Maschine won't respond to Ableton Live Template as a control

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rickdorr

Maschine won't respond to Ableton Live Template as a control

Post by rickdorr » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:28 pm

I followed these instructions, along with several phone calls with tech support @ Native Instruments regarding why my Maschine controller is enabled in the controll surface preference menu(i.e inputs, outputs, tracks and remotes are all enabled.) Tech support couldn't troubleshoot the problem and told me to refer to the NI and Ableton forums for an answer. Again the ableton template is engaged in my machine controller and also recognized in ableton but does not communicate midi. Been up and down the reference manual and you tube trying to figure this one out. Below is the directions I followed from the NI knowledge base.

In order to use the MASCHINE Controller for controlling Ableton Live, you need to copy a folder from the Template Support Files folder inside the "CONTROLLER EDITOR" application folder into the application folder of Ableton Live.

The target folder is located inside the Ableton Live application bundle. Right click on the “Live.app” file and choose “Show Package Contents”.
If you are using Ableton Live 7, copy the folder “MASCHINE Controller” from the location Macintosh HD/Applications/Controller Editor/Template Support Files/Ableton Live 7" to the folder inside the "Live.app" file: Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts
If you are using Ableton Live 8, copy the folder “MASCHINE Controller” from the location "Macintosh HD/Applications/Controller Editor/Template Support Files/Ableton Live 8" to the folder inside the "Live.app" file: "Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts

In order to get to the "Contents" folder inside the "Live.app" (works the same for Live 7 or Live 8), you need to do the following:

Select the "Live.app", right-click on it, then choose "show package contents" and find the "Contents" folder in the upcoming Finder window

Additional requirements:

How to activate MIDI Script in Ableton Live
From the Options menu within Live, select the "Preferences" entry
Within the Preferences dialog, click the MIDI / Sync tab to access the MIDI controller settings
From the Control Surface menu, select the MASCHINE Controller entry
From the Input menu, select the MASCHINE Controller entry
From the Output menu, select the MASCHINE Controller entry[/size][/size][/quote]

toxictobi

Re: Maschine won't respond to Ableton Live Template as a control

Post by toxictobi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:57 pm

had a problem like this too...
You have to know you have to install 2 drivers.
One Maschine-Controller-driver(or so) and the other is an Maschine-Audio-driver.
If using Maschineonly standalone there will be no problem with only the Controller-driver installed,
but if you want to control live via the Controller the other driver has to be installed too.
best way is to contact NI support(this is what I did) or to ask at the NI-Forums...
good luck

djshiva

Post by djshiva » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:14 am

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm about to tear my hair out over this one. I am having the same problem, except THERE IS NO Maschine_controller folder where it is supposed to be. There is a folder called "Maschine" and that's it. I have moved it to the place where it's supposed to go, done everything else, and still...

...nothing.

I am wondering if this is because I am using 1.8 and something has changed? I have no idea.

This is quite maddening.
http://www.soundcloud.com/djshiva
http://www.facebook.com/djshivamusic
http://sapphicbeats.blogspot.com

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo / OSX / 2Gb RAM / Ableton Live 8 / Akai LPD8/LPK25

ozah

Post by ozah » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:16 pm

I have the exact same problem, Live is not responding even though the maschine controller is set.
Please help!!!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:35 pm

To make things more confusing, there are like, two or three versions due to updates over the years.

First step is to start with the very latest version of the Controller Editor. Have the latest version of Live.

I'm trying to remember of there is documentation for setting up the most recent version.

When you have the latest Controller Editor, create a brand new Ableton template from the template presets. This ensures that you'll be using what is meant for the latest script.

After that, depending on if you are on Mac or PC, you'll have to do some folder digging into different locations.

For Sure there is a PDF for the latest template somewhere. Maybe search in the controller editor folder for "Ableton pdf" or something. Opening that should clue you in.

When you DO find the folder in Ableton's directories that you drag the script into, make sure you remove ANY Maschine folders that already exist. This makes sure you don't accidentally choose the wrong one. If there is Only the new one, it will be harder to screw up.

I hope with those tips, you'll be able to figure the rest out with some persistence :)

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:39 pm

goodluck! maschine+ableton=headaches :| ....i had the same issues and then some. it got to the point, where i don't even use maschine any more. (which is a shame, cuz the pads are really nice.) i bought an mpd32....and i have never looked back.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

lethal_pizzle

Post by lethal_pizzle » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Follow the latest instructions in the NI Knowledgebase with the latest version of the template, which worked for me with no problems.

tintala

Post by tintala » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:53 am

I concur , Maschine is a fucking headache with Live..... I don't use it any more either, collecting dust, will sell on Ebay and buy push, fuckit. Push looks much more dynamic and useful.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 am

Running fine here also, no problems whatsoever. In the past i had some problems with Maschine when it stopped sending midi signals randomly, seems to be fixed now since the latest Maschine and Controller Editor updates.

