my story about NI denying any help with my Maschine licence

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ansiaaa

my story about NI denying any help with my Maschine licence

Post by ansiaaa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:24 pm

since there is quite a bit of talking about Maschine lately, I guessed it was right to write my experience here as well.

it's a bit of a rant and a bit of an advice about all your NI licences. if you want to skip the story and the rant, you can find the advice at the end.

(this is more or less a copy/paste of a message I sent to the NI forum as well, I took some swear words out because that's just not me and I was furious when I first wrote it)

I bought Maschine 1 year ago, from a store not far from where I live. last week I decided to sell it because I found that I use Live more and more (I just upgraded to Suite as well).
I've always loved Maschine, but I just found myself using it less and less every day.

so I sold it, and sent it to the new owner. in the mean time I contacted NI for the licence transfer procedure...
I couldn't believe my eyes when I got the answer. "we can't transfer your licence because it's an EDU version".

I've been writing the NI support all morning, and the answer was always "we can't do anything, ask the store".
wow, talk about support to a customer!

naturally I've alredy messaged the guy who bought it from me and I'll give him back his money, hoping that he will be honest enough not to keep the money and didn't send me back the package...

what baffles and really makes me angry me is this: where the heck was written that that was an EDU version?
it's not written on the box, it's not written on the CD, it's not being specified when I install the software, it's not being specified inside the software, there is no mention at all on the page of the NI website where my products are registered.

what I want to know how the heck could I know that I was using an EDU version then?

I bet the store didn't even do it on purpouse. how could they tell an EDU box from a normal one?

and NI customer support has the courage to tell me it's not their fault. wow.

well everybody sorry for this post if you didn't care about my problems, sorry if I lost my temper in the end.

but since this happened to me, I wonder how many others have an EDU licence without even knowing...

one last thing, I also bought Traktor S4.
after this thing I'm going to sell it as well (let's hope no other ghost EDU licences come out!), and I was going to purchase other products (Massive was in my mind lately, Komplete as well), but no more. NI can say goodbye to my money forever.
I know they won't care about this single customer. and THAT'S exactly why I'm not supporting that company anymore.

again sorry to the fellow forum users for this rant, but really...if you have any of their products, contact NI and check your licences.

--------
EDIT:

for the sake of thruth, since I'm not here to bash anyone without a reason, they told me that on the EDU version there should be a sticker that states that's and EDU.
(mind that mine didn't have it)
the forum MOD also told me that it happened before with some sellers on ebay, who take off the stickers from the boxes.
--------
Last edited by ansiaaa on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EpikureeR

Re: my story about NI denying any help with my Maschine licence

Post by EpikureeR » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:45 pm

this is completely normal, because its an edu version.
its with every piece of software bought under EDU licenses!

ansiaaa

Post by ansiaaa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:50 pm

EpikureeR wrote:this is completely normal, because its an edu version.
its with every piece of software bought under EDU licenses!
I didnt mention this: I bought it for a FULL PRICE as a NORMAL version. (sorry I've been repeating that to the NI customer support all day, and I guess my brain was tired to say it again :P)

I'm not even entitled and I wouldn't be able at all to buy an EDU version.

NEVER AND NOWHERE it was stated that it was an EDU version: nowhere on the box, nor on the CD, nor during the installation, nor during or after the registration, nor on the installed software.

now tell me. since I bought it at full price as a normal version, how could I know it was an EDU? and how could the store know the box was an EDU since everything it's exactly the same from a normal version?

the only way I had to find out was this... when I tried to sell it. a bit too late? don't you think?

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:01 pm

I can understand your anger, but I guess the store where you bought it messed up. EDU should be less expensive and I think there should be also a note on your bill. btw. you can't just buy an EDU version, you have to show a proof that you are qualified for that.

Not too sure that this is NIs fault. even tough a small notice would be nice, I agree.

ps: Maybe it's possible to sell it to another person who is qualified for an EDU version.
Last edited by mr.ergonomics on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EpikureeR

Post by EpikureeR » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:02 pm

then sue the store
I hope you still got the receit, as someone asked in the NI forum

ansiaaa

Post by ansiaaa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:16 pm

mr.ergonomics wrote:I can understand your anger, but I guess the store where you bought it messed up. EDU should be less expensive and I think there should be also a note on your bill. btw. you can't just buy an EDU version, you have to show a proof that you are qualified for that.
I know! that's the point. I know that I can't buy one... and what I bought was payed and bought as a normal licence...
mr.ergonomics wrote: Not too sure that this is NIs fault. even tough a small notice would be nice, I agree.
ps: Maybe it's possible to sell it to another person who is qualified for an EDU version.
nah you can't sell it at all.
EpikureeR wrote:then sue the store
I hope you still got the receit, as someone asked in the NI forum
I still ahve the receipt (well I will have it when the other guy will send back the box...) and I will go to the store to complain about.
but realistically... it's been 1 year since I bought it.

thanks for your advices anyway, I apprecciate that, and actually I'll be sure to go to the store and complain untill they will do something about it. I dont even know what they could do tho? give me another box? and what about the one I've already registered since it canno't be blocked in anyway as NI told me?
and what if they screw up again and they give me another EDU version?

my real problem is that. HOW CAN I TELL if I buy a normal version? how can ANYBODY know?

anyway, rant apart, that's what I wanted everybody to know. as it happened to me, I guess it could happen to anybody, and one will know only when it's too late since NI won't be help at all.

