AMD/Intel CPU question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andyjjones

AMD/Intel CPU question

Post by andyjjones » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:56 am

Hey folks,

I'm tossing up between an Phenom X4-955 and an Intel Core2 Q8300 CPU to use with Ableton 8.

Where I live they are roughly the same price. Which would you buy, for use primarily with Ableton?

PS: I have read one report on these forums of a user struggling with a USB Audio interface with an AMD processor, and I use a USB Audio interface too.

McQ714

Re: AMD/Intel CPU question

Post by McQ714 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:18 pm

I use the Phenom II x4 955 and it's worked great for me.

Here's the thing, though. Spend a little more money and get a 2nd Gen Intel i7.
Or wait for AMD to release Bulldozer CPUs around June to see how they perform.
You don't want to spend all that money on a platform that's being phased out already.

I can't really comment on using a USB interface with my 955 other than my NI Audio 2 DJ,
which seemed to perform well even when connected to a hub.

andyjjones

Post by andyjjones » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:51 am

What do you mean by 'phased out' and what does that mean for me if I buy one?

Is it just the Phenom II x4 955 that's being phased out, or is the intel one I mentioned being phased out also?

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:42 am

I would get the i5 or an i7. I wouldn't do a huge rebuild till 2013. The slowest cheapest i5 or i7 can be overclocked to 3.8Ghz with plenty of margin if you buy a third party cooler.
In around 2012 - 2013 system on chip CPUs will be everywhere and Windows 8 will suport system on chip. Thats a CPU and a GPU in one cpu socket being used by your OS and the GPU can be used to run CPU tasks. Intel already has a system on chip processor out now but its an intel GPU :(. AMD has a system on chip prosessor in the works with a radeon GPU. I don't know if system on chip will be utilised by Ableton live as Live still doesn't support cuda cores or 64bit. Tech is moving faster than developers nowdays.

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:30 pm

XSIMan wrote:I would get the i5 or an i7.
DEFINITELY... Core 2 Duo is phased out. The new intel architecture is worth it even at the lowest price point.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:41 pm

^^^ what they said. the core2duo is being phased out if they haven't already stopped production on those.

the phenom will still be good for a couple years because it's a socket AM3 and AMD hasn't introduced the AM3+ yet. it's supposed to come in June and according to theory, it should be a real contender to the i7. there's a lot of hype being tossed around about it. if you can wait, you should!

andyjjones

Post by andyjjones » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:54 am

I've recently moved to another country and I only took an old laptop with me.. So I thought I should buy a desktop computer here for music production.

I need to build my computer from the ground up and I think the highest-end CPUs might be a bit too expensive for me.

So you guys are saying the Phenom II x4 955 is not being phased out soon, but the i5 and i7 are much better?

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:24 am

at the moment, yes, the i7 is much better than the AMD 955 or even the 1100.
however, AMD will soon be releasing a new series of CPUs that, if the rumors are true, will be a much better processor than the current sandy bridge line of intel CPUs. and the AMD will probably be slightly cheaper as they always are.

andyjjones

Post by andyjjones » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:45 am

Okay, one more question.

I read on another forum (topic is here(click))that the only difference between the Phenom II x4 840 and the 955 is an "unlocked multiplier" and "more L3 cache".

There's also an interesting discussion here about the impact of L2 and L3 cache on DAW computers.

Do you think the slightly larger L3 cache in the 955 worth the extra $30USD for a music producer? (a poor one)

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:16 pm

i don't want you to go buy AMD just because i say so.. and i don't want you to rush into buy anything at the moment.
i'm just saying that between the 2 CPUs you originally posted about, the AMD is the smarter buy for me. AMD hasn't moved on from the Socket AM3 yet. they will in a couple months but even when they introduce the AM3+, the 955 will still work in those motherboards according to AMD. i would wait just a couple more months before you pull the trigger if you're really not sure what to get. and definitely have a look into intel i7 CPUs (2nd gen).

if you have to get it now.. i strongly urge you to do some research and find out which AMD motherboards are going to be AM3+ compatible. most of the current line of Asus boards say they just need a bios update, while gigabyte is putting new sockets on their current lineup.