Need help on a usb interface

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ekord123

Need help on a usb interface

Post by ekord123 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm looking at two different audio interfaces, the fast track ultra and the focusrite saffire pro 24, to upgrade from my behringer uca222. both fall within my price range, but I am pretty new to much of this so any advice or further clarification would help me out so much (I dont want to blow 300 bucks on the wrong one!). My criteria are speed ( i want the lowest latency possible), sound quality, and overall performance (im using these for live performances and home recording). I understand that firewire is faster than usb, but how much? considering that the ultra is pretty high end, is the difference negligible? Also, I have windows 7 64x and I have never used fire wire before, would I need a certain audio card to get any use out of the saffire? If anyone out there could provide any insight on this subject it would be much appreciated. cheers. -erik

ansiaaa

Re: Need help on a usb interface

Post by ansiaaa » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:47 pm

I haven't tried those audio devices, but here are some general advices that are usually overlooked.

firewire and USB 2.0 have pretty much the same qualities, it all depends on the drivers. read some review online about the audio devices you are going to buy to understand their quality and performances.

if you want to use a firewire audio device be sure to have a texas instruments chipset for the firewire port and to use a firewire400 port (many audio devices have problems with the newer 800's).
if you don't have it I strongly recommend you to buy a PCI card with those specs (or a PCMCIA card if you are on a laptop).

(if you have a Mac your firewire is already good enough)

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:44 pm

go for the focusrite. got a sapphire pro 40 and it's a great device. to be fair, the M-Audio is not too bad either.
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

ekord123

Post by ekord123 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks ansiaa, I would have never known to look for theose specs. Im definitely finding a lot of 400 cards but im not sure about the texas instrument chips. Could you recommend anything? Its for a laptop.

ansiaaa

Post by ansiaaa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:59 pm

ekord123 wrote:Thanks ansiaa, I would have never known to look for theose specs. Im definitely finding a lot of 400 cards but im not sure about the texas instrument chips. Could you recommend anything? Its for a laptop.
the one I have is a: Serial Technologies Expander - FireWire800 & 1394a Combo 3Ports ExpressCard/34 (TI chipset)

sorry but that's the only one I've ever found after some research when I bought my new laptop.
if you need to know, it works with Win7 64bit

anyway as you can see this one has got both the 800 and 400, but since it's a TI it works perfectly.
however you might even use a Via chipset, or something else and still noticing no problems at all! it all depends on your soundcard, drivers and so on...
I didn't want to gamble anymore with hardware the last time I bought my new laptop and PC and tried to find what I knew wouldn't give me any problems without any doubt.

if you want to save yourself some hassle go with a USB audio device.

djanciano

Post by djanciano » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:42 pm

Native Instruments Traktor Audio 2, 6 or 10 Great stuf. :wink:
MacBookPro 15" MacMini I5, Ableton Suite 9 64/32 Bit, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC20, Audio 2 DJ, Samsung 27", KrK Rockit 5, KrK Headphones, Kontrol S4, Ipad 2 TouchAble, TouchOSC, LoopTastic & Studio HD

http://soundcloud.com/djanciano