excuse my question but..

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
RoCi
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:38 am
Location: H-TOWN, Texas

Re: excuse my question but..

Post by RoCi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:20 am

McQ714 wrote:same goes for RME interfaces.
sorry for my noobness please but, what does that mean i just wanna know if im able to connect the optical connectors on the fireface to the mac pro. i just want a yes or no. AND if i did what would happen? sorry again guys..im kinda new to this upper class equipment.

McQ714
Posts: 1851
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: excuse my question but..

Post by McQ714 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:31 am

you can connect them... your main connection to the computer is the firewire. this allows you to use the fireface 400 with Live or other audio software. and there is no benefit that i can think of with connecting the optical out on the fireface to the optical in of the mac pro because you aren't going to use onboard sound for recording purposes. however, there is a small benefit of connecting the optical out of the mac pro to the optical in of the fireface in that you don't need to use the fireface as your default audio device. you can use the onboard sound of the mac pro as the default device for the OS and web browsing. i do this on windows with my RME interface so that i don't have to share the interface with the OS but i can still hear all audio from online browsing through my headphones and monitors as well as record them in Live if i want to rip a sample from something that's streaming like online radio or youtube videos. understand??? i don't think the mac pro's optical ports are 8-channel as the ports on the fireface are capable of so it would be more beneficial to use spdif coaxial ports, which are only 2-channel (left and right) to connect to the fireface if you have them on the mac pro.

RoCi
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:38 am
Location: H-TOWN, Texas

Re: excuse my question but..

Post by RoCi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:23 am

McQ714 wrote:you can connect them... your main connection to the computer is the firewire. this allows you to use the fireface 400 with Live or other audio software. and there is no benefit that i can think of with connecting the optical out on the fireface to the optical in of the mac pro because you aren't going to use onboard sound for recording purposes. however, there is a small benefit of connecting the optical out of the mac pro to the optical in of the fireface in that you don't need to use the fireface as your default audio device. you can use the onboard sound of the mac pro as the default device for the OS and web browsing. i do this on windows with my RME interface so that i don't have to share the interface with the OS but i can still hear all audio from online browsing through my headphones and monitors as well as record them in Live if i want to rip a sample from something that's streaming like online radio or youtube videos. understand??? i don't think the mac pro's optical ports are 8-channel as the ports on the fireface are capable of so it would be more beneficial to use spdif coaxial ports, which are only 2-channel (left and right) to connect to the fireface if you have them on the mac pro.
connecting spdif to the mac, will it make my production sound quality better? or is the D/A conversion happening from the firewire to the analog outs?

McQ714
Posts: 1851
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: excuse my question but..

Post by McQ714 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:22 am

all the d/a and a/d is happening inside your ff400. you do not need to connect anything from the mac other than the firewire cable. you don't need to connect the spdif or optical to the ff400. don't overthink this. it's simple. just plug the firewire in and away you go.

rosti
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:23 pm
Location: HELLsinki

Re: excuse my question but..

Post by rosti » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:32 am

RoCi wrote: connecting spdif to the mac, will it make my production sound quality better? or is the D/A conversion happening from the firewire to the analog outs?
Seriously. Don't buy gear if you don't know what it does. I mean.. You bought a 1000$ interface and don't even know what to do with it?

Rationalizer
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:14 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: excuse my question but..

Post by Rationalizer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:30 am

As said previously in this thread, ADAT is for connecting external gear to your fireface. Your fireface has support for 18 in / out channels. Of those you can connect 8 i/o via ADAT.

It's all in the manual. Have a look and see for yourself.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

RoCi
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:38 am
Location: H-TOWN, Texas

Re: excuse my question but..

Post by RoCi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:50 pm

ignore this post
Last edited by RoCi on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoCi
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:38 am
Location: H-TOWN, Texas

Re: excuse my question but..

Post by RoCi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:51 pm

rosti wrote:
RoCi wrote: connecting spdif to the mac, will it make my production sound quality better? or is the D/A conversion happening from the firewire to the analog outs?
Seriously. Don't buy gear if you don't know what it does. I mean.. You bought a 1000$ interface and don't even know what to do with it?
lol silly. i know what to do with it, its just ADAT i was confused about lol youre silly.

yeah i read the manual but just the things i needed to know. but somtimes manuals really dont give the answer you need. and i cant learn things by reading, thats just how people are sometimes. sorry though really..

teach me how to do something in person, first hand, and i bet ill "master" that shit with the quickness. :) thats the kind of learner i am.

Post Reply