record effects to mono track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
n8tron

record effects to mono track

Post by n8tron » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:43 pm

I have some effects I want to print to a vocal track. The vocal track is mono, but whenever I try and route it to a new track it always records the new track as stereo. Is there a way to get it to record to a mono track?

Forge.

Re: record effects to mono track

Post by Forge. » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:18 am

n8tron wrote:I have some effects I want to print to a vocal track. The vocal track is mono, but whenever I try and route it to a new track it always records the new track as stereo. Is there a way to get it to record to a mono track?
Live treats everything as stereo by default, but if you're jus wanting to print FX then track routing is not the way I'd do it. If you render the track then there is an option "convert to mono" in the render dialog. The only benefit to this is saving disk space, which is why I assume you want to do this. Because apart from that, once you put it on a track it's treated as stereo again. You can use a utility plugin to make sure everything on it really is mono before rendering - but this depends on the fx you are using - unless you are using an effect that makes it stereo then it should still be fine for using 'convert to mono' so you shouldn't need to bother

But aside from the mono issue, the easiest way to print FX is to freeze the track, then create a new audio track and option + drag the frozen files to the new track - this will make new audio clips and you can still keep the old track in case you want to change anything.

n8tron

Post by n8tron » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:38 am

huh, interesting.

I'm wanting to print vocal tuning from melodyne. Sometimes after tuning I may adjust timing, or cut in old takes here or there, and if melodyne is still on as a plugin its not always possible as it wants to playback the audio that was original "transferred" into it.

I used convert to mono and rendered the track, then pulled it back in to a new track and it showed up as mono, so this should work for me.

Thanks so much for the info! I appreciate it.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:48 am

I usually just bounce it out of melodyne and dont really care if its in stereo in Live as that what Live treats mono as anyway - so thats what it went into melodyne as.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:51 am

abletontrainer.com wrote:But aside from the mono issue, the easiest way to print FX is to freeze the track, then create a new audio track and option + drag the frozen files to the new track - this will make new audio clips and you can still keep the old track in case you want to change anything.
I knew there would be a day when it was worth having a walking 'offical' encylopedia on ableton around here - something I never knew and never even thought of trying :)

Ive allways tried to have a computer thats fast enough to never need to freeze and I guess being an old-school bouncer rather than new-fangled freezer - finally a use for freezing! ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:56 am

Khazul wrote:
abletontrainer.com wrote:But aside from the mono issue, the easiest way to print FX is to freeze the track, then create a new audio track and option + drag the frozen files to the new track - this will make new audio clips and you can still keep the old track in case you want to change anything.
I knew there would be a day when it was worth having a walking 'offical' encylopedia on ableton around here - something I never knew and never even thought of trying :)

Ive allways tried to have a computer thats fast enough to never need to freeze and I guess being an old-school bouncer rather than new-fangled freezer - finally a use for freezing! ;)
yeah I love that little trick - it's one you wouldn't immediately think to try, but I use it all the time

sadly there used to be a Live Wiki - but it was user run and it was at the height of the spam wars when people were getting really good at spamming but there weren't many tools for stopping it for free, layman run wiki type sites, so it was a full time job getting rid of it and eventually they gave up on it. Maybe now it would work better as even the most basic wordpress type sites seem to have some kind of protection - but I think the feeling was also that it was maybe something Ableton should do.