DRUM MACHINE LIKE REASON

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
emotionz22

DRUM MACHINE LIKE REASON

Post by emotionz22 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:28 am

Is there any way live can make the drum rack like reason drums machine REDRUM...where everything is playing on one track so i can get a feel of how i want my drum track to sound when everything is playing and turn off the tracks...ill post a video so you know what i mean ...i want to basically record every instrument on One track and then separate them later so i can take instruments out at different times of the song... once i have a nice groove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaKf8GeM ... re=related

antarktika

Re: DRUM MACHINE LIKE REASON

Post by antarktika » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:10 am

if you click on the device chain list for your drum rack, you can right click on each sound, and choose "extract chain" and that hit and its midi file will be on a separate track, if you do this for each chain, they will all be on separate tracks.

emotionz22

Post by emotionz22 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:18 am

antarktika wrote:if you click on the device chain list for your drum rack, you can right click on each sound, and choose "extract chain" and that hit and its midi file will be on a separate track, if you do this for each chain, they will all be on separate tracks.

thank you very much...i was also wondering if i could do the same with Battery 3 ...then separate each track as midi or audio...is that possible to do with live

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:14 am

There's two ways. The first one uses batteries internal routing and Live's "External Instrument". This leaves you with full control over the sound within battery, but limits you to 16 stereo or 32 mono outputs) from battery.

First you go to each cell and select which output you want that cell to sent to:

Then on a new midi track you add Live's external instrument and set it to send midi to Battery:

and choose the respective audio channel from battery:

The second method would be to record single hits from battery to a new audio track in live and then just drag the audio clip into a drum rack. This lets you use as many channels as you want, but obviously removes the possibility to control the sounds via battery. Though you can always record several hits at different velocities and then use an instrument rack with different velocity layers within the drum rack.