Prime Loops are amazings

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Lorenzo Blues

Re: Prime Loops are amazings

Post by Lorenzo Blues » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:07 pm

OK, so an old thread, but I have wrestled with this for years and here are my opinions. I was a guitarist, songwriter, vocalist in the 70s and played a lot of clubs and sold some records. Using Ableton Live and loops gives me access to a whole world of instruments and sounds that I wouldn't have access to otherwise. I put these loops together with my own loops that I've recorded myself and chop them, reverse them, stretch them and change the pitch of them to make chord progressions and leads, then record them, add live instruments and vocals and Joila! A publishable work. I also use Band in a Box to record progressions and render them to both midi and audio files that I import into Ableton. This gives me a creative pallet that I only dreamed of before.

The loops are royalty free and affordable. It makes possible music that would never be if I had to go into the studio with a bunch of these musicians and sound producers, much less being able to pay them, coordinate them, baby them and depend on them to show up ready to play.

Using these loops and samples with new interfaces such as the kinect box and various midi triggers opens up a whole new genre of music that can involve audiences and other performers, dancers, etc. in creating beautiful music in real time at the performance venue.

Yeah, man, this will never replace a master of his instrument who's playing live but it ain't bad. LB

TheDreamisReaL

Post by TheDreamisReaL » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:07 pm

Loops & Samples are on the majority of the top Billboard Charting records and some of the biggest songs to date all completely made up of loops, its all about being creative with it....Sometimes the sample or loop just fits and producer don't chop or recreate an completely different melody but its just another tool to have in your sound library.....No such thing as cheating lol

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:59 pm

who plugged the turntable back in?

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:38 am

scutheotaku wrote:
3phase wrote:
exactly..

its actually really bizar... they sell theese loops to spice up your "own" productions with individuality... 8O

http://primeloops.com/loops-samples/pro ... zarre~217/

thats a joke or? theese genre specivic construction kits are actually real genre killers. it´s sick and ugly when this comes together with the internet freedom for any dickhead to act up as a label and crowd the market.
While I wouldn't call using these types of construction kits creative, I still say that these are useful for:

A. People who want to do it to just have fun and mess around, the type that don't want to do all the technical stuff but want to play around with it.
B. DJs who are looking for filler tracks and loops.
Well said. I find it ironic to see this discussion on this forum. This software probably gained it's popularity from loopers. Do you think someone like Hans Zimmer would waste his time with an app like this. It has one of the crappiest editing areas for midi, no score view, ect. It screams for loops.

BTW loops are great for many areas of music pedagogy.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:42 am

TheDreamisReaL wrote:Loops & Samples are on the majority of the top Billboard Charting records and some of the biggest songs to date all completely made up of loops, its all about being creative with it....Sometimes the sample or loop just fits and producer don't chop or recreate an completely different melody but its just another tool to have in your sound library.....No such thing as cheating lol
Shut down the whole music industry now, so the elitists can quit their low income jobs and work in the music business instead of trying to win pissing contests in forums.

revoltcrew

Post by revoltcrew » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:31 am

wow. what an interesting late night read! i think about this all time, mainly cuz it's so in your face.
I remember seeing an ipod dj battle way back when and just laughed.
i was still just playing cello through a pedalboard [with absolutely no cello background] for weird avant theatre 'butoh'.,
Then moved onto playing in a jug band on homemade washtub.
Then moved into a warehouse space and discovered electronic music wherein i started practicing cello through i think like 10 earthquake subs and tops: blew my mind....

and somehow discovered Ableton. ran my cello through that.
and started making electronic music. never thought of loops.
never got into "loops". everyone around me was a turntablist, or used analog gear.
peeps weren't really using laptops in that space.

now, it's just crazy how prevalent "loop packs and the like" truly are.
reckon.... all the music i'm into, and the folks i work with here produce, soundDesign, experiment, compose.
i dunno, create one's own sound. i feel, this is music.

although, i am a late beat bloomer..i truly appreciate the 8) pioneers of sampling! 8)
100000greenCanaries are either violin0rGreen
http://sunfalls.org ||http://soundcloud.com/sunfalls || http://vimeo.com/sunfalls

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:53 pm

Amazing loops are Prime.

Cheaters are looping.

Tools for fools.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:56 pm

doghouse wrote:Amazing loops are Prime.

Cheaters are looping.

Tools for fools.