Do controllers store sounds from Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tinymachines

Do controllers store sounds from Ableton?

Post by tinymachines » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:09 am

I know this is probably a silly question, but can average controllers store sounds that you like so that you can just amp them to play live?

nuxnamon

Re: Do controllers store sounds from Ableton?

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:25 am

you can't amp midi controllers.. midi is not audio..

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:31 am

No. MIDI controllers produce no sound at all.
MIDI Controllers transmit and (sometimes-receive) midi data to other midi devices or midi enebled software, such as Ableton.

You cannot store sounds inside a MIDI controller but using Live you can create templates w/ the MIDI mappings you want to use and then save them for future use w/ your controller.

WHat controller are u using?

tinymachines

Post by tinymachines » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:26 am

Just trying to decide how to play live because my girlfriend wants to start a band with me after years of us both playing solo. She needs a live instrument but we're not going to bring our computers to play shows. I have a simple keyrig 25 key for Live recording, but never really messed with any features. I guess that means we have to go synth for her.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:52 am

tinymachines wrote:Just trying to decide how to play live because my girlfriend wants to start a band with me after years of us both playing solo. She needs a live instrument but we're not going to bring our computers to play shows. I have a simple keyrig 25 key for Live recording, but never really messed with any features. I guess that means we have to go synth for her.
WHy not bring your computer to play shows. Everyone on this forum (probably) does just that.
Thats what MIDI controllers are for. So your not on stage looking like your checking your e-mail.
You can program them so that you don't even have to look at the computer. The computer can be off in the corner, out of sight and just there as a sequencer. Some people even use it as an effects processor.
The uses are endless. And much cheaper than buying a hard-ware synth

tinymachines

Post by tinymachines » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:31 am

Because we don't want to set up a computer tower every time we play. Plus, the computer isn't built stable enough to take car rides. It'd just be a HUGE HUGE hassle.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:42 am

tinymachines wrote:Because we don't want to set up a computer tower every time we play. Plus, the computer isn't built stable enough to take car rides. It'd just be a HUGE HUGE hassle.
Oh shit. Sorry. I just assumed we were talking about a laptop. My bad.
Well then. go get yourself a hard ware synth.
They are quite expensive generally and you'd need to at least know the basics of subtractive synthesis, or, depending on how professional you guys plan on being just go buy a cheap keyboard. Might sound a lil cheesy tho.

ansiaaa

Post by ansiaaa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:26 am

I actually think that Sunsetter's suggestion about the laptop was the best solution for you guys.
I don't know your background and your knowledge about synths or software, but you will have much more freedom (in terms of sound) with an average laptop and some software synth than with a hardware synth.

if you want something of good quality you are even going to spend less that way. in the beginning you can even start using free software: there are many good VST synths that are completely free.

and since you want to start a band, you will be able to use that computer also to write and record your songs.

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:59 am

Or you could get a sound module and plug your midi controller in to that, although they vary in prices too so you might be able to get a decent laptop for the same price as a good sound module
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:00 am

when you can avoid computers on stage you are better off.. email writing on stage is so .. between 90´s and teenys
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:09 am

mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:23 pm

ansiaaa wrote:I actually think that Sunsetter's suggestion about the laptop was the best solution for you guys.
I don't know your background and your knowledge about synths or software, but you will have much more freedom (in terms of sound) with an average laptop and some software synth than with a hardware synth.

if you want something of good quality you are even going to spend less that way. in the beginning you can even start using free software: there are many good VST synths that are completely free.

and since you want to start a band, you will be able to use that computer also to write and record your songs.
exactly. There are tons of free soft-synths and even good quality DAWS that are very in-expensive. Check out Reaper. It's actually better than Live in a lot of ways.

Check here for all the info on VST's you'll need.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/

Here's a free Bass Synth thats not too shabby.

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_TAL-Elek7ro

Sure there are Hard-Ware purists out there (3-phase) : ) , but some of us don't have a G to drop on a synthesiser.
Believe me, I would be a purist if I had the money. In fact, soft-ware is really a substitute of the real thing. It's purpose, in most cases, is to emulate it's hard-ware counter-part. So really, if you can afford the real thing, then that's definitely the way to go. Plus, it's much more fun to actually turn knobs, and patch modules together.

But, on the flip-side, using MIDI and OSC, one can control soft-ware completely from a controller (or a chain of controllers.) Just takes a little bit of knowledge. And , it's much cheaper.

Idk, do what you do bro. Just have fun! : )

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:22 pm

get a 2nd hand keyboard with sounds if you just want to play..
there are excellent ones on the cheap side...
any 90s "workstation from kurzweill/yamaha/korg would do a good job imo...
you can also use it as a midi controller