Everyone else is 64 bit

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kryz

Re: Everyone else is 64 bit

Post by kryz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:15 pm

I have not given up hoping for a 64 bit update of live 8. Please make it happen soon!

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:40 pm

anybody human wrote:
Pasha wrote:Maybe people also refer to huge Live Sets with RAM Based Clips. In that case the RAM bottleneck (son of an HDD bottleneck) is sure there. For my usage I have never found a RAM issue in my 32bit 4GB iMac SL 1.6.4 environment even using EIC Grand Piano that is 5GB of samples and cannot be loaded in RAM. EIC and Sampler/Simpler make good use of the smartprime option Ableton introduced once ago. Although I use many audio tracks (HDD streaming based) plus EIC Grand and Session Drums and Latin Percussions I have never came across RAM problems. I have to admit that some glitches here and there happen but nothing big given that I do not perform live. Notebooks have 5400RPM drives and can become bottleneck very soon if you do not have a SSD (expensive) so RAM is the cheaper alternative... but it will be always limited by hardware. Theory is Theory and real life is how vendors built memory channels in their motherboards...

Just my two cents

- Pasha
So, a solid state hard drive is better than having more RAM?
I would not say better than RAM but I would say better than an Hard Drive and close to RAM. The Read speeds are overwhelming. With the new introduced Thunderbolt interface and a RAID SSD Drive (Lacie has it) you can expect incredible speeds for external devices as well. People use RAM because is the cheapest option for fast access to data. You can have internal SSD for both PC and MAC today. External SSD are slowed down by interfaces like USB2 or USB3 while Thunderbolt promises are faster and faster. Once you can access all your data let's say 5 time faster than an HDD running at 5400 or 7200 RPM and with no latency due to no mechanical parts... SSD is expensive. That's the only downside. $$$ increase with drive capacity.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:45 pm

Right on. I just ordered a new MBP 7200 RPM Quad core 8gb RAM. Probably should have gotten a SSD.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:24 pm

anybody human wrote:Right on. I just ordered a new MBP 7200 RPM Quad core 8gb RAM. Probably should have gotten a SSD.
Do not worry a 7200 RPM SATA delivers!
SSD Write Cycles are a finite number (think about Camera Flash Cards)
and multi-write speeds are not the best plate as a googling will confirm.
SSD give their best when used to boot operative systems and when you have an
almost read-only set of data to read. When producing (many writes many cancellations many edits) a SATA-HDD give its best for $/GB/Speed although an SDD might feel snappier (but mind the write cycles). It's a trade-off as it is with all things.
IMHO Your MPB will satisfy you a lot especially with a 7200 RPM HDD and 8GB RAM with Snow Leopard at 64bit. Live will not take immediate advantage of your RAM but your OS will certainly cache your writes/read and that will improve performances. Good choice.
You can always add THIS later --> http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10549 having a Thunderbolt port!

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers