Custom Ableton system preferences for MacBook Pro?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Wilco75

Custom Ableton system preferences for MacBook Pro?

Post by Wilco75 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:20 pm

Hello, i'm looking for a way to setup different profile snapshots for when i use different software applications on my MBP. For instance when I use Ableton Live to create music, i want all F-key functions turned off as they are mapped to other functions within the application. When i am not using Ableton, i don't want to have to hold the Fn key to change volume and or brightness. If it were just this then it would, of course, be just as easy for me to make the change in system preferences every time as it would be to switch profiles, but that's just one example.

I've briefly tested AirportLocation but it doesn't seem to control such specific paramaters (or I haven't understood how it works yet) plus i don't need the "location" feature.

I wonder if an applescript might work and if anyone out there is already using one. I don't have a clue how to create and use these scripts myself. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dragonbreath

Re: Custom Ableton system preferences for MacBook Pro?

Post by Dragonbreath » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:34 pm

You could try using different user accounts...

Wilco75

Post by Wilco75 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Of course, but again, i want it to be as easy as possible to switch between the two preference sets without having to switch user accounts. I've only got the one account, so I don't know, maybe it's easier than I think, but if i need to log out and in again, that's a pain. Thanks for the speedy reply though.

arafel

Post by arafel » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:03 pm

Just enable "Fast User Switching".

You can set it so passwords are not required.
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:00 pm

Wilco75 wrote:Hello, i'm looking for a way to setup different profile snapshots for when i use different software applications on my MBP. For instance when I use Ableton Live to create music, i want all F-key functions turned off as they are mapped to other functions within the application. When i am not using Ableton, i don't want to have to hold the Fn key to change volume and or brightness. If it were just this then it would, of course, be just as easy for me to make the change in system preferences every time as it would be to switch profiles, but that's just one example.

I've briefly tested AirportLocation but it doesn't seem to control such specific paramaters (or I haven't understood how it works yet) plus i don't need the "location" feature.

I wonder if an applescript might work and if anyone out there is already using one. I don't have a clue how to create and use these scripts myself. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
If you need only specific keys this one works for me (I keep the brightness and volume controls and the rest flipped)
http://kevingessner.com/software/functionflip/