NI's new synth - Razor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
arachnaut

Re: NI's new synth - Razor

Post by arachnaut » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:51 pm

sporkles wrote:
That is so annoying. NI have a lot of great products, but I cannot understand the rationale behind having to run an instrument inside a player.
It's not hard to understand - every Reaktor object is just a piece of software and Reaktor is the compiler. It's just like Max in that respect. You can't run a Max object without Max. You can't run a Live Rack or Sampler or Tension or ... without Live.

The Reaktor Player is just a run-time version of Reaktor with minimal features (no edit or save). And it's free, how can you beat that?

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:33 am

abletontrainer.com wrote:jesus has dubstep not died yet?
It's died in the underground but has just started to make waves in the mainstream in the past year.

Prior to 2010 I don't think I ever heard the term "wobble" being used. Today it's the most common noun found on all synth forum postings 8)
estevan carlos benson wrote:We've been using FM for too long.
After 20 years people finally figured out how to program FM, it's just taking longer for additive. Looks like Razor puts a subtractive programming interface on top of an additive engine.

Note that the documentation mentions that the effects are actually synthesized! There's also no real filters, that's how they get away with the variable slope business.

I like the fact that it sounds digital rather than another vintage analog emulation.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:40 am

Got Razor. Loving the sound quality.

I really think they did a disservice to the synth with that dubstep video - so many great non-dubstep sounds in it that tons of people won't take the time to investigate because the video screams LOOK YOU CAN WOBBLE WITH IT!

Nice work errorsmith - daddy liiiike.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:29 am

One question - is it possible to have Reaktor load with Razor in it by default, other than saving it in an Instrument Rack?

mdk

Post by mdk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:20 am

i dont think so, i put all the reaktor patches i like re-using into racks. makes finding them again a lot easier.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:13 pm

It would help if NI would actually make a point of shipping / installing Kore 2 patches for everything as well - including Reactor synths/fx etc - Grrr!
Nothing to see here - move along!

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:52 pm

How does the synth work with the free Reaktor Player vs Reaktor 5.5?
Do i have less options / editting possibilities with the Player?

I checked the listed Reaktor Player/5.5 differences on NI's site but i don't get it. If i use Razor with Reaktor player i can't save presets? Then what's the use of getting the synth?

Just bought Massive a few weeks ago. If i have to buy Reaktor 5.5 now too i am already at the price for a Komplete bundle?! Why is Reaktor so expensive by itself? Can't i just buy Reaktor without most the synths/fx for a lesser price?

Aargh. NI is frustrating. :? :oops:

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:10 pm

Just save the presets as rack in live. But yes, from what I see, one can't save own presets in Reaktor Player?

Setting up my own synth settings and saving them as a rack works great, so it's no drama. Reaktor costs money because it's their "max4live".

Razor so far is a great synth, really enjoying it.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:32 pm

zeepster wrote:Why is Reaktor so expensive by itself? Can't i just buy Reaktor without most the synths/fx for a lesser price?
Reaktor is so worth every penny.

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:16 am

agent314 wrote:One question - is it possible to have Reaktor load with Razor in it by default, other than saving it in an Instrument Rack?
You can set Reaktor preferences to load the last ensemble on startup - and load Razor before quiting Reaktor. Or you can load it in a live set and save that using Reaktor autosave. It doesn't have to be in a rack at all. You could even save Razor under the name 'New.ens' and it will be loaded as the default New (empty) ensemble - but that's not very smart.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:34 am

zeepster wrote:How does the synth work with the free Reaktor Player vs Reaktor 5.5?
Do i have less options / editting possibilities with the Player?

I checked the listed Reaktor Player/5.5 differences on NI's site but i don't get it. If i use Razor with Reaktor player i can't save presets? Then what's the use of getting the synth?

Just bought Massive a few weeks ago. If i have to buy Reaktor 5.5 now too i am already at the price for a Komplete bundle?! Why is Reaktor so expensive by itself? Can't i just buy Reaktor without most the synths/fx for a lesser price?

Aargh. NI is frustrating. :? :oops:
Look around on KVR etc and you might get lucky. Even if you pay full price, Reaktor will keep on giving.