how to create a fade in effect?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
korbbit

how to create a fade in effect?

Post by korbbit » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:33 am

hey, im tryna get this sound that i have in my head, but i just cant figure it out.
im making a dnb track, and i need the drums to fade in in the intro, like start out all muffled and distant. kinda like when you beat box with your mouth closed, and then i wanna automate the effect away slowly until the drums sound normal(close, punchy, clear and crisp)
ya mean? im pretty sure this effect is in heaps of songs...

thanks heaps.

-corbin
-corbin

nuxnamon

Re: how to create a fade in effect?

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:05 am

maybe just throw in a auto filter and do a low pass and adjust the cutoff gradually... or maybe you mean something else

korbbit

Post by korbbit » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:34 am

nuxnamon wrote:maybe just throw in a auto filter and do a low pass and adjust the cutoff gradually... or maybe you mean something else
where do you guys learn how to use all these effects/filters and the like? did you teach yourself or did you get a phd in electronic music production or something? lol
-corbin

ciw

Post by ciw » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:05 am

Try them all out, twist the knobs, see what they do.

Also read the manual to understand what they all do.

Then try and recreate effects you hear elsewhere using your newfound knowledge. You will often fail, but learn something in the process.

Most people are self taught most of the time.

You can read internet forums and try out effects others seem to rate. Also make posts like your one here.

dokx

Post by dokx » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:17 pm

korbbit wrote:
nuxnamon wrote:maybe just throw in a auto filter and do a low pass and adjust the cutoff gradually... or maybe you mean something else
where do you guys learn how to use all these effects/filters and the like? did you teach yourself or did you get a phd in electronic music production or something? lol
You could spend half a life watching Ableton stuff on Youtube.

gordon_strange

Post by gordon_strange » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:48 pm

if you use the dj master rack (it has sat gain, reverb, reverb decay on top, and then filter, low, mid and high on bottom), i think, then the filter on that should give you th effect your looking for

please bear in mind i'm at work at the moment, and doing this from memory,so i may have described it slghtly wrong!

another idea s to use fade to grey, start with it on full, and then bring it down with the drums coming in?

like some one else said turn every knob until you find something that works for you-if it doesn't work then just ctrl Z and try another!
:mrgreen:

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:12 pm

One thing you could try is working with a Low Pass Filter and a Reverb on a Pre-Fader send. Here's how you'd set it up:

There's a reverb in the send, set to 100% Wet. Also, notice the orange Pre button in the master track to the right of Send A's knob. That means that that send is pre-fader, so the send knob will send audio to the return track even if the audio track's volume is all the way down.

Now, edit your automation to something like this:

What that'll do is open the filter in the drum rack gradually, raise the clean drums level and lower the reverb level, giving you the effect of the drums getting closer.

The end result sounds something like this:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/88923182b0a333e2/

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

korbbit

Post by korbbit » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:58 am

fuck, cheers rbmonosylabik! i cant believe how thoroughly you explained that..
thanks heaps!
-corbin

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:10 am

No problem man, I love that trick and really enjoy showing others how to do it. It really shows how useful sends can be.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 pm

rbmonosylabik: "Obligatory Amen Break" :lol:

My hat is off to you, sir.
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)