check out MidiMe, my new iPad midi controller app

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kooperativ

Re: check out MidMe, my new iPad midi controller app

Post by kooperativ » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:51 pm

@Loopstationzebra: as far as i know it's not possible for apps like ours to really keep running in the background. There is only a couple things allowed when minimized: most importantly audio & finishing downloads. It's not possible however to keep the threadloop running to send / receive messages via OSC / network. Not quite sure if its different with coreMidi though!

very nice app @kuniklo - i'll have to second Loopstation here: brilliant recording implementation!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:51 pm

kooperativ wrote:@Loopstationzebra: as far as i know it's not possible for apps like ours to really keep running in the background. There is only a couple things allowed when minimized: most importantly audio & finishing downloads. It's not possible however to keep the threadloop running to send / receive messages via OSC / network. Not quite sure if its different with coreMidi though!

very nice app @kuniklo - i'll have to second Loopstation here: brilliant recording implementation!

Yeah, CoreMIDI totally allows processes other than audio to run in the background. The guy at Finger was the first to do this with his MoDrum and BassLine apps. They do MIDI sync via CoreMIDI (iPad to Ableton, iPad to iPhone, Ableton to iPad and iPhone, lol) and keep on playing and staying in sync if you switch apps or turn the screen off.

In fact, I just tested this out on MoDrum. Started Live, with MoDrum as a slave at 120bpm. I switched apps to check my email while MoDrum stayed playing in the background. Then I went to my MacBook and increased the bpm in Live up to 200. MoDrum - minimized in the background while iPad email is open, responded perfectly. :twisted:

I'm urging all music app devs to allow this feature when using CoreMIDI. :x :P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:16 pm

You should have called it MidiMe. :D
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:32 pm

Anubis wrote:You should have called it MidiMe.
It is actually called MidiMe, I just mistyped it. I blame all those raves in San Francisco in '92. :)

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:36 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote: It's CRITICAL that you allow this app to keep running in the background no matter what...
I can see why this would be useful, for sure. I'll look into this.
Multiple dots per window...that's important as well. Why limit to just one? Multitouch baby!

More pages would be great. Why not 4 more pads? 8 more pads? It's not like you're limited in terms of physical space like you would have with hardware! lol. The problem is that I'm only controlling 8 CCs with the app. :x
Interesting idea. I think this might potentially be a little confusing but I'll think about this too.

More pages are likely. I'm tempted to add keys and/or drumpads so that would make multiple pages a natural thing.
One last thing....You gotta give me another method to select the channel and CCs. Those sliders are horrid and way too sensitive. You stop on 81, lift your finger, and the thing scoots over to 82. :x
Yeah the current interface is no good for that, I agree. The next version will have a much better CC selection interface.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it!

LoopStationZebra

Re: check out MidiMe, my new iPad midi controller app

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:10 am

Cool. 8)

Regarding multiple dots. You could just color code them in order to keep track. I'd say 4 max per pad, but it's not out of the question to have more. :P

Better yet, let the user choose how many: 1 thru 8, lol. :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

kuniklo

Re: check out MidiMe, my new iPad midi controller app

Post by kuniklo » Sun May 01, 2011 4:59 am

Version 1.1 of MidiMe is out now. This update adds support for preset save & recall and is also now a universal app, so you can take MidiMe with you in your pocket anywhere.

More information here:
http://bit.ly/eKkozg