What Pretty Lights does so well and why people like his jams

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
agent314

Re: What Pretty Lights does so well and why people like his jams

Post by agent314 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:23 am

Then, how do you set different oscillators on different notes? I haven't gotten my head around the step sequencers yet.
Do you mean how do you assign different pitches to the different voices/oscs? That's just the Coarse tune knob. Pretty sure it's 48 or 96 semitones in either direction.

If you mean how do you get it to play different notes like a sequenced pattern, you right click and assign one of the sequencers to the Coarse knob and then draw in the different pitches. You can have it snap to 1/12 increments (i.e. the chromatic scale) with the Snap Y option, or otherwise just use whichever pitch you draw in.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:44 am

UncleAge wrote: what is this style of music? (genre?)
bump

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:04 pm

I've always thought of it as sort of dubstep-lite with some hiphop influences.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:52 am

though it doesn't really sound very dubstep-y to me
Yeah, I agree. that's why I amended it to dubstep-lite.

It's got periodic hints of wobble with deep sub bass, and a lot of his beats are sort of stutter-syncopated a la dubstep, but with more of a straight feel to them.

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:55 am

Post Hip-Hop might be right..

I've Youtubed a couple of his tracks and on first listen through, I was interested. After trying for a second time though things were a tad too slow and laid back for me.

It's like the aggressiveness is alllmooosst there...

But it's not. I can see the appeal though, it's basic enough to be accessible and swingy enough to be danceable.

Not my cup o' tea really though... At least that song wasn't. beats me mentioned his earlier albums having variety so I'll give his first one a download.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:52 am

scutheotaku wrote:"post hip hop"
I like that. I'm gonna start using it, and do my part to make it a thing.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks everybody!

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:03 am

agent314 wrote:
Then, how do you set different oscillators on different notes? I haven't gotten my head around the step sequencers yet.
Do you mean how do you assign different pitches to the different voices/oscs? That's just the Coarse tune knob. Pretty sure it's 48 or 96 semitones in either direction.

If you mean how do you get it to play different notes like a sequenced pattern, you right click and assign one of the sequencers to the Coarse knob and then draw in the different pitches. You can have it snap to 1/12 increments (i.e. the chromatic scale) with the Snap Y option, or otherwise just use whichever pitch you draw in.
I´m pretty sure it´s an octave switch like in Abletons "Analog" synthesizer. Does the same like the "coarse tune" knob but it´s quantised to octaves and therefore more easily playable.
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:00 am

Trip hop, no?

Wunjo

Post by Wunjo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:35 pm

The genre is Glitch Hop. Look up Dj Vespers, GlitchMob, Gramatik, etc... it's all in feel of the drums not necesarily the synths or basses.
"Everything in life is just one big plug-in. Don't limit yourself to one swiss-army knife approach. Try to experiment with all the kinds of wonderful VST instruments out there..."

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Wunjo wrote:The genre is Glitch Hop. Look up Dj Vespers, GlitchMob, Gramatik, etc... it's all in feel of the drums not necesarily the synths or basses.
Gramatik I was already familiar with. Thanks for naming of a few more.

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:11 pm

First couple of releases were fun...Saw em live last year...Set sounded pretty much verbatim to the albums. Not much in the way of stretching out or jamming at all. Definitely overworking a formula at this point.
No...I am 3phase!

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:28 pm

First couple of releases were fun...Saw em live last year...Set sounded pretty much verbatim to the albums. Not much in the way of stretching out or jamming at all. Definitely overworking a formula at this point.
Yeah, this was how he was last year when I him with the drummer last year. It was basically like listening to the albums on a big PA with a lot of people.

Pretty meh. :/

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:01 pm

Yeah...Compared to say, Bassnectar, who we had seen a couple of weeks earlier, who was definitely chopping his stuff and restructuring it in a much more dynamic way.
Same with Nosaj Thing...you can tell he's jamming with his set elements vs. just playing a bunch of scenes.
No...I am 3phase!

lukemorman45

Post by lukemorman45 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:36 pm

Joefro wrote:Here is another example. Same type of synth, all over the place highs and lows. Comes in with the beat at 0:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsVr-uS9VVU - Still Night

Anyone know if this is hardware or a soft synth? Any how would you achieve these types of sound transitions in a synth like Massive? Is this simply pitch shifting envelopes that are very rapid, or is this some specific "effect"? Thanks for any help.

Joe

Its simple, all you need is an analog, a saw wave on osc 1 and a square wave on osc 2. Set the global detune to about 28.75, and detune osc 1 to 5.00 and osc 2 to -5.00 so you can get a grittier sound, then throw on a simple delay, set both delays to time and put them both at 8.01 for that glitchy echo effect, and then put like a sore throat guitar amp on it, and maybe throw an appregiator on there for the pitch shifts, and you can also bend the octaves in osc 1 and 2. And thats pretty much it.