Jealous about FL

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Farley

Jealous about FL

Post by Farley » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Did you see version 10 of FL studio?
Pitch correction, all those note manipulation enhancements ... ... Makes me sad. :cry:
Any news about Ableton 9? Is it in development? And what's are the plans?
Evolved into "noctucat".
https://www.noctucat.com

H20nly

Re: Jealous about FL

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:01 pm

LOL... i've had free updates to FL Studio since version 5. I got the email today and i thought about posting it here... but thought it was kinda mean to rub it in the face of so many who consider Fruity Loops a lesser app that it now has features they've been begging for.

:twisted: fuck em!

read it and weep...

FL Studio 10 is here!

Download the installer here . Don't forget to install a new FLRegkey.Reg file if you have Lifetime Free Updates.

FL Studio 10 Notable Changes

FL Studio 10 incorporates a number of enhancements and new features based on ongoing development and customer input, including:
-
64 Bit plugin wrapper - FL Studio now hosts 64 Bit VST plugins for access to unlimited memory.
-
Revised Mixer - Wide Mixer tracks. Fully Automatic Plugin Delay Compensation (A-PDC). Waveform meter view.
-
Autosave / Autobackup - Don't lose a project or data again.
-
Revised Playlist - Individually resizable tracks. Lock tracks to Clips. Live performance time Marker options (Jump to, Loop, Pause & Skip)
-
Revised Piano roll - Export as sheet music option. Vertical zoom with not properties view. Magic lasso selection & note-handle stretch. Edit ghost notes by double Right-click. Waveform view.
-
Pattern Picker - opens from the Playlist, Piano roll or Stepsequencer. Select Patterns & Channels.
-
Patcher (free) - create complex instrument & effects chains ready for quick recall in new projects.
-
ZGameEditor Visualizer (free) - visualization effect with movie render capability.
-
Pitcher (demo) - real-time correction/harmonization plugin responds to Piano roll note control.
-
Newtone (demo) - pitch correction editor for precise control, pristine quality stretching, re-pitching and correction.
-
Keep on disk & 32 Bit Bridge - now gives each Audio Clip / Sampler Channel / Plugin access to at least 2 GB memory and up to 4 for VST Plugins.
-
Fruity Edition - now gains access to Playlist Pattern Clips.
-
Lifetime Free Updates - have been extended to all FL Studio 10 box purchases onward.
There might be one or two I forgot to highlight... my bad.

Farley

Post by Farley » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:47 am

No, really. It makes me sad. I love that company. I've got even Ableton hat. :cry:
If they fix Live 8 for another year, they're gonna disappear form the market.
Please Ableton. Any hints? :-)
Evolved into "noctucat".

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:12 am

Farley wrote:No, really. It makes me sad. I love that company. I've got even Ableton hat. :cry:

If Image Line can continue to function by giving free life time updates, but Ableton charges money for theirs, how do you figure that Ableton will disappear from the market even though they haven't charged for an update in two years???
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

ryanisflyboy

Post by ryanisflyboy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:53 am

kb420 wrote:If Image Line can continue to function by giving free life time updates, but Ableton charges money for theirs, how do you figure that Ableton will disappear from the market even though they haven't charged for an update in two years???

The two companies have a different business plan and model. Image Line (first release 1997) is selling a platform, then upsells on the add-ons. They really are a plugin developer, but recently the platform has been getting amazingly good. Ableton (first release 2001?) is selling a suite as packaged software. There isn't much upsell. Image Line has regular income streaming in as they release new plugins that are integrated with the platform. Ableton makes large multi-year investments and sees big "waves" of income as new software is release.

How a software company is doing can be proven by following change histories. Compare Image Line's FL Studio change history with Ableton's Live change history. It takes money to pay those software engineers.

http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/history.php
http://www.ableton.com/latest-release-notes (where is the archive of the release notes?)

Don't get too wrapped up in the number of items, but in the innovation or "lift" each change provides and how frequently that happens. Think in terms of evolution of sound, not just bug squashing. The reality is that both Image Line and Ableton produce great software, and both have weaknesses. I paid, use, and like both. For those that have never tried it, I highly recommend it. I've been able to see how the two products complement each other in unique ways. If you give it a shot, you might like it as well.

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:10 am

Farley wrote:Did you see version 10 of FL studio?
Pitch correction, all those note manipulation enhancements ... ... Makes me sad. :cry:
Any news about Ableton 9? Is it in development? And what's are the plans?
FL studio works wonderful as a VSTI in Ableton Live..

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:08 am

I wish I liked FL's workflow - there are a lot of quality tools in it, but I just hate having to use FL to get to them. :/

Farley

Post by Farley » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:44 am

agent314 wrote:I wish I liked FL's workflow - there are a lot of quality tools in it, but I just hate having to use FL to get to them. :/
+1 I used FL years ago, but choosed Live as my own DAW. Killer workflow. But now I don't know... :-/
Evolved into "noctucat".

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 am

The grass is always greener on the other side.....

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:11 am

Rabalder wrote:The grass is always greener on the other side.....

yes and there are also greener LFO´s , great step seqs cooler piano rolls and advanced midi tools...
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jtdj

Post by jtdj » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:47 am

Trying recording a full band in Fruity Loops and see how you get on.

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:50 am

Just imagine how much that 'retro Live hat' will be worth on Ebay!

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:33 pm

recording ?

you mean like guitars and acustic drums ?

thats so 60´s man...

midi,synths,programming... mmm much better... we are in 2011 right ?

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:36 pm

FL doesnt work under mac, am I right ?

headquest

Post by headquest » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:59 pm

kb420 wrote:
Farley wrote:No, really. It makes me sad. I love that company. I've got even Ableton hat. :cry:

If Image Line can continue to function by giving free life time updates, but Ableton charges money for theirs, how do you figure that Ableton will disappear from the market even though they haven't charged for an update in two years???
As well as what ryanisflyboy said, Image Line are a very small handful of expert developers based in Belgium. Ableton have more than 100 employees with offices in Berlin and New York. So my guess is that the "small is beautiful" ethos works well for IL, but that Ableton have considerably higher overheads...
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud