Prime Loops are amazings

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LoopStationZebra

Re: Prime Loops are amazings

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:47 am

I gotta admit, I'm kinda diggin' that track. :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

rcpunker

Post by rcpunker » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:51 am

3phase you show you have it on what it can take to make music. You could hold up your head up in the sky and say I can do it. Even though you can go over and over on the sync up issues you are not happy with or without.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:27 pm

really interesting tune 3phase. all done on a nord modular you say? nice :D
Tone Deft wrote:
macmurphy wrote:do you have any current stuff we could hear, 3phase?

i'm genuinely interested.
I'd rather the forum not turn into a place where people attack each other's creative output. let's just not go there. regardless of what he might post it's the easiest thing in the world to tear someone's music down.
don't ever dare to think you know my motives, Tone. i'm not the sort of person to needlessly tear into people's work, i have never done so on this or any other forum :wink:

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:39 pm

2 slots of a nordmodular.. there are 4

just to say what the machine can do... lots of potential in theese old nords
Last edited by 3phase on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:43 pm

macmurphy - oooooh OK e-tough guy. lighten up Francis. :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrllCZw8jiM

you want to know what criticism is like? hang your ass out there with a bajillion posts to your handle. ;)

this thread needs a new title.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:33 pm

i'm not being an 'e-tough guy'. i didn't come across like that at all.

if you're looking for an argument look elsewhere :roll:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

I see your :roll: and raise you a :x .
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:47 pm

8)

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:57 am

Jus' popping back to the OP topic.

I do see that plenty of 'pros' use a loop or two in their productions quite often. For example a nice little hi hat riddim which they layer under other stuff as part of their overall beat. i don't think there is anything too wrong with that although I've never found much success myself in doing it, albeit i don't make dancey dancey music so prolly horses for courses.

But to make a whole track from loops is obviously lame even if you are an r&b star who played for Qadaafi for cash. It underlines the horrible truth that some artists will do whatever it takes to make a buck and thats where i draw the line. Personal moral boundary, others differ I'm sure and would seel their grans music as their own if they thought they could make cash out of it.

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:30 am

The Leveller wrote:Jus' popping back to the OP topic.

I do see that plenty of 'pros' use a loop or two in their productions quite often. For example a nice little hi hat riddim which they layer under other stuff as part of their overall beat. i don't think there is anything too wrong with that
+1
But to make a whole track from loops is obviously lame
+1

This thread is going on too long now :roll: :roll: :roll:
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:45 am

Just like with everything else, the real fun isnt just using loops but chopping them up and creating something new out of them, and in that case it doesnt really count whether its a field-recording of your old grandma hitting some snares at 10bpm or PrimeLoops.

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:58 am

Definitely going to get my old gran to hit some snares now.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:58 pm

mattadms wrote:Just like with everything else, the real fun isnt just using loops but chopping them up and creating something new out of them, and in that case it doesnt really count whether its a field-recording of your old grandma hitting some snares at 10bpm or PrimeLoops.

its not the same because generic loops or stolen parts from record hold an atmosphere that actually carrys a track regardless wether you swap 2 notes around or not..

thats an absolute illusion that you make something new without drastical changing the sound itself .. to make something new out of comercial loops you have to mangle them a lot.. otherwise the vibe of the original production will prevail and make the result sound like having heard before...

Opposite to your grannys snares..they are fresh and new..unheard material... not the same synth sound as in hundred of other records ..

So your granny makes fresher sounds than you.. isnt that odd?

That of cause dont applys to everybody..but in general..people that are so creative that they mangle loops to the extend that you have really something new dont need comercial loops.
They mostly do it with their grannys snares.. no rule without an exception.. but the use of such primeloop packs makes the user look like beeing on the fake side of things..wether thats just a cliche or fits only you and your audience can decide..in any case its no good cooking to use instant meals as source material.. And only rarly the edproduct is tasty in case a good cook was at work..
But how many bad cooks are there for one good one?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:37 pm

The Leveller wrote: But to make a whole track from loops is obviously lame
That goes without saying, and that has never been the premise for this/these discussion(s); also, I am absolutely certain that nobody around here makes whole tracks from these loop packs. The whole debate revolves around a single poster's fervent opposition to the very concept of loops.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:50 pm

sporkles wrote:
The Leveller wrote: But to make a whole track from loops is obviously lame
That goes without saying, and that has never been the premise for this/these discussion(s); also, I am absolutely certain that nobody around here makes whole tracks from these loop packs. The whole debate revolves around a single poster's fervent opposition to the very concept of loops.

a single user in this forum..ask the berlin electronic label guys what they think about the use of loop packs in tracks they get send each day...

so some people do mind