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:26 pm

NI should sue you for swindling an EDU version out of them when you (admittedly!!) weren't even eligible, then trying to sell that which you aren't allowed!!!

naw man, just kidding. That sucks :( If Customer Support cannot help you with your problem, maybe you can reach them better through twitter, faccebook or if you're the more traditional type, through their PR dept.

ansiaaa

Post by ansiaaa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:44 pm

wayfinder wrote:NI should sue you for swindling an EDU version out of them when you (admittedly!!) weren't even eligible, then trying to sell that which you aren't allowed!!!

naw man, just kidding. That sucks :( If Customer Support cannot help you with your problem, maybe you can reach them better through twitter, faccebook or if you're the more traditional type, through their PR dept.
actually after writing on the forum, someone from NI answered and asked me for the informations of the store since they said they take this things seriously.

as I've already said there... that's the kind of support I was expecting from NI. I'm glad someone answered at the end, even if that won't solve my problem, but at least I hope they'll do something about this fraud...

but why did I have to write on the forum to get that kind of response from them? I always try the official way, and I hate to have to rant of forums really. but I guess the world works only if you get mad and start making things public...

for the sake of thruth, since I'm not here to bash anyway without a reason, they told me that on the EDU version there should be a sticker that states that's and EDU.
(mind that mine didn't have it)
the forum MOD also told me that it happened before with some sellers on ebay, who take off the stickers from the boxes.

lol and anyway that sounds ridiculous... a sticker? which anybody could (and DID) peel of?

that's the way to go NI ;)

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:49 pm

You should have taken your receipt to the store and ask them to rectifiy their mistake by giving you a non-edu liscence key. If the receipt proves that that's what you paid for, it should be no problem right?
I don't see how this is in NI support's fault or problem.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:58 pm

You got screwed by the store. They sold you an EDU copy and pocketed the difference. Down here, we settle these matters quickly with German made handguns. 8O
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

ansiaaa

Post by ansiaaa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:59 pm

snakedogman wrote:You should have taken your receipt to the store and ask them to rectifiy their mistake by giving you a non-edu liscence key. If the receipt proves that that's what you paid for, it should be no problem right?
I don't see how this is in any way NI support's fault or problem. The only thing you can blame NI of is not stating the edu licence anywhere on the packaging.
how could I take it to the store? I've already sent it to the guy.

but sure, I'm now waiting to get it back and go to the store anyway as I've already said.
and finally, as I've jsut wrote, they are gonna do something about, but ONLY AFTER I've wrote it on the forum! is that the right way to deal this things? why did I need to go to the forum to get their support? I guess their official customer support was there for it. and I even told them I could give them the name of the store and the receipt if they needed to do something about that!

anyway I still think it is NI fault as well.
when I buy Maschine I can't tell if the store is ripping me off, and even AFTER I've bought it I've nowhere to check (as I said, even after you register the product, you can't see anyway that's an EDU versiont), because it works EXACTLY like a normal one.

the problem only comes out when you try to sell it and they tell you that you can't.

as I said I wanted my experience being of some use to other people. because, again, you have no way to tell if you are buying a legittimate licence or an EDU.

I've edited my first msg with something new I got to know from the MOD of their forum anyway, because I don't want to appear as the "angry guy who hates NI". I just think that customers deserve some better treatment from who makes the products they buy
Anubis wrote:You got screwed by the store. They sold you an EDU copy and pocketed the difference. Down here, we settle these matters quickly with German made handguns. 8O
lol do those german guns come with an EDU licence as well as my german NI Maschine? :D

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:08 pm

is it a reputable store??? sounds like the store knowingly sold you an EDU license for full license price thinking that you would never sell it.
take the receipt to the store along with the responses from NI. and if they don't rectify the situation, then tell NI what store it was and urge them to pull their products of the shelf of this store. take away the ability for this store to sell anything NI.
you lose, they lose!!!

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:27 pm

McQ714 wrote:is it a reputable store???
probably not cuz the same store tried to sell me some wanna be JBL PA speakers also.. I told them i wasn't interested and was just getting gas.. so they shut the sliding van door and drove off..

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:49 pm

ansiaaa wrote:
Anubis wrote:You got screwed by the store. They sold you an EDU copy and pocketed the difference. Down here, we settle these matters quickly with German made handguns. 8O
lol do those german guns come with an EDU licence as well as my german NI Maschine? :D
Yes! Kids even take them to school on occasion. 8O
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

Joghurt

Post by Joghurt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:58 pm

If you buy a ROLEX from a store and pay the full price, and then find out that it is a 10 € fake, do you blame ROLEX that they didn't mark it? With NI, you definitely blame the wrong guys!