New macbook pro destroys my previous Core2duo...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

New macbook pro destroys my previous Core2duo...

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:44 pm

So I just got my new 2.2 Ghz quadcore i7 15" macbook pro. I loaded up the live performance test right away after transferring all my licenses. Although the percentage reading that you get from that set is a decent enough indicator of performance, I find a more useful one is to keep duplicating the tracks until you hit the stutter limit.

On my previous machine (2.8 Ghz c2d macbook pro) at 512 sample buffer, I'd get around 48% on the 8 track performance test, my new one not even half that percentage. But if I would duplicate the tracks on my old machine, I'd max out at 17 tracks in the performance test. This was probably around 75% cpu. Well I just tried the same thing and I couldn't believe how many duplicated tracks I could pile on. It eventually started to glitch out on the 65th track. 64 played smoothly. This sat at about 85% cpu on the Live meter. Now you wouldn't want to keep that going long, as the fans were going nuts and it was starting to get pretty hot, but the interesting thing is that it was smooth sailing up to then, so the power did ramp up nicely.

What I didn't realize was that the system actually sees each core as 2 cores. So in the activity monitor you actually see 8 cores on the meter, same in Logic there are 8 bars.

I was expecting to double my performance, didn't realize it had this much more power...

However the beast does get quite hot. In fact it's fairly warm at all times, even when not stressed, but when you do start to push it a little, she really heats up...

:mrgreen:
Last edited by glitchrock-buddha on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professional Shark Jumper.

pepezabala

Re: New macbook pro destroys my previous Core2duo...

Post by pepezabala » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:48 pm

which one do you have? the i7 2,2 GHz?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:11 pm

pepezabala wrote:which one do you have? the i7 2,2 GHz?
Yes, that's right. I'll add that it's the i7...

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:47 pm

same here. went from 5 yr old 2.16 c2d to the 2.2 i7. pretty impressed.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Last edited by bosonHavoc on Tue May 31, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:59 pm

an i5 test would be nice.. the bleeding edge of technology is with laptops usualy a heating edge
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Great news.

Interesting to see if you can maintain a level of performance that facilitates your work, while simultaneously keeping the fan noise at an acceptable level.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:14 pm

3phase wrote:an i5 test would be nice.. the bleeding edge of technology is with laptops usualy a heating edge
True. I'm still hoping a firmware update might cool it off a little. I remember I used to run coolbook before upgrading to snow leopard (because of the performance gains running it at higher cpu and lower voltage). Then snow leopard took care of things and I didn't need coolbook. Hopefully upgrades to the OS will get the most out of the unit without generating too much. maybe??

On another note, I'm happy to have returned to the anti-glare display. The high-res option also lets me fit more on the screen which is sweet. Plug-ins end up looking sharper too.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:16 pm

oblique strategies wrote:Great news.

Interesting to see if you can maintain a level of performance that facilitates your work, while simultaneously keeping the fan noise at an acceptable level.
Yeah, I could see it being an issue if you want to record some vocals or acoustic instrument near your laptop and you're running a fairly heavy set. But I won't be bothered much by the fans I don't think as I don't do much microphone recording anyways.

ovorigin

Post by ovorigin » Tue May 31, 2011 4:02 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
However the beast does get quite hot. In fact it's fairly warm at all times, even when not stressed, but when you do start to push it a little, she really heats up...

:mrgreen:
they sure do from the reading Ive been doing, Just go into a mac store with them running just the screen saver and they are warm. Like all laptops, they run hotter and noisier as they age, Imagine how hot they are going to idle at in about a year and a half?

I already own one of their hair dryers, not keen on giving them $2500 + for another that wont be useable for mic recording.

yet Im becoming desperate for a new machine!

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Tue May 31, 2011 4:09 am

I've heard the 17" quads run a little cooler. Hope that's true. Really have my eye on one. I will wait until I absolutley need it.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Tue May 31, 2011 4:16 am

as far as heating up shouldn't an ssd reduce that by a great deal?
lion is supposed to have trim support for ssds as well

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue May 31, 2011 4:58 am

Yes they are known as quad cores. I would forget about i5 chipsets as they are not quads.
Having been using I7 2.8 quad on my desktop win 7 64 ultimate since December 2009. Bought i7 quad 1.86 18.4 HP laptop just before xmas and it seems just as capable as my desktop ( runs hot though). Both machine's win7 ultimate 64. Buyers beware do not purchase i7 dual core ( as in the previous macbook pro revison) or i5 chipsets. Wait or scrounge for i7 quads as it will last you a lot lot longer and save you time , loss of creativty and reinstillation hassle ( my machines take 2-3 days to install our plugins) in the long run.

best
J

Incidently my Hp 18.4, two x 320 gb 7200 rom, bluray, some highend video card thingy, firewire 800, 7 usb ports, dvi/hdmi output, bluetooth etc etc was only £700 of fleebay.
But will be going for 13 inch macbook pro soon as this 18.4 thing is areal lump and i like to travel lite when touring

c5_convertible

Post by c5_convertible » Tue May 31, 2011 9:17 am

Not all i5's are dual cores. The desktop versions of the i5 are quad core. They don't have hyperthreading. The i5's for mobile computers are dual cores, but they do have hyperthreading (well, the sandy bridges do).
I have an i5 imac 27", which is a quad core (of the previous generation - not sandy bridge) and a macbook pro 13" with an i5 dual core (new generation sandy bridge - so hyperthreaded). I have to say that when it comes to performance, there isn't much difference between the two. The new i5 processor is a lot more performant than the old one. It can also dynamically overclock, which is something the old i5's couldn't do. The only performance difference between my imac and macbook pro is the disks and the graphics. The imac has a 7200 rpm disk, the macbook 5400rpm. The imac has a radeon 5something and the macbook has Intel integrated graphics. But, for what I use the macbook, it is more than powerful enough.

Just saying that dissing the i5 is not 100% fair. It is still a very powerful processor. The i7 is better, but also a lot more expensive, and uses more juice, so batteries last shorter...

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Tue May 31, 2011 2:57 pm

Agree 100%. My new 17 inch 2.3 quad core MBP w/ 8gb RAM runs rings around my 3 year old 15 inch 2.6 Core2 Duo w/ 4gb RAM. What's really nice is that when I get to 30+ Live CPU usage, adding another Omnisphere, Amplitube type plugin doesn't increase CPU use. It takes mastering plugins (LP eq, limiter etc.) or Aether reverb to get Live's CPU use over 50%. Also, on my old MBP Live CPU was one to one according to Activity Monitor, if Live was at 45%, so was the computer overall. Whereas on the my MBP, with Live at 45-65%, Activity Monitor shows Live using 13% overall - awesome. Hopefully Live 9 will be able to utilize more of the potential processing power of these new computers.

The 17 inch does run quite a bit cooler also.