Namm Video

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:48 pm

basetwo wrote:[shatner mode]
Ahhhhhh! I've.... got.... no..... SOUND!

Scotty, what's going on.... down there!?
[/shatner mode]
man do you also LOOk like the beardy comic book guy of the simpsons?? :lol:

forge

Post by forge » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:04 pm

Just to chime in - although I'm sure you've already read my sad insane drug addled alchoholic rantings round here lately

but I feel like I have to just chip in For you there Robert because I personally feel there's been some really unneccessary shit dumping around here lately

I at first objected to the COST OF the operator too, but then I properly tried it, and honestly, I've wasted a good lot of my hours fucking about with VST synths over the last couple of years, spend alot of money on them too, and even after all that cash spent, after giving it a proper go yours is easily one of the best. So fook em, they just dont geddit yet.

But I just want to remind you it was all about the money, becasue I am absolutely certain, without shadow of doubt that if you'd set the introductory price at $79 then going up to $150 later (ALA NI Komplete 2) you would have had nothing but praise and barely a criticism. I paid the money, but frankly I've paid more for less before and to be honest felt you all definitely deserve it - I have got so much out of your ideas since Live 1 that it would be improper of me to complain. The annoyance is just that I live in a capitalist world where I have to pay to live before buying things. But thats' life.

So if you can sift anything from this pile of crap, at least take my best wishes as you guys definitely deserve a place in the history books as one of the innovators.

d2

Post by d2 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:59 pm

hyerstay wrote:
d2 wrote:Operator is the "David Hasselhoff" of softsynths.

Some people will get what I am saying. :roll:
Do you mean that it is more popular in Germany than in the US?

Or do you mean that it drives a talking car?

jh
No, I mean it talks to it's watch a lot, say "whoa!" a lot, has a bad perm and makes bad remakes of songs like "Hooked on a Feeling". :roll:

BUT SERIOUSLY FOLKS: Operator is neither Ableton's "Arp Avatar" (another obscure reference to be sure) nor is it quite as FABULOUS as many people seem to uncritically proclaim (hence the Hasselhoff reference) ... nor is it anything that anyone should get too worked up about pro or con.

It's just not that good, and it's not that bad either. I expect it to be co-starring with scantilly-clad bimbos in some poorly-written lifeguard TV series soon!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:00 am

The whole Operator controversy is of Robert`s and this forum members making. I dont think he ever expected that his hints, jokes before NAMM would create such excitement and expectations. I didnt bother to read the threads ( for what ? gossips and speculations?) but did notice their sizes.
So the great hype was created, and what came out, another milestone in synths history ? Mini Moog, Wavestation, Avatar, Oberheim or DX7 ?, as the previous post said it is not bad but it is not great. My opinion is that it is not that much the high price, or the way it is bundled but the fact that it didnt impress that much, so the frustration took over and then "justification", explanations, it is like "arranged marriage" we didnt choose this spouse, our dear Ableparents did, she might be a good cook, graduate but ........
It is not that much different then love, you cannot fake it, you fall in love or you dont. I remember years ago someone from Arturia was demonstrating me their Mini, I didnt want to interrupt but it was waste of time. I didnt need that much of presentation, in seconds I was blown away, or playing PRS Custom, 1957 Strat or Mesa Boogie first time ever. If you are real musician you dont need hours or months.
I am sorry for Robert, he definitely worked hard and put a lot of heart, but working too much it is easy to loose the perspective. So the hype was created the expectation of something great (if it was great the high price would be absolutely justified for a softsynth of the decade) and it never happened.
I will definitely give it a good try, I hope to find that Operator is a good product and might be of use for my work Maybe Robert will be the "bob moog" of this century but his great product is yet to come, Operator wont book him the place in electronica hall of fame.
Thanks Robert for all efforts we all love you and wait for more from you.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:42 am

