Sub Poll

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Do you use a sub in your set up?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:58 am

Yes
7
22%
No
25
78%
 
Total votes: 32

Undercover Soul
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:53 am
Location: Ingeerland

Sub Poll

Post by Undercover Soul » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:58 am

Do you use a sub in your set up?

I am running hs80m studio monitors and I was wondering if anyone else bothers using a separate sub?

swishniak
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:25 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Sub Poll

Post by swishniak » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:24 am

no. but thinking about getting one..

TheDriller
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Re: Sub Poll

Post by TheDriller » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:29 am

Nope,

Sub in an un-treated room is bad news.

Rupert Brown
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Sub Poll

Post by Rupert Brown » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:37 pm

TheDriller wrote:Nope,

Sub in an un-treated room is bad news.
+1

Im not fan even in well treated small rooms. Also calibration to get the crossover point/levels with your monitor 100% is a pain. Chances are if you cant hear the bass on a normal pair of nearfields its because of acoustic issues, look at bass traps before subs!
Image

timothyallan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Sub Poll

Post by timothyallan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Rupert Brown wrote:
TheDriller wrote:Nope,

Sub in an un-treated room is bad news.
+1

Im not fan even in well treated small rooms. Also calibration to get the crossover point/levels with your monitor 100% is a pain. Chances are if you cant hear the bass on a normal pair of nearfields its because of acoustic issues, look at bass traps before subs!
+ kajillion

3phase
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Sub Poll

Post by 3phase » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:09 pm

i use a sub but its remoteable from the listening position and i just dial it in to see what effekt it does.. a mix basicalyhas to work without the sub and adding the sub shouldnt make the room swim.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

foxymethoxy
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:43 am

Re: Sub Poll

Post by foxymethoxy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:22 pm

TheDriller wrote:Nope,

Sub in an un-treated room is bad news.
+1

Learned this the hard way

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: Sub Poll

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:03 pm

I use Mackie HR824's dont need a sub. However many times after I think I get my mix sounding pretty good on my monitors, I then take my laptop out to my car, Honda Element with a 15" sub box in the back (fairly decent system). I will tweak the mix a bit if needed, then go back to my monitors and listen and do final adjustments.

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Sub Poll

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:11 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:However many times after I think I get my mix sounding pretty good on my monitors, I then take my laptop out to my car, Honda Element with a 15" sub box in the back (fairly decent system). I will tweak the mix a bit if needed, then go back to my monitors and listen and do final adjustments.
this is essentially what i do too. i actually mix it down to a CD first though. this can take several trips to the car... probably a little cheaper your way JuanSOLO :wink:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: Sub Poll

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:27 pm

Yeah I have a little 8th inch jack thats built into my car, love it.

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Sub Poll

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:06 pm

^ careful you'll start a whole OT sub topic about which 1/8th inch cable to use and the pros and cons of mixing via a jack.



grumble grumble weakest link grumble audio chain grumble superior intellect grumble Computer Music even says grumble :twisted:

simpli.cissimus
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: Sub Poll

Post by simpli.cissimus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Undercover Soul wrote:Do you use a sub in your set up?

I am running hs80m studio monitors and I was wondering if anyone else bothers using a separate sub?
I have the HS80's too and I didn't miss any subs...
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

ze2be
Posts: 3463
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Europe

Re: Sub Poll

Post by ze2be » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:24 pm

Well, yes. But I always have it shut of. So I voted no.

3phase
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Sub Poll

Post by 3phase » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:30 pm

H20nly wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:However many times after I think I get my mix sounding pretty good on my monitors, I then take my laptop out to my car, Honda Element with a 15" sub box in the back (fairly decent system). I will tweak the mix a bit if needed, then go back to my monitors and listen and do final adjustments.
this is essentially what i do too. i actually mix it down to a CD first though. this can take several trips to the car... probably a little cheaper your way JuanSOLO :wink:

in ideal you have a loft for your studio with an elevator that can carry cars
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

2be
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:03 am

Re: Sub Poll

Post by 2be » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Most of the time, it is turned off. I'm in an untreated small room, and already have enough frequency problems. And the problem is, if I turn on the sub, it's sounding too good. If I then listen to what I've created on a system with no sub, it sounds awful.
However, if I get something to sound good without the sub and then slowly raise the volume of the sub (I'm using a volume control rather than a simple on/off switch for the sub), most of the time it will sound even better.
I think it's important to have a sub if you are into a bass-heavy genre, just to check the low end from time to time. Just a tiny bit of subby frequencies can give you a good impression how it would sound in the club.

Post Reply