Building a new DAW - What do you guys think of this setup?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DRStudio

Building a new DAW - What do you guys think of this setup?

Post by DRStudio » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:28 am

I'm building a new DAW and would appreciate any comments and ideas about the following setup:

* Intel Core i7 i950
* Asus P6x58d
* GeForce GTX460
* 8GB RAM DDR3-1333 Kingston
* 1TB Seagate SATA-2

I'll be running Win7 Pro 64 bits on it. Here's what i already have and will use on the new DAW:

* Live Suite 8
* Reason 4
* Massive, Guitar Rig 4, Sonic Fiction, True Strike Tension, Scarbee Jay-Bass, Addictive Drums 1.5
* Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 (for some occasional video editing)
* Focusrite Saffire 6
* Novation Remote 37SL
* 2 Novation Launchpads
* 2 external 500GB HD's connected via USB (for backup only, using CrashPlan)

I did some research and it seems that the Asus P6x58d is a good MB for audio. I'm wondering if any of you guys here have a similar setup and what are your thoughts on it. My current setup (C2D E6600 2.4GHZ, 2GB) isn't able to handle Live Suite 8 + GR4 + Massive without huge CPU spikes (freezing some of the tracks isn't helping much also).

On the same subject: since i've used my last authorization for Live 8, what's the correct way to ask for another one? Is it better to buy the computer first and then ask for a new authorization, or can i just ask now? Sorry if this sounds kinda lame, but it's the first time i'll upgrade my setup since i've got Live 2 years ago.

Any suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!
Daniel
Last edited by DRStudio on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McQ714

Re: Building a new DAW - What do you guys think of this?

Post by McQ714 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:19 am

why not the intel 2nd gen i7 and lga 1155 board?

do nvidia cards still have conflicts with audio hardware? might check into that. i think there might be a problem with nvidia cards?!?!

ansiaaa

Post by ansiaaa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:18 am

when you have that kind of money to spend, I'd go and buy an assembled laptop from someone who builds them specifically for pro audio music production.
they aren't even that expensive.

since you are from Brazil have a look at this website: adkproaudio.com

the main problems with PC's used for audio production are often related to the wrong chipsets or the wrong devices more than CPU raw power

Anand

Post by Anand » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:57 am

X58 is the way to go. Sandy bridge has serious PCie and SATA issues which will only be addressed in June.

Go for 1600 RAM which the X58 should support. Also take a look at the sabre tooth MB from Asus.

Obviously the increased bandwidth with this system will not be of any use running live 8 at 32bit! But yes you prepare for the future. Take a look at Reaper - its an excellent deal at $40.

joewalch

Post by joewalch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:40 am

Take a look at Focusrites recommendations for Firewire chipsets. I think they only recommend two Texas Instrument ones and I recently sent back an Asus P45 board in favour of a Gigabyte equivalent because of this.

Details here:

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/ ... bility.pdf

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Looks good.. If it hasnt been mentioned, I would sugjest adding a small ssd system disk. Would also look for a silent graphic card, and a silent cabinet. This will not add much to the budgjet, but is highly worth it!

Frederik654

Post by Frederik654 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:36 pm

For the unlocks just contact unlock@ableton.com I think and ask,

Dear Ableton since I'm moving to a new system I'd like to have a refresh of my unlocks please.

<Insert serials here>

Thanks.

Oh en I don't know what you will do but forget about win7 PRO .. just buy home premium .. PRO is only if you like to have like 100 languages and some other things nobody uses. On the other side, don't know how Apple minded you are but why not wait a bit longer and see if a new iMac can suit your needs. They will probably get a refresh some time soon.
Live8 Suite, Logic Pro X, µTonic, Synplant, U-He ACE, U-He Zebra2.x, U-He Uhbik's, U-He DIVA, Tal Bassline, GURU, Genelec 8040's, SPL Control, Serato, Traktor, TouchAble

DRStudio

Post by DRStudio » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks everyone that replied so far! :)
McQ714 wrote:why not the intel 2nd gen i7 and lga 1155 board?
do nvidia cards still have conflicts with audio hardware? might check into that. i think there might be a problem with nvidia cards?!?!
From what i've read, the Sandy Bridge processors (or the newest Intel chipsets, dunno for sure) had to be recalled in january. Too many stability issues, thou it seems that as long as you get the "B3" motherboard you're good to go. That's why i've chosen the i950, as it seems a more reliable platform for audio (despite being a little bit older).

ansiaaa wrote:when you have that kind of money to spend, I'd go and buy an assembled laptop from someone who builds them specifically for pro audio music production. they aren't even that expensive. since you are from Brazil have a look at this website: adkproaudio.com
the main problems with PC's used for audio production are often related to the wrong chipsets or the wrong devices more than CPU raw power
Yes! Absolutely. Chipsets can make or break your system. Going to a more stable chipset seems the way to go. In terms of price, it's too expensive to buy from ADK or abroad, 'cause i'll need to pay some absurd taxes over here. The price could easily be 3 or 4 times more expensive... :roll: :|