rikhyray wrote:The whole Operator controversy is of Robert`s and this forum members making. I dont think he ever expected that his hints, jokes before NAMM would create such excitement and expectations. I didnt bother to read the threads ( for what ? gossips and speculations?) but did notice their sizes.
So the great hype was created, and what came out, another milestone in synths history ? Mini Moog, Wavestation, Avatar, Oberheim or DX7 ?, as the previous post said it is not bad but it is not great. My opinion is that it is not that much the high price, or the way it is bundled but the fact that it didnt impress that much, so the frustration took over and then "justification", explanations, it is like "arranged marriage" we didnt choose this spouse, our dear Ableparents did, she might be a good cook, graduate but ........
It is not that much different then love, you cannot fake it, you fall in love or you dont. I remember years ago someone from Arturia was demonstrating me their Mini, I didnt want to interrupt but it was waste of time. I didnt need that much of presentation, in seconds I was blown away, or playing PRS Custom, 1957 Strat or Mesa Boogie first time ever. If you are real musician you dont need hours or months.
I am sorry for Robert, he definitely worked hard and put a lot of heart, but working too much it is easy to loose the perspective. So the hype was created the expectation of something great (if it was great the high price would be absolutely justified for a softsynth of the decade) and it never happened.
I will definitely give it a good try, I hope to find that Operator is a good product and might be of use for my work Maybe Robert will be the "bob moog" of this century but his great product is yet to come, Operator wont book him the place in electronica hall of fame.
Thanks Robert for all efforts we all love you and wait for more from you.
I totally understand what you're saying - but I really feel it necessary to point out that the timing of operator was really unfortunate - it just came at a time when we'd already been saturated by hundreds of soft synths. As soon as it became clear that computers were powerful enough to make it possible to use them in this way, where the synth could be PART OF the sequencer, rather than just driven by it via MIDI, then it went mad and every one desgned a soft synth, alot of good, alot ok, but at any length we were saturated by them.

I know what you mean about either it grabs you or it doesnt, but it's not like a les paul guitar or whatever because it's alot more complicated with synths, you cant just play a few riffs and get a feeling off it, you have to learn how to operate it intuitively first

hitherto

Post by hitherto » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:25 am

Hey....the Govenor of Ableton speaks better English than the Govenor of California :D

Love the video....love the synth....love Live....maybe when Live becomes better optimized for Mac I will start using it again, or maybe when I get a G6!!! I love Live but I cannot work efficiently enough so I have to use Logic!!!

Zakari Luk

Post by Zakari Luk » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:56 am

hitherto wrote:Hey....the Govenor of Ableton speaks better English than the Govenor of California :D
he speaks better english than the president of the states.

i hope thats not taken as a backhanded compliment. i thought the presentation was good, especially being spoken in a foriegn tongue. it was very informative, and i think if we saw the presentation before we even heard of operator, it would have gotten a much more positive initial response.

personally i rather see someone speaking that acts human rather than a robot.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:22 am

Damn you for making me install Real Player on my machine!!

Anyhow... nice video, Operator sounds pretty good, but for now I'm just adding it to my wish list of potential future purchases, right behind DrumCore, Zebra and maybe even Reaktor.

Congratulations to Robert and the rest of the team. You've done a fine job!
Image Image

tommy2000

Post by tommy2000 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:15 am

Nice presentation, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought it was 25 minutes of interesting info, and I think Robert echoed well what the saner minds were initially saying about simplicity and quality of sound being the foundation of this synth.

I'm still glad to see Operator, nice job, and keep up the good work!

Tom

Rx

Post by Rx » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:40 am

the presentation was very enlightening, as were the tutorials. it's one cool synth.

polyslax: you can use Real Alternative instead of Real Player.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

musick

Operator is Cool!

Post by musick » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:54 pm

Rx wrote:the presentation was very enlightening, as were the tutorials. it's one cool synth.
I liked the presentation. With the perfect integration in Live, simple operation, versatility and rich sound I think I'll start saving money for it :)