Uc-33e Scene up/down buttons

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Patch

Uc-33e Scene up/down buttons

Post by Patch » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:36 am

Mornin', Gents...
I'm setting up my UC-33e to control live along with a DM2, but I've got a little problem... The scene up/down buttons have to be pressed twice to get them to perform any action. I realise why this happens - but don't know how to change it. Can anyone tell me how to get these buttons sending MIDI notes, rather than an on/off message?

While I'm asking crap questions :wink: - is there a way of moving around clips in scenes then triggering them using a dedicated button? i.e - can I move to scene 4 using the scene up/down, then move to track four, and trigger that clip? (One button to trigger whatever clip is highlighted...) This is pretty much the only thing I use my mouse for at the moment, and I hate it!

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:03 am

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 7496#87496

see hoffman2k's post.

and please try the search function sometime :wink:
seems like this question is getting asked every other week now. :)

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:13 am

and on your other question.
you have a couple options.
highlighted clips can be triggered with the keyboard "ENTER" button.
you can either use it instead of the mouse, or use Bome's Midi Translator to translate a Midi note from the UC33 to send an "ENTER" key command.

Or, if you go into Midi Assign, you'll see on each channel is a global channel launch play button. assigning notes from the UC33 to these buttons, inconjunction with the scene up/down function will allow you to totally get rid of using the mouse. whatever scene is highlighted, the track launch button will launch the clip that is in the highlighted scene within whatever channel you are launching from, make sense?

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:42 am

Adamjay, I still ain't got it. I've had the same question.

Assigning the way you suggest, I still find that hitting the selected button is triggering an entire scene, not just the intersecting point (clip) of scene and track. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks from a newbie,

later,
John
www.soundclick.com/johntenney

iMac G5, Reason 3.0, Live 5, Peak 5.01 LE, mp3 Trimmer, Finale 2006, various VSTs, Yamaha PSR 170 keyboard (cheap midi controller), Evolution UC33e (not so cheap midi controller)

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:48 am

is your button assigned to a play symbol on the right of the ableton window?
or is it assigned to a play symbol IN an individual channel ? (the latter is only visible during midi assignment)

Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:50 am

Adamjay - I did assign a button on the uc-33 to the play button on the right, but it did not play the highlighted CLIP, it played the highlighted SCENE. Here's my controller setup:

UC-33e - Live
>> ------ Scene down
<< ------ Scene down
Play ----- Play (on right of screen)
1 -------- Track 1
2 -------- Track 2
3 -------- Track 3
4 -------- Track 4
5 -------- Track 5
6 -------- Track 6

So, using the number buttons, and the >> and << buttons on the UC-33e, I should be able to highlight any clip in any scene, then launch it with the play button on the controller, right?

It looks like I'm gonna have to use Bomes Midi translator and map a button on my UC-33e to the enter key on the keyboard to launch an individual clip. But then will I have to assign midi buttons to the 4 arrow keys for navigation
Last edited by Patch on Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:55 am

you could do that... but its just kinda anti-productive. if you have to be infront of the screen to navigate, then you're probably also infront of the computer keyboard. so why not just use it? it has buttons, just like midi controllers do, and they're all just as functional and assignable.

theres so many ways to navigate / trigger clips without the mouse.
experiment with the different methods and use whats best for you. i personally don't mind using the arrow keys and enter key. i have plenty of A-Z keys assigned to functions as well.

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:58 am

Oops. My apologies, gentlemen. I overlooked something, and have just fixed the problem. Many thanks for getting me to take a (much) closer look! :lol:

later,
John

iMac G5, Reason 3.0, Live 5, Peak 5.01 LE, mp3 Trimmer, Finale 2006, various VSTs, Yamaha PSR 170 keyboard (cheap midi controller), Evolution UC33e (not so cheap midi controller)

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:58 pm

Patch wrote:Adamjay - I did assign a button on the uc-33 to the play button on the right, but it did not play the highlighted CLIP, it played the highlighted SCENE.
well thats the problem, you are assigning your buttons to the wrong play buttons.

ignore the play buttons on the right.

now, when you go into Midi Assign mode, you'll see Play buttons pop up in the CHANNELS. Keep in mind that you will only see these buttons in Midi Assign Mode. Every CHANNEL has its own play button. It will play whatever clip is highlighted in the channel, and these can be highlighted by moving up/down scenes.

THESE are the play buttons you want to assign. not the ones on the right.

unfortunately this isn't covered in the manual very well (if it all i don't think) But just read through very carefully what i just typed and you should be able to figure it out. i'll see if i can post a screenshot to help.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:06 pm

here we go this should make things MUCH easier...

visual reference.

The ARROW points to the play buttons that should be assigned, notice they are only visable in midi or key assign mode.

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:21 pm

Adamjay, thanks so much for taking the time, and providing the screenshot! Your explanation was, in fact, what I had discovered on my own last night. It was a big "oops" on my part to have overlooked that row of channel buttons while in the assign mode. But, you know, I really appreciate it that you would go to the trouble. Generosity is one of the things that makes this community so cool, besides the potential of GREAT music!

Now I can jump back into my project (still the first one, I've only been using Live less than 2 months), a complicated impressionistic soundscape-with-off the wall-comments etc. about Las Vegas. Because of the amount of "one-shot" clip firing I have to do in it, not knowing what I now know was really cramping my style.

later,
John