Prime Loops are amazings

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mickmike

Re: Prime Loops are amazings

Post by mickmike » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:48 pm

oh dear. each to they're own i guess.

q.musgrove

Post by q.musgrove » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:35 pm

cheating gets you ahead.

but on the topic of art now,
if someone can do "your style" as good as, or better than you, you're most likely doing it wrong and you might need more time in this old thing called "the wood shed".

If you're being put out of business by loop packs
1. SHAME ON YOU!
2. FUCKING SHAME ON YOU!
:arrow: wood shed's that way

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Give a set of loops to a pro producer at the top of his game and give the same loops to one of the people on this forum who go on about how things should be done within their unnaturally long posts and get them both to make a track using just the loops. The pros tune will be more original groovy and better than the snobs. And you know why? Because they re better at it than you!

Get over it!

The revolutionary and historical style of music called acid house gets it name from acid burning (another name for sampling)
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:55 pm

kev herb wrote:Give a set of loops to a pro producer at the top of his game and give the same loops to one of the people on this forum who go on about how things should be done within their unnaturally long posts and get them both to make a track using just the loops. The pros tune will be more original groovy and better than the snobs. And you know why? Because they re better at it than you!

Get over it!

The revolutionary and historical style of music called acid house gets it name from acid burning (another name for sampling)

oh my..what stupid statements..if you would know the first acid house tracks you would know that this is 100% pure syntheziser music with no sampler involved..

it was the copycats that with their expensiv samplers, mainly based in europe at that time, started to make there acid alike tracks as soon this trend got an comercial edge..and since theese times they try to sell sampling as integral part of the movement and use that as excuse to sample grooves basses and hooks from other records and sell the product as some own work...

And now some kids tell myth that acidhouse is all about sampling loops...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:27 pm

here in berlin you diot get the idea that its dead... not on the main menu maybe but still alive and kickin and regular truning up to move a dancefloor

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:35 pm

The Leveller wrote:The problem is that the tools to make music have become accessible to everyone and affordable to everyone who owns a computer.

How often do we see noob posts for those that have just purchased live to make music. Without any thought for their own musical ability they imagine they can suddenly become a musician.

They are wrong and 3 phases point, while he tends to be a bit too literal with the imagery, is that the end result is nonsense, not music but some generci production crap that slides out of peoples computers onto a generic poop chute distribution system such as beatport and gets eaten up by DJs who are pumping it out to an audience that don't give a damn.

It's a whole industry that has popped up from the availability of the tools. Computer Music and Future Music magazine thrive on the advertising set up by the companies who want the money from the wannabes. By this software, buy this plug-in, buy this sample/loop pack, buy these monitors, buy my mastering service, buy my training, I'll teach you everything you needs to knnow, do our course, buy this interface, buy this midi controller.

All leading to one falsehood: That by purchasing these things you will live your dream and become a great musician. You music will get signed by the labels and you'll be a massive star.

People are so desperate to do this they set up their own pretend record labels to get on to Beatport just to eb able to say on forums that their music is availabel on Beatport, they don't even care that no one buys it.

Now, this differs greatly from the honest hobbyist, buy whatever, have fun, but not labouiring under an illusion of industry promises that will never materialise.

It's horrible, it's real, most of the electronic music producers on the planet are part of it and loop packs are at the bottom of the pile.

The one thing that illustrates the futility of it all. Buy this ready made music and you can sound great quickly, at least in your own bedroom.

To me, their adverts scream one thing really loudly:

'You'll never be a musician, so here is your dream in a box'

It's consumerism and material greed at its worst. The epitomy of the bling society, the lazy, bloated, I want it now ringtone society in which we sadly live.
wow this is a great post.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:49 pm

Oh GaaawDDD!!!!!
If you use NoTHING BUT LooPs you are completely unoriginal, skill-less, soul-less and use-less. Stay in your bedroom w/ that bullshit! (Which is exactly what you will do, whether you like it or not.)

This is not even a proper argument. Everyone knows that it's the innovators and experimenters (eg: artists who are ORIGINAL) who change things and do big things.
If its too good to be true, it definitely IS!!!
If you have ZERO musical tal3nt and you find yourself finishing and releasing a song, then you probably shouldn't be! PERIOD.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:25 am

The Leveller wrote:
Donnie wrote:Whats the difference between that every kid buying a guitar thinking they are going to be a rockstar? Okay you can sound good quickly,
You've answered it right there. Any kid can buy a guitar but only those who can really play get the recognition they deserve. the rest? Well, somewhere along the line someone tells them the truth, you suck, you'll always suck, so keep it as a hobby and have fun.

But not with electronic music, oh no, it's great! One day buy a computer, the next day pop it up on an album on your own 'label' on Beatport and call yourself a pro.

There has to be some semblance of skill involved and musicianship, not loop based dross.

Someone mentioned one of those r&b clowns earlier with his garageband backing? More fool them. Who the fuck listens to that shit anyway? Kids. Bling kids in a ringtone world of bland shit. They listen to music on their iphone speakers, an iPhone clad in fake diamonds.

Its not what the industry is going through, its what society is going through thats scary.

The thousands and thousands of tracks being 'released' every day dilute the quality. Fortunately the cream always rises to the top but why, oh why, are we forced to swim through the rancid milk to find it?

People have lost all sense of self-critique. Your music is shit, get over it, move on, stop deluding yourself or keep it hobby and enjoy yourself, whatever, just stop living the lie and forcing it down everyones throats.

