If you learn this it, s no problem to make a "loud" track in ableton.