Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
dylandigits
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:16 am

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by dylandigits » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:55 am

icanseeclearlynowtherainhasgone wrote:what is live 9's minimum requirements likely to be?
My understanding from inside sources is that it will only run on Apple's OS X versions 10.4 and later, and must be used on your mom's computer.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23745
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:56 am

friend_kami wrote:
icanseeclearlynowtherainhasgone wrote:what is live 9's minimum requirements likely to be?
so, did i give you permission to use a photo of me as your signature?
i don't believe so.
unfortunately for you, that violates some laws.
Image
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, guitars, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

friend_kami
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by friend_kami » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:00 am

Tone Deft wrote:
friend_kami wrote:
icanseeclearlynowtherainhasgone wrote:what is live 9's minimum requirements likely to be?
so, did i give you permission to use a photo of me as your signature?
i don't believe so.
unfortunately for you, that violates some laws.
Image
indeed.

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:52 am

:lol: funny thread
Image

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by supamonsta » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:49 am

so whats your point again?
=> The more you make automations, the less you play live

I'm speaking of LIVE shows, stage, not recording, even if there is some kind of "live" playing when you're recording stuff the way you seem to do. but do you say that a guitar player in the studio, recording his solo part for example, is playing Live?

I understand someone saying I can't play live until Live has clip automation recording ability, like someone saying e.g. I can't play the guitar until my guitar will be able to auto-bend, auto-arpegiate and auto-solo...

I understand why this huge missing feature can be upsetting for some of us, but saying I can't play live without this is for me kind of a bit silly... I think then one should reconsider his working process for live stage, or stick with studio duties


cheers


EDIT: if you need really really complex automations everywhere in a track, and these automations to be absolutely all there and identical when playing live, why not just make it in arrangement, then rendering all stuff in audio clips that you'll play live in session view?

(I'm not saying this feature request is dumb, I think it's an interesting missing feature, but not that necessary for live shows IMO)

3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by 3dot... » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 am

friend_kami wrote:
supamonsta wrote:the more you make automations, the less you play live.

my 2 useless trolling cents
depends how you look at it, smartass.
dummy clips are automation but they are still being triggered live, and they might trigger stuff like a complete automated dropdown, or things like clyphx control, and thus only be used as a utility.

if i record an entire set live, then fix the automation and edit the takes then it was recorded live, then post edited. i still used live, live, much like how you can jam out an entire arrangement via the session view, and do stuff like try out different arrangements via capture and insert scene (which i use as arrangement snapshots for potential arrangements, amongst other things).

so whats your point again?

as for you h2only, you really do not comprehend the point at all, so i will respectfully stop talking with you about this, since we are clearly not going anywhere anyways.

for the record: heavy After Effects projects do not run well on a p4 with 1gb of ram. If you believe they do then you are either delusional, have an incredibly weak vocabulary, or you are simply just stupid. Considering that you are somewhat eloquent, i believe that stupid is the least probable option, so then you are either delusional or you have a weak vocabulary and you simply don't understand what the word heavy means, and in what context it can be used. This is also very unlikely, so that leaves the option of you being delusional. Now, since you are clearly under the impression that nobody needs 64bit processing other than me, this suddenly seems like a very likely candidate.

have a nice day.
64-bit is benefitial for heavy RAM plugin use...

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/201 ... -problems/
Image

Rabalder
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Norway

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by Rabalder » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:10 am

Playing live with electronic equipment as to playing live with "real instruments" are two very different things.
In my opinion, the only way to truly play 100% live is if all sounds included in the performance are generated and modified(by you) in real-time while you play.
In second place: live triggering of samples + live tweaking. (pluss what is mentioned above)
Third place: Automation. (pluss what is mentioned above)

Thats the closest thing to a conclusion I can come up with if you were to include electronic- and (electro)acoustic instruments under the same playing live principle.

Feel free to disagree.. (I know I probably would..)

This is basically an impossible discussion :!:
Last edited by Rabalder on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rabalder
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Norway

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by Rabalder » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:13 am

Rabalder wrote:Playing live with electronic equipment as to playing live with "real instruments" are two very different things.
In my opinion, the only way to truly play 100% live is if all sounds included in the performance are generated and modified(by you) in real-time while you play.
In second place: live triggering of samples + live tweaking. (pluss what is mentioned above)
Third place: Automation. (pluss what is mentioned above)

Thats the closest thing to a conclusion I can come up with if you were to include electronic- and (electro)acoustic instruments under the same playing live principle.

Feel free to disagree.. (I know I probably would..)

This is basically an impossible discussion :!:
Im already starting to disagree with myself..

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by supamonsta » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 am

This is basically an impossible discussion
Im already starting to disagree with myself..
indeed, it's a multidirectional discussion with no concrete thesis to discuss

the guitar VS ableton software comparison is indeed weird, but I don't think it is absolutely nonsensical.

See, I take my case with VOLT, we are 2 bandmates in it, with a huge setup around one computer and lots of midi controllers, plus some hardware synths. We begin to get used to this setup, and we already played it live 5 times, each one being a different interpretation of our set. We can now improvise on our 10-tracks live set, choosing the order of the tracks to be played on the fly, and playing the tracks with really few automation (we use clyphX to reset all sends at the drops or at some major scenes). We got controls for all mutes, sends, clip launching and scene launching, plus the ability to make weirdo sounds with 2 monotrons and trigger some "pshhhhhhhhhhh" and "wiouuuuuuuuuuuw" here and there at will. Each time our live set is played differently, because there is no automation, follow actions, and also because we like to get high while playing and we are often kinda "lost", but then we go somewhere unknown, with a kick and snare, synths improvisation, parts from another track... and we can (if we manage it well) make the crowd go nuts at the same time we go nuts ;) We just listened to our last live recording, and during 1h45 we discovered kind of new tracks, parts, we just improvised during the live show....

just to say I begin to see our live set more and more like a big instrument on which we can play and improvise, within its boundaries of course. that's psychedelic techno, and we won't play metal or electronica. But if you play the guitar in one band, that's the same, you got a track list, you can improvise, but you won't make somethig absolutely different (or just on one fun track).


I'm absolutely NOT saying there are 'real' live work and 'fake' ones. Nor am I saying we do live and others don't. We just suck at what we do , but we enjoy it a lot.

I just stick with my point : the more you make automations, the less it is "live".


cheers

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Rabalder wrote:Playing live with electronic equipment as to playing live with "real instruments" are two very different things.
In my opinion, the only way to truly play 100% live is if all sounds included in the performance are generated and modified(by you) in real-time while you play.
In second place: live triggering of samples + live tweaking. (pluss what is mentioned above)
Third place: Automation. (pluss what is mentioned above)

Thats the closest thing to a conclusion I can come up with if you were to include electronic- and (electro)acoustic instruments under the same playing live principle.

Feel free to disagree.. (I know I probably would..)

This is basically an impossible discussion :!:
Truth. But if you can compose good music.... you can be David Guetta. He performs live too.
Image

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:33 pm

That 1h45mn set isn't on SC, is it?
ImageImage

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by supamonsta » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:14 pm

That 1h45mn set isn't on SC, is it?
the one on soundcloud is not our very last recording, just a former one we made at home for testing and training (just got our 2nd launchpad), with less improvisation and that lasts only 1h15 (but there is still a huge amount of it). I'll upload the last one this week-end, but there are some cuts to be made (long lasting risings / drops are cool for the live audience going nuts, but I guess that could be too long lasting for home listening :? )

cheers


ps:
studio one free is not bad soldiers, not bad at all.
Hey icanseeclearlynowtherainhasgone, we use Live here, even if lots of us have requests and rands, and are not searching for another tool. So make your personal choice, and let us LIVE. :lol:

Rabalder
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Norway

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by Rabalder » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:23 pm

@ icanseeclearlynowtherainhasgone

Image

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:49 pm

I'll upload the last one this week-end, but there are some cuts to be made (long lasting risings / drops are cool for the live audience going nuts, but I guess that could be too long lasting for home listening )
Don't censor it, let me decide :lol: I could be drunk and totally into it and get bummed out if it gets "cut too short" :P
Really though, make it easy and don't touch it, yet. I want to hear it as it was. Please?
ImageImage

friend_kami
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by friend_kami » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:24 pm

supamonsta wrote:
so whats your point again?
=> The more you make automations, the less you play live

I'm speaking of LIVE shows, stage, not recording, even if there is some kind of "live" playing when you're recording stuff the way you seem to do. but do you say that a guitar player in the studio, recording his solo part for example, is playing Live?

I understand someone saying I can't play live until Live has clip automation recording ability, like someone saying e.g. I can't play the guitar until my guitar will be able to auto-bend, auto-arpegiate and auto-solo...

I understand why this huge missing feature can be upsetting for some of us, but saying I can't play live without this is for me kind of a bit silly... I think then one should reconsider his working process for live stage, or stick with studio duties


cheers


EDIT: if you need really really complex automations everywhere in a track, and these automations to be absolutely all there and identical when playing live, why not just make it in arrangement, then rendering all stuff in audio clips that you'll play live in session view?

(I'm not saying this feature request is dumb, I think it's an interesting missing feature, but not that necessary for live shows IMO)

perhaps his set is made up of nothing but liverecorded looping audio where all modulation is done in realtime, and alllayers and evolution of said modulation is dependant on the previous modulation?

as in, layering midi data on top of midi data?
if that is the case i can understand that he wants session cc data recording.
however the workaround is so simple (and works exactly the same heh) that i agree that is not an excuse not to play live, but each to his own.

Post Reply