emagic emi 2/6 headphone signal delay - help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

emagic emi 2/6 headphone signal delay - help

Post by nuperspective » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:33 pm

When using the headphone monitoring of the emi there is a distinct delay between the audio out and headphones. i presume it the latency settings for the card. so...

does anybody have any tips for the best settings.

or

whats the best way to optimise the settings in live.

cheers

brecht

Re: emagic emi 2/6 headphone signal delay - help

Post by brecht » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:11 pm

nuperspective wrote:When using the headphone monitoring of the emi there is a distinct delay between the audio out and headphones. i presume it the latency settings for the card. so...
The first thing you have to do is edit the Options.txt file in your Preferences folder and add the line:

"-AsioSupportProcessNow=1"

(see
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic ... tions+emi )

This will halve the achievable latency.

But I've been getting pretty lousy latency even with this setting. I can get Live to run without glitches with the emi's latency settings at 4ms. But when I do the Live Latency Test (as in section 5.2.3 of the manual), the overall latency is actually 30ms. The crappy built in Direct X sound card on my laptop performs better than that!

Has anyone gotten better overall latency performance out of the EMI? Or is it time for me to buy a new sound card?

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:08 pm

I've seen that tip before but i wasnt sure if it was for older versions of live and not live 4.0. did anybody notice an improvement? the seems to run okay when djing a couple of channels but the delay is terrable between the phones.

brecht

Post by brecht » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:16 pm

nuperspective wrote:I've seen that tip before but i wasnt sure if it was for older versions of live and not live 4.0.
Nope. It's for all versions of Live. They moved the preferences folder in Live 4 to

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Ableton\Live 4.0.4\Preferences

The Options.txt still helps.

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:59 pm

right i'll try it when i get home. i've your other post 29ms is the best with this card anyway. i'm not doing much recording at the moment - just playback, but it looks like an ugrade might be in order.