user/library/caches/ableton/cache/decoding CAN I DELETE THIS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kev herb

user/library/caches/ableton/cache/decoding CAN I DELETE THIS

Post by kev herb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:09 pm

im having the mother of all HDD clearouts and this has over 3GB in it so can i delete it without damaging projects?

when saving projects i collect all and save to my ableton projects folder i set up.
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

[nis]

Re: user/library/caches/ableton/cache/decoding CAN I DELETE THIS

Post by [nis] » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Yes, you can delete the contents of that folder. Alternatively you can click the 'cleanup' button for the decoding cache in Live's 'file folder' preferences pane.

Note: If you open a Live set containing mp3 files (or any other compressed media files), then Live will decode the files again. You might consider to limit the size of the decoding cache in case you don't have much disk space.

Best,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:17 pm

Thanks nico!
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

DeMarzo

Post by DeMarzo » Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 am

Im very surprised an ableton rep advised this was safe to do. I have done this and i lost tonnes of project settings and essentially setting me back weeks on my album. waiting for support to help me now. :(

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed May 16, 2018 10:40 am

If you manage your project correctly, emptying this folder isn't a risk.
You might want to take a look at the options provided by "collect all and save", and the project manager.
Ableton Forum Moderator

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Thu May 17, 2018 4:42 pm

DeMarzo wrote:Im very surprised an ableton rep advised this was safe to do. I have done this and i lost tonnes of project settings and essentially setting me back weeks on my album. waiting for support to help me now. :(
Assuming you're this guy - https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... ave_space/

I wonder what glitches you were having that needed fixing? Or was it mostly a space issue and you read in an article that deleting caches may help fix problems (that you may not even have) and figured it couldn't hurt?

I question why you would empty the trash before opening a single project to see if anything was different? Pretty bold move.. It seems you got rid of your safety net prematurely..

Were you having any actual problems producing before this? Due to space limitations, or glitches? Personally unless I was unable to work on music, I wouldn't change a single thing until my album was done. No sense in adding problems when things are working fine.

Collect All and Save is generally the solution to keeping projects in one place and easy to transfer and manage, backup, etc..