HOW TO MAKE A TRACK SOUND FULL

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
emotionz22

HOW TO MAKE A TRACK SOUND FULL

Post by emotionz22 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:41 am

Hey yall i was just wondering if you could share some advice or tips on how to make your track sound fuller ...i feel like thats what im missing ......im a beginner by the way soo its not mixed Because honestly i don't know how to YET

here is some of my work if u want to check it out

http://thestudioexposed.com/profile/Emotionz

kanuck

Re: HOW TO MAKE A TRACK SOUND FULL

Post by kanuck » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:32 am

you don't need lots of instruments. just think about which part of the sound spectrum you're missing. say you feel there should be more low mids.. use a synth that focuses on those frequencies. From there it's just good eqing and mixing.

emotionz22

Post by emotionz22 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:43 am

kanuck wrote:you don't need lots of instruments. just think about which part of the sound spectrum you're missing. say you feel there should be more low mids.. use a synth that focuses on those frequencies. From there it's just good eqing and mixing.

Ok thank you...when i listen to songs it sounds like they have alot of stuff going on guess the eQin and mixing tricks your ears ...i dont nothing about Eqin YET im still trying to FINISH a track ...but thats prob why i can't finish because i feel like its always empty rather than trying to EQ stuff

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:56 am

http://tarekith.com/tutorials-and-reviews/

(oh, and the links in my sig! ;) )

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:05 am

emotionz22 wrote:

Ok thank you...when i listen to songs it sounds like they have alot of stuff going on guess the eQin and mixing tricks your ears ...i dont nothing about Eqin YET im still trying to FINISH a track ...but thats prob why i can't finish because i feel like its always empty rather than trying to EQ stuff
I didn't mean you're NOT ALLOWED to have 200 tracks. I meant don't feel that adding more tracks necessarily makes the sound fuller. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For specific advice i can't hellp you. Sorry, i don't produce EDM

emotionz22

Post by emotionz22 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:22 am

kanuck wrote:
emotionz22 wrote:

I didn't mean you're NOT ALLOWED to have 200 tracks. I meant don't feel that adding more tracks necessarily makes the sound fuller. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For specific advice i can't hellp you. Sorry, i don't produce EDM

K THANKS 4 THE ADVICE ...IDK WHAT EDM MEANS BUT I APPRECIATE UR INPUT

emotionz22

Post by emotionz22 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:23 am

abletontrainer.com wrote:http://tarekith.com/tutorials-and-reviews/

(oh, and the links in my sig! ;) )

YOUR THE BEST THANK YOU VERY MUCH I WILL TAKE A LOOK AT THIS

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:08 am

TRY AND FILL UP ALL THE FREQUENCY RANGES TO MAKE A FULL SOUNDING TRACK ALSO IT TAKES A LOT OF PRACTICE SO DONT GET DISCOURAGED JUST DONT GIVE UP JUST LIKE YOU WOULDNT ON A PUPPY WITH 3 LEGS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:18 am

timothyallan wrote:JUST DONT GIVE UP JUST LIKE YOU WOULDNT ON A PUPPY WITH 3 LEGS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!
be like the Honey Badger, it don't give a shit, it just writes whatever the fuck it wants.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

very cool composition, sounds like you have tons of material and you can write but it lacks a distinct direction. I think your first step would be to take a CRITICAL listen at your instruments. pitch bends on pianos don't work, the strings are too artificial. you should also work on adding swing to your playing. I think you're on the verge of some great stuff you just need to sharpen some skills. no doubt you have talent and musical chops, keep at it.

a problem with this MUSIC forum is that posts in the link your music forum are totally neglected. then some people post their music here and it gets reviewed while many in the Music forum don't. tell you what, post your tune in the Link Your Music forum and I'll tell you what I hear.

I don't think it's Mastering that's off, the sound is pretty quality, it's just getting that sonic landscape set up.

keep on keeping on.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:30 am

timothyallan wrote:TRY AND FILL UP ALL THE FREQUENCY RANGES TO MAKE A FULL SOUNDING TRACK!!!!!!
why don't you just give him your special secret white noise sample then if you're going to give all your secrets away!