With this latest update you have to change the input and output to "Maschine virtual input" and "Maschine virtual output". Otherwise it won't work. Also, check if you have the CORRECT midi remote script in your Ableton remote script folder.

It should work then! (unless it's the Live 9 beta, where it doesn't work).

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:20 am

33tetragammon wrote:Running fine here also, no problems whatsoever. In the past i had some problems with Maschine when it stopped sending midi signals randomly, seems to be fixed now since the latest Maschine and Controller Editor updates.

With this latest update you have to change the input and output to "Maschine virtual input" and "Maschine virtual output". Otherwise it won't work. Also, check if you have the CORRECT midi remote script in your Ableton remote script folder.

It should work then! (unless it's the Live 9 beta, where it doesn't work).
like i said....headaches :| if you can get it to work right, awesome. i just think it is nuts to have to do all of this stuff, just to make a midi controller work like a midi controller in another DAW. as much as it was a pain to use in ableton, it was twice as bad in logic.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:01 am

:roll:

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:32 am

eddiex wrote:maschine+ableton=headaches
Nonsense. The MIDI connection issue mentioned here has already been fixed as already mentioned above.
eddiex wrote:i bought an mpd32....and i have never looked back.
If a MPD and Ableton had a dedicated hardware setup with Maschine's level of integration then there would be no need for Maschine. Using Live and a MPD doesn't come anywhere close to those aspects of Maschine, even with custom scripts, as it will lack the total integration like Maschine which allows you to be mouse-free and even lets you turn off the computer screen if you want to. Part of the beauty and workflow feel of Maschine is the disconnected feel it allows for. It gives you that focused feel by allowing to work so well from a centralized point with minimal deviation. In contrast, Live + MPD (or even APC40/Launchpad) will still force you to click around with the mouse/trackpad quite a bit.
tintala wrote:Push looks much more dynamic and useful.
Live + Push will be no match for Maschine when it comes to a mouseless hands-on workflow. Push doesn't even compare to Maschine in that department at all because you can't even slice from the Push controller, you can't see waveforms or slices on the Push's LCD, you can't duplicate pads from the Push controller...etc. Not to mention that Push also doesn't even automap to plugins and can't do step automation (Elektron-style step parameter locks), and would still force you to click around with a mouse for a lot of little things like opening/closing plugin windows.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:39 am

i don't really care enough to do any kind of big debate about it....in all honesty i shouldn't have used humnumb's post to prove what i was saying about maschine to begin with. that was my bad, im sorry. not trying to be THAT dude, i wasn't trying to scrap.

im just saying, my experience is that maschine IS AWESOME by its self, but when you start involving other DAWS, it gets complicated.
you know how many steps it takes for me to use my MPD with ableton or any DAW for that matter? 1....i plug it into my usb port and im ready to rock!

maschine....i had to grab the remote script file from controller editor (another software you have to put on your computer to use maschine)(not to mention service center) you have to drag the remote script folder to your ableton script folder. now, since the first script sucked so bad, i have to drag the old script out and drag the new script in and make sure i have the right one in there. all that just to make it turn on. not even mentioning the issues where it would turn off and on at random. doesn't sound that "intuitive" to me :wink:

as far as the mouse less pitch. its like, who gives a crap really. if i wanted mouse less operation so bad, why not just buy a hardware drum machine? (even a hardware drum machine is easier to use with ableton than maschine is.) at least i wouldn't have to drag scripts all over the place.

as far as integration now, i was so pissed at spending all that money, and having to go through all of that, and it still didn't work for me (pre 1.8 update) that i said F-maschine. i was so mad about it, before i bought my mpd32, i broke my mpd18 out and used that instead of maschine.
but as i said before, if it works for you, more power to you.

continuous

Post by continuous » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:02 am

Midi Control mode has been extremely unreliable for me - still is even after the recent updates. Luckily, Maschine has been rock solid in terms of it running as a plug in Ableton and standalone. I'd be livid if I had bought it to control Ableton though.

NI really needs to tighten up their game on this if they are using it as a selling point. The new template, for example, has no documentation. Parts of it don't work on my MKI and I can't tell if it's by design and is only meant to work on the MKII or if I just don't know how to use the script.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:11 am

my goal in commenting on "maschine" posts, is to make sure people realize that maschine isn't and hasn't been all peaches and cream, and that they are not going to be able to just plug it in and it will work seamlessly with ableton. there have been issues (that even the pro-maschine people on this thread have admitted) and the set up is by no means, plug and play. i wish someone had of told me that, before i wasted $600.00 on mine. i really wanted it to work awesome, it just didn't, not even close.
i know other people have said they have returned theirs, but i was unlucky...the g.center i got mine from wouldn't take it back, because it was considered "software"..... they said "nope" :x