Anyone using Adam A7 monitors with a subwoofer?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

Anyone using Adam A7 monitors with a subwoofer?

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Think it's pretty self-explanatory. I've been using my A7's for a little under a year now, and really enjoy them. Amazing clarity. They definitely do not lie. However, I do find myself resorting to other speakers and/or headphones to try and monitor the lower end.

Thinking it's time I looked for a sub to complement these monitors. I'd been looking at Adam's own Sub8, as it seems to be aimed towards the A7's. Any experience with this? Any experience with the A7's and any other sub?

Talk to me. Pros/cons/anything else you may want to share.

cubehog

Re: Anyone using Adam A7 monitors with a subwoofer?

Post by cubehog » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:12 am

Well. I have A5 with Sub7. And with the addition of the "down there" department it is very good. It needed some time to adjust the level of the satellites to the subwoofer. So that´s tricky.
Take care of where you want to place this device. They have a variable crossover frequency so you need to try to experiment.
But I´m very satisfied and to my ears the clarity in frequency response is more accurate but it is still hard to get a feel for the sub frequencies in the stereo field. 40-60hz. But it´s probably not possible
and I don´t need that because I pan to the middle. But that´s one little drawback with this combo and subwoofer+satellites in general.

Otherwise this combination above worked for me very well. Mixes translate better in club situations and I could learn from the best in drum´n´bass how to deal
with subbasses because the Adam stuff seems to be pretty accurate. I know, not A7 and Sub8 but it is the quasi little brother set and the volume dial is just
right below a quarter on the sub and a little above a quarter for the A5.

madlab

Post by madlab » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:50 am

Low frequencies are much less directional than high freq so it's very hard to pinpoint the position in the stereo field. This is the case with any system.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:16 pm

Cool. Thanks for your review on the A5/sub7 combo. Yeah, it's pretty common to have to adjust your monitoring system when you change or add an element. I'm prepared mentally for that.

Might look into the Sub7 too, though I'm not sure if it would make such a big difference with the A7's.
madlab wrote:Low frequencies are much less directional than high freq so it's very hard to pinpoint the position in the stereo field. This is the case with any system.
Truth.

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:24 pm

i've been with A7's with no sub's for almost 5yrs (wow!). I love the speakers as well and i'm not sure switching or adding a sub to them is the best advice as it will probably take you another year to learn how your songs are suppose to sound with a sub. My room isn't professionally treated (though i did a lot if DIY work on the acoustics) and I find my 10 x 14 room puts my bass about 2ft behind me so when i'm working on levels, EQ, etc i tend to be thankful for a rolling chair :)