music theory advice needed please, dissonant notes

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
The Leveller

Re: music theory advice needed please, dissonant notes

Post by The Leveller » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:06 pm

The sample must not be as correctly tuned as you think, a semi-tone from Bb to B would be fairly obviously dissonant.

edit: by dissonant I mean theoretically, if it works in the context then it works.

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Dissonance sounds great, but then again I listen to industrial music :wink:

In theory there are plenty of keys that feature notes that when played together sound dissonant but work musically...if you've got a pad or something on top playing the right chord it could glue the dissonant sounds together in a musical way. Your best bet is to get one of the proper theory-heads on the board to explain it - I don't have the grip on terminology to be able to explain it well....

Short answer: dissonance can be just as right as any other combination of notes. :)
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:32 pm

I believe A# phrygian (3rd mode) would contain a natural B, and is related to the natural minor. It's common in middle eastern and flamenco.

My theory is kinda weak, I could be wrong - Comes from starting as a drummer, and only learning rhythm notation at an early age.
Have I invented a new scale?
I think the Ancient Greeks beat ya to it...
No...I am 3phase!

Moody

Post by Moody » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Your just playing Jazz :D Your adding a 9th to the chord.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:18 am

Its just theory... If it sounds good its all that matters...

jeffplaysmoog

Post by jeffplaysmoog » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:46 am

Yeah, well certainly this note would be dissonant, this can not be argued. However, dissonance is good, yes? Or at least it can be pleasing in certain context. Anyway, just a bit of nit picking... are you sure you want to say A# minor? Certainly if this is the mood you desire, I shall not talk you out of it since it is perfectly acceptable, but you would save a lot of headaches (theory wise) if you were to use Bb minor instead (enharmonically they are the same - basically just a different harmonic spelling of the scale - A# minor could result in double sharps).

Razorblade is right. The Phrygian mode would include a lowered 2nd scale degree (if we are going to say A# minor this would be the B natural) and the rest would/could follow the A# natural minor scale. You could also call this the 9th (if you are building chords with that A# as the root) but it would be a b9 (since the 9th in the case would be B#).

I would certainly take a look at the sample to make sure things are in the keys you suggest, but basically Dragonbreath hits the nail on the head: if it sounds good, go for it. But, as far as the theory is concerned, the note is dissonant (theory wise this is the case more often than not) but should fit well with the mode if that is what you are going for. You would probably want to avoid playing the notes together in the same octave...
Mac Book Pro 2.33ghz, 2gig Ram, OS 10.5, Ableton Live 8 Suite, APC40