"Out Of Memory" Error

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mholloway

Re: "Out Of Memory" Error

Post by mholloway » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:24 pm

it can be a mistake to take the "out of memory" error literally -- just yesterday I got the same message every time i tried to open a set, and ableton crashed every time. I then dragged in every individual channel from that set into a blank set to isolate the problem. turned out it was Gforce impOSCar plug in, it was crashing live every time it tried to load with an "out of memory" error. I re-installed impOSCar and every was fine.

so, try to troubleshoot the issue but know that message doesn't always mean exactly what you think.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Nightwingvyse

Post by Nightwingvyse » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:59 pm

mholloway wrote:it can be a mistake to take the "out of memory" error literally -- just yesterday I got the same message every time i tried to open a set, and ableton crashed every time. I then dragged in every individual channel from that set into a blank set to isolate the problem. turned out it was Gforce impOSCar plug in, it was crashing live every time it tried to load with an "out of memory" error. I re-installed impOSCar and every was fine.

so, try to troubleshoot the issue but know that message doesn't always mean exactly what you think.

-M
Thanks for the advice. I did suspect that there may be something else to it. Although i can't imagine what could be crashing it, i'm not using any external software at all. I've simply been recording stuff through an interface into it, simple as.

I'm really hoping i can salvage it, i put solid days worth of work towards it so far.

golemus2

Post by golemus2 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:20 am

Max. amount of memory Live gets is 2GB (practically 1.7GB for me at least) in 32-bit OS. If the amount of memory surpasses this Live will crash. I got rid of a lot of these problems by updating to Win7 64-bit as the OS will give Live full 4GB in that OS. Although it still crashes some times but not as often.

In Win7 32-bit there might be some workarounds to add the usable memory to 3GB with some boot options, but I have never tried this.
Nightwingvyse wrote:
mholloway wrote:it can be a mistake to take the "out of memory" error literally -- just yesterday I got the same message every time i tried to open a set, and ableton crashed every time. I then dragged in every individual channel from that set into a blank set to isolate the problem. turned out it was Gforce impOSCar plug in, it was crashing live every time it tried to load with an "out of memory" error. I re-installed impOSCar and every was fine.

-M
Thanks for the advice. I did suspect that there may be something else to it. Although i can't imagine what could be crashing it, i'm not using any external software at all. I've simply been recording stuff through an interface into it, simple as.

I'm really hoping i can salvage it, i put solid days worth of work towards it so far.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:36 am

golemus2 wrote:Max. amount of memory Live gets is 2GB (practically 1.7GB for me at least) in 32-bit OS. If the amount of memory surpasses this Live will crash. I got rid of a lot of these problems by updating to Win7 64-bit as the OS will give Live full 4GB in that OS. Although it still crashes some times but not as often.

^^
Worked for me. :D

Check out how much physical memory your set is accessing.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:43 am

Sibanger wrote:
golemus2 wrote:Max. amount of memory Live gets is 2GB (practically 1.7GB for me at least) in 32-bit OS. If the amount of memory surpasses this Live will crash. I got rid of a lot of these problems by updating to Win7 64-bit as the OS will give Live full 4GB in that OS. Although it still crashes some times but not as often.
Worked for me. :D

Check out how much physical memory your set is accessing.
Thats exactly what happens to me. And im running 32bit Win XP. I didnt know Live was limited to 2gb in the first place. So, its clearly time for an upgrade. Or can you set how much physical memory Live is accessing in XP 32? (I have 3gb installed)

@mholloway: I did the same thing as you, deleting one by one track while watching the ram usage count. It dropped down from 1.7gb to 1gb in the end. The only thing that was left was 1 single empty midi track. No clips, no vsts, no live plugs, no sends. One empty midi track: 1000mb ram. Its still there if I open a new project, and even if I choose "close live set". Opening a new project will add this 1gb to whatever the next project is using. The only way to clear the memory, is to restart Live. And if Live gets an "out of memory" crash, the whole system needs to reboot, or else Live will not respond at all. In fact XP it self crashes, and the only way to get it to reboot is pulling the electric power.

Nightwingvyse

Post by Nightwingvyse » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:26 am

I am running a 64-bit version of OSX Snow Leopard, so it will be accessing all 4GB in theory, so it's not that.

Nightwingvyse

Post by Nightwingvyse » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:40 pm

UPDATE:

I have attempted exporting with various sets of tracks deleted, and have found that the violin tracks are what are causing the crashes, but the confusing thing is that there's still no explanation why. they're just 5 basic tracks with a compressor, EQ8, chorus and reverb effects. I noticed before that having too many tracks with a reverb effect (even if the tracks they're on are switched off) causes playback to get a little scratchy. Little ironic.

EDIT: I have found that it is in fact the effects on the violin tracks causing this, even though i have testing the successful export of another Live Set with more than three times the number of tracks with the same effects. :?

Do any of you more experienced Live 8 users think that if i started a new Live Set, and simply copied all my tracks across, that this would solve the problem?

Thanks!

Nightwingvyse

Post by Nightwingvyse » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:27 pm

It turns out that the chorus and reverb effects are the problem. Both effects; crash. One of the two removed; crash. Both removed; ok.

The worst bit is that they are the most important effects on the violin rack. I'm not an awful violinist, but i lack the expertise and the extra expensive instrument to not require reverb at least.

Has anyone else had any experience of rack effects crashing Live 8?

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:21 am

Nightwingvyse wrote:It turns out that the chorus and reverb effects are the problem. Both effects; crash. One of the two removed; crash. Both removed; ok.

The worst bit is that they are the most important effects on the violin rack. I'm not an awful violinist, but i lack the expertise and the extra expensive instrument to not require reverb at least.

Has anyone else had any experience of rack effects crashing Live 8?
Are those Abletons native plugs? I dont think the plugs them self creates the crash, other then using up Ram. Thus, creating an out of memory crash. It seems to be something going on with 8.2 and 8.2.1

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:33 am

Have you Checked out how much physical memory your set is accessing?

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:05 pm

I think we have some answare in regards to ram crashes accuring at arroud 1.7gb of memory usage. Your running a 32bit system. If what people here says is true, Live only uses maximum 2gb ram on a 32bit system (ram crash might accur when pushing above 1.7gb) While a 64bit system would set the limit to 4gb, and from there on Live probably get ram crashes when pushing above 3.5gb of memory usage. (so ive herd)