In fact I don't add sounds, I just start with white noise and gradually take frequencies out of it... just like Michelangelo said, there is already an Angel in the marble, I just have to free it!

emotionz22

Post by emotionz22 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:38 am

Tone Deft wrote:
timothyallan wrote:JUST DONT GIVE UP JUST LIKE YOU WOULDNT ON A PUPPY WITH 3 LEGS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!
be like the Honey Badger, it don't give a shit, it just writes whatever the fuck it wants.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

very cool composition, sounds like you have tons of material and you can write but it lacks a distinct direction. I think your first step would be to take a CRITICAL listen at your instruments. pitch bends on pianos don't work, the strings are too artificial. you should also work on adding swing to your playing. I think you're on the verge of some great stuff you just need to sharpen some skills. no doubt you have talent and musical chops, keep at it.

a problem with this MUSIC forum is that posts in the link your music forum are totally neglected. then some people post their music here and it gets reviewed while many in the Music forum don't. tell you what, post your tune in the Link Your Music forum and I'll tell you what I hear.

I don't think it's Mastering that's off, the sound is pretty quality, it's just getting that sonic landscape set up.

keep on keeping on.

[color=#000000]Aww thank you for the constructive criticism it is greatly appreciated just the fact that you listened to my stuff...and yes those tracks are kind of old but im still working on them...as far as piano being bended pitch wise i didn't bend nothing unless ur talking about the finger roll technique on the piano...Now u say the sound is pretty quality but the instruments are not real sounding so im a lil confused lol cuz wouldn't that effect the sound...What vst for real sounding strings would you recommend...and its funny u say this about the instruments cuz i thought i had top of the line VST plug ins...and pardon me for not knowing what a sonic landscape is and swing please do educate me...Ive heard of swing but i never really knew what it mean't[/color]

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:39 am

abletontrainer.com wrote:
timothyallan wrote:TRY AND FILL UP ALL THE FREQUENCY RANGES TO MAKE A FULL SOUNDING TRACK!!!!!!
why don't you just give him your special secret white noise sample then if you're going to give all your secrets away!

In fact I don't add sounds, I just start with white noise and gradually take frequencies out of it... just like Michelangelo said, there is already an Angel in the marble, I just have to free it!
:lol: Yeah, I love that approach! I make most of my tracks from a single white noise sample.

emotionz22

Post by emotionz22 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:42 am

timothyallan wrote:TRY AND FILL UP ALL THE FREQUENCY RANGES TO MAKE A FULL SOUNDING TRACK ALSO IT TAKES A LOT OF PRACTICE SO DONT GET DISCOURAGED JUST DONT GIVE UP JUST LIKE YOU WOULDNT ON A PUPPY WITH 3 LEGS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!
THANKS FOR THE TIP..TRUST ME QUITTING ISN'T A OPTION FOR ME

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:55 am

The biggest problem with those I heard is the claps - too loud and killing the rest pushing it right into the backgroung and perhaps making it seem 'thin'. Assuming thats your piano work, then pretty good. Yes the strings sound cheesy and fake, but thats pretty normal for the genre :)

Rhythmically it sounds a bit straight too for the genre. Tempos that low need a really strong groove I feel or the result can be really lifeless.

But I dont think that 'thin' is your real problem, just a symptom.

As suggested - might want to keep the pitch bends for soft moogy style leads rather than pianos, but each to their own - but who knows - whats wierd one day can be the mainstream trend the next... :)

Your piano work is very definately your strength. Instrumental bits around that actually seem ok too. Rhythm programming is your weak point. Perhaps use commercial loops until you get better at rhythm programming, or even just as inspiration to help you improve your rhythm programming - whatever works.

For sound engineering - really - dont worry about it much for now beyond levelling and panning - a good well balanced composition with well chosen sounds doesnt need that much engineering at a basic level for this kind of music. When your aiming for loud commercial production quality, then sure, but ask yourself what you are trying to achive at this point in time? Be a musician/composer or be a producer/engineer?

A simple tip for leveling stuff - start with them all at zero. Bring up the most important element first, then the next most important. As you bring each up until it sounds right - back it off again a tiny bit as we nearly allways tend to bring stuff up too loud. Same with reverb - crank it until it sounds right, then back it off again a tiny bit. In fact the rule pretty much applies to any engineering choice - we nearly allways overdo things enough to gets our brain's focus while changing it, so not a bad thing to just back off a tiny bit after increasing a level.

@tone - thats because the link you music forum is mostly full of dub step or minimal bleepy shit or otherwise very badly done whatever latest fad is (some notable exceptions of course...) ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

heasymo

Post by heasymo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:20 pm

Much of this depends on the quality of your home theater system itself.. Buy the best home theater system you can afford and it should be fine.
Best Home Theater Systems Review: Ratings and reviews about the best home theater systems YOUR money can buy! Klipsch HD 500 or Mirage Nanosat 5.1, is it worth the money?