Here's my new bling pop, acid electro post dubstep r&b masterpiece yo made wiv da Prime Loops.

fuck off. :D
So your previous post was great, and gave me doubts about evrything, seriously ! I though for a moment electronic music was doomed and that I could never be able to do a track anymore.

Hopefully with this post I feel better now.

there is two points :
- even if everybody can do music, it's on the long run that you see if people are pro or no. sure you can release your track on beatport and stuff, but how many ? for how long? you can do that for like 3 years and still have nobody listening and buying your track. Or you can do that for 2 or 3 years and get signed, have "fans" on facebook, start to be known, etc... then you are a real pro. Nowadays it's just easier to reach an audience.

- Loops : I'm sorry but I liked Love in this club, by usher. He can be a douche or whatever, the song is super well produced, and the hook is catchy. Only few month later I knew it was only made by sample loops and I was surprised. Same thing with Robot rocks from daft punk : it's basicaly one long sample loop from an old band, and they just put a 909 kick and one vocoded voice track. Instant hit. Again with a-track barbara streseingh (whatever the spelling is). THis song doesn't revolutionise the music world, but it's just great, the way it's produced, there is a lot of energy.

- Now you can ask, who the fuck listen to that shit anyway ? Well the answer is obvious : people. millions of people. Some enjoy to be entertained by the music, some are moved or inspired, whatever please them. what's wrong with that?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:33 am

scutheotaku wrote:
3phase wrote:here in berlin you diot get the idea that its dead... not on the main menu maybe but still alive and kickin and regular truning up to move a dancefloor
Well, I think Acid House and Acid Techno have always been more popular in Germany (especially the latter). Either way, it's definitely not very popular compared to most other genres of House or Techno (though it very well may be different in Berlin).

I will say though - Acid House (at least the old stuff, which is what I used to listen to) is pretty much a perfect example of taking an original idea or technique, regurgitating it almost exactly, and beating it into the ground. With all the generic 303 patterns that are common, they might as well be using loops imo... (though there are SOME more creative acid artists)

acid quickly was drown in a mud and comercial hype about the fakes.. But in the ashes it still lived on in the european underground and reemerged within all the euro techno.. also the old acid house originals had a second springtime than and was played often inbetween all the other new stuff from europe what fitted good together somehow.. Was fun at the times any new record brought a new picture of what techno/house can be.. when i recall it wright i took up to 92 that people considred all the styles as variants of house music somhow..even the first drum&base that directly emerged out of the english tech/house scene...Ad only after that got into the press it was techno... what a stupid name..

however..copy cats and loopers was all around in this game from day one..each original track had an army of copys a few weeks later on the back.. some even trying to fake the cover a bit to get some accedently sales... And of cause they allways had miserable props for that.

I dont see why that should change ..they always was a majority compared to the original releases and that was never the argument for beeing cool anyway. So who goes down the road of imitating for prosperity should at least stay to that and dont try to claim that this is the todays warhol like art.. the modern artist, missunderstood, dont needs to source from the ground..he can go to the supermarket and expand what is there with the power of his mighty creativ mind...
So dj´s act now as popstars and the copycats as artists.. 8O wow.. i think that wasnt really the idea behind techno.. but however..its what you make out of it.
and so we are back to our famous endproduct.. but i wont post the picture again

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:55 am

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:
- Now you can ask, who the fuck listen to that shit anyway ? Well the answer is obvious : people. millions of people. Some enjoy to be entertained by the music, some are moved or inspired, whatever please them. what's wrong with that?

has daftpunk payed the band some royalitys? probably..so there is nothing bad about that..

but there is something bad about >20000 releases in the electronic domain each year that are totally crap.
And the idea that its ok to sound like somebody else aslong it dont clears the dancefloor is responsible for all the crap.

q.musgrove

Post by q.musgrove » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:38 am

^make music that can't be easily imitated. ?

Am I the only one that see's this shit here!? 8O

Like I said, if loop packs are destroying your career, you deserve it!

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:10 am

As in life taste in music is subjective. Many interviews with prog rock artist boldly tout their superior skills yet prog rock doesn't have much of an audience. On a guitar forum blues music is followed with high regard but not so much in the Ableton forum. In the 60's there was a big split between what teenagers thought was good music and the older generation thought was trash. Radio airplay is vastly different between Manhatten, NY and Tulsa, OK. Republicans and Democrats will swear on a bible that each others policies are riddled with flaws and failures. I follow the premise that music isn't exactly a contest with a score of 0 to 10. Either you like it or you don't. There isn't a monopoly on music that's correct or righteous.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:19 am

ramangill wrote:What about someone who uses these "loops", slices and chops them and re-creates something for his track...still a fake?
nope. that's creative. nothing 'fake' about that.

personally i haven't got a problem with people using 'unmodified' loops. what's more i don't have the right to have a problem with it - it's their choice and good luck to them!

i do have a bit of a problem with people using construction kits to assemble songs with little to none of their own musical input and claiming it as their own.
fair enough if you're starting out because it's probably a good way to learn about arrangement. i don't know..
also if you're just making music for shits and giggles, who cares how you do it? as long as it's fun!
but to present such a song as all your own work is just, well, lying.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:22 am

q.musgrove wrote: Am I the only one that see's this shit here!? 8O

nope

and

yep.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:20 am

q.musgrove wrote:
+1

The Leveller wrote:
The problem is that the tools to make music have become accessible to everyone and affordable to everyone who owns a computer.
Oh, the fucking horror.

macmurphy wrote:The Leveller + 3phase = sense
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: