Field Recording

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
penepasta

Field Recording

Post by penepasta » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:45 am

I'm thinking of going on a wonderful sample-catching filled adventure with a friend. Assuming I can borrow a few microphones, what types would you recommend? I'm thinking SM57 + sturdy condenser but I'm having a hard time remembering the other kind of mic that is commonly used. Also if you can recommend a good, portable recording device. Preferably sans onboard mic.

razorblade

Re: Field Recording

Post by razorblade » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:25 am

what type of field recording?

Most of the guys I know are just using portable digitals like the Zoom and Tascams...

I grabbed a cheap ass little Zoom H1- build quality is crap,and it will drain out your battery if you don't remove it when you are done, but the recordings sounds great, and I can stick it in my pocket and carry it around easily. It was only 80 bucks.

In the past, I would typically use a matched pair of AKG 452s or an ME66 shotgun into a Nagra or a laptop and interface.
No...I am 3phase!

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:22 am

penepasta wrote:.. I'm having a hard time remembering the other kind of mic that is commonly used.
you might be thinking of the Rode NTG-1 - that's a pretty standard decent low end field recording mic with dead cat wind shield etc

but some of the on board mics these days are surprisingly decent...

illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:48 pm

You can get surprisingly good results with your iphone. The mic is good and you always have it. No stereo unless you get a blue mikey or something. You can make the mono files stereo later with some creative processing. (Freq Shifter, modulated filters, etc...)

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:09 pm

^ agree with this 100% - I was surprised. The built in recorder app is useless though.

unworthy vessel

Post by unworthy vessel » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:03 am

Szuumm wrote:^ agree with this 100% - I was surprised. The built in recorder app is useless though.
So what do you use to record using the iPhone then?

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:46 am

I use the free Blue FiRe app.

spektralisk

Post by spektralisk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:30 am

I just bought this http://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_h2.htm

I am waiting for arrival. I know that build quality is not so good but it has 4 mics so you can record two stereo layers (front and back). I will test it this week and maybe post some short review here. Cheers.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:49 am

razorblade wrote:and it will drain out your battery if you don't remove it when you are done
Yeah, I thought that too until I heard some other user experiences. You need to get it fixed by Zoom.
Been going a few weeks with the same battery now. The drainage is a factory error and is covered by your warranty.

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:19 pm

just a notebook and a field recording mic like audiotechnica atr25 connected to an internal audio card. any card can record 24bit, also realtek chinese chip...
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:42 pm

bought a Zoom H1 recently, very pleased with the sound quality, size & weight. Pretty awesome little recording unit - build quality isnt the best but if you take care of it it should last a while :)

reeloy

Post by reeloy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:48 pm

....field recordings on a travel....?

A Tascam and some okm mics....those little knobs looking like headphones....

The tascam can even power these smallest mic set in the world, put in your ears and really pick the stereofield you're standing in, without an extra pre amp you usually need for them...

You can't go for smaller and better on the road...
And forget about the sm57 plan...thats useless in this case...only a good choice in front of an amp....