Anand wrote:X58 is the way to go. Sandy bridge has serious PCie and SATA issues which will only be addressed in June.
Go for 1600 RAM which the X58 should support. Also take a look at the sabre tooth MB from Asus.
Obviously the increased bandwidth with this system will not be of any use running live 8 at 32bit! But yes you prepare for the future. Take a look at Reaper - its an excellent deal at $40.
Cool! I'm gonna take a look at some other X58 MBs also. Not planning to move to Reaper right now, but might be an alternative to Live.

joewalch wrote:Take a look at Focusrites recommendations for Firewire chipsets. I think they only recommend two Texas Instrument ones and I recently sent back an Asus P45 board in favour of a Gigabyte equivalent because of this.
Details here:
http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/ ... bility.pdf
Thanks for the tip. I believe it only applies to Firewire interfaces, right? The Saffire 6 is USB, so i should be fine with the Asus.

ze2be wrote:Looks good.. If it hasnt been mentioned, I would sugjest adding a small ssd system disk. Would also look for a silent graphic card, and a silent cabinet. This will not add much to the budgjet, but is highly worth it!
Yes! In fact, i would love to have a silent computer lol. It's nearly impossible to record a mic in my studio. Will check some silent cases for sure. SSDs are too expensive over here yet, but i might get one as soon as the prices drop.

Frederik654 wrote:For the unlocks just contact unlock@ableton.com I think and ask,

Dear Ableton since I'm moving to a new system I'd like to have a refresh of my unlocks please.
<Insert serials here>
Oh en I don't know what you will do but forget about win7 PRO .. just buy home premium .. PRO is only if you like to have like 100 languages and some other things nobody uses. On the other side, don't know how Apple minded you are but why not wait a bit longer and see if a new iMac can suit your needs. They will probably get a refresh some time soon.
Thanks! Seems like i won't have any problem then with the unlock. I might go the W7 Premium route then. The iMacs are hugely expensive here, so for now i'll take the cheaper option hehe.

Thanks for the help so far, everyone! Any new suggestions and ideas about the i7/L8 would be greatly appreciated.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Frederik654 wrote:don't know how Apple minded you are but why not wait a bit longer and see if a new iMac can suit your needs. They will probably get a refresh some time soon.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Product iMac
Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon
Last Release July 27, 2010
Days Since Update 245 (Avg = 226)
Recent Rumors
03/22: Potential iMac Update to Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt in 4-6 Weeks?

DRStudio

Post by DRStudio » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:37 pm

Anyone here using the Sandy Bridge already? :?:

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:13 pm

Frederik654 wrote:Oh en I don't know what you will do but forget about win7 PRO .. just buy home premium .. PRO is only if you like to have like 100 languages and some other things nobody uses. On the other side, don't know how Apple minded you are but why not wait a bit longer and see if a new iMac can suit your needs. They will probably get a refresh some time soon.
+1 Win 7 Pro is just a waste of money. It's targeted to people who work in a complex network environment.

I would also suggest a 64gb SSD for your system drive. Makes booting and launching programs A LOT faster.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Don't know how much difference it makes, but those boards use ram best in matched groups of 3 not pairs. 3x2mb and 3x1mb might be a better option. Check this with someone who know's their stuff more than me though.

McQ714

Re: Building a new DAW - What do you guys think of this setup?

Post by McQ714 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:39 pm

wow there is a lot of incorrect info flying around in here.

first off, Intel already fixed the sandy bridge issues and is re-shipping, hence the reason why they are for sale again.
secondly, it's Windows 7 ultimate that offers the language pack, not professional. 3 big reasons to have win7 pro installed... 1)remote desktop client and host; 2)ability to backup to a network drive; and 3) file encryption (which you may not use but still good to have).

and don't waste ur money on a 64gb ssd drive. if you are going to get an ssd drive, it should be at least double that. there's a lot of software that you may install that won't let you choose initially where to install it to and a lot of software that installs components to the system drive even if you choose to install it elsewhere. you don't want your system drive to be 50% full after just installing the operating system and a few utilities.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:26 am

McQ714 wrote:3 big reasons to have win7 pro installed... 1)remote desktop client and host; 2)ability to backup to a network drive; and 3) file encryption (which you may not use but still good to have).
All very useful features for DAW, eh?
McQ714 wrote:and don't waste ur money on a 64gb ssd drive. if you are going to get an ssd drive, it should be at least double that. there's a lot of software that you may install that won't let you choose initially where to install it to and a lot of software that installs components to the system drive even if you choose to install it elsewhere. you don't want your system drive to be 50% full after just installing the operating system and a few utilities.
I've got a 64gb ssd for my DAW computer. Installed all the programs I need and I still have about 40% free space. And I have quite a lot software but I installed only the programs to my ssd and all the other content to my other HDD's. Oh, and there's the price... 128GB ssd is double the price of 64GB. Of course if you have the money then get it. But just for boosting up program startup times 250 euro is a bit much IMO.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

joewalch

Post by joewalch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:51 am

I had a quick look into SSDs. It seems the bottleneck is often the SATA interface. Apparently your better of with a pcie hard drive like the one from ocz.