Building a hardware setup

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andydes

Re: Building a hardware setup

Post by andydes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:34 am

ze2be wrote: Midi controller:
If I was starting up now , I would seriously consider geting an iPad 2 as controller. Use The Apps: TouchAble or Griid. Its the simlest, but also the most flexible and easy to use controller you can get for Live. Or get a used APC40, and a cheep midi keyboard. Try the smalest one from Akai or similar. But you can evrn play notes on the APC if you get the Native Kontroll APC series presets. Highly recomend it.

Edit: or get a used iPad1 dirt cheap! Does just as well as the iPad2!

Er, this guy's played the piano from age 3. Do you really recommend the smallest or cheapest keyboard?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:46 pm

The APC40 does play notes if you get Hanz Pertove's script. It also turns your APC40 into a step sequencer which is a lot of fun. http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/p/apc-64-40.html Although I would disagree that the APC40 is better build quality than Notvation (i think they are about equal), I would say the APC40 is extreamly versatile for both production and performing. Understanding it may also help you learn a bit more about Ableton Live itself. And it's fun.

NI's Audio 8 DJ sound card is sufficient, and considering they just released new sound cards for Traktor you can probably find a used one cheap, since many people have been upgrading their Traktor stuff. And the Audio 8 DJ is still a great sound card.

I would hold off on getting much else. Just getting one controller like an APC40 will eventually reveal what you might want/need next. That might be a keyboard, or something like Maschine, or a doepher Modular Synth, but first just dig in with something basic that you can get a lot out of.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:16 pm

andydes wrote:
ze2be wrote: Midi controller:
If I was starting up now , I would seriously consider geting an iPad 2 as controller. Use The Apps: TouchAble or Griid. Its the simlest, but also the most flexible and easy to use controller you can get for Live. Or get a used APC40, and a cheep midi keyboard. Try the smalest one from Akai or similar. But you can evrn play notes on the APC if you get the Native Kontroll APC series presets. Highly recomend it.

Er, this guy's played the piano from age 3. Do you really recommend the smallest or cheapest keyboard?
Ah yeah, good point! :D

jckoppo

Post by jckoppo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:14 am

ze2be wrote:
jckoppo wrote:If i get an APC40, will there be any point in getting a DJM-800 in the future? Do these pieces of hardware work in conjunction?

Also, if someone could still explain the purpose of a mixer (djm-800) in comparison to a controller (apc40) that would be greatttttt

thanks for all the help
You absolutely do not need a DJ mixer! Especialy Pioneer is ridiculously expencive.

Im 20 years older then you, but I started at the same age. The last years ive got gigs all around the world. Took a long time to get there though.

My best advice would be:
Build your own PC. You can get it dirt cheap like that. i5 or i7 intel cpu.
If you go for a laptop, make shure it doesnt get hot and noisy.

Soundcard: Native Instruments kick ass, and you can get them cheep.

Monitors: get a used pair of 4" or 6" Genelecs. The reason for this is you get your monny back when you sell them later. But you might fall in love with them and upgrade the size instead. I went for genelecs very early, and its the best gear buy I ever did. Still use them. But they are expensive, even second hand. Best bang for the buck, and a great startup on a budget would be second hand KRK monitors.

If you want a mixer, all you really need is like the smalest line/project mixer. Try Mackie. Dont get a DJ mixer!

Another essential advice is: get some bass traps and difusors at once! Theres a milion guides on the net. But the short story is: just get some stuff in your corners. And but some wavy foam directly over your head, in front and on the sides. No need to cover the room, just where your head gets reflections. Sound in a room is like waves in a pool. Only its in 3D and much much faster. The idea is to shield your head from the worst waves. The bass waves are huge, so the only way to stop them bouncing arround in the room, is to create some bass traps. You might be able to pick up some used ones from an old studio, if you search like secondhand markeds on the web.

Midi controller:

As far as computer goes, i currently have a 8 core Mac Pro with 6 gigs of ram.. I think im all set in that respect.
macmurphy wrote:i'd go for the best monitors you can afford first along with an audio interface;
we're talking about sound here so get those sorted and then start thinking about controllers :wink:
By monitor do you mean computer monitor, or am i missing out on something :P
Also, what exactaly is an audio interface :?

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:24 am

jckoppo wrote:
macmurphy wrote:i'd go for the best monitors you can afford first along with an audio interface;
we're talking about sound here so get those sorted and then start thinking about controllers :wink:
monitors = speakers

audio interface = a way of getting sound into and out of your computer

the two links in my first post will show you an example of each :wink:

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:58 pm

macmurphy wrote:
jckoppo wrote:
monitors = speakers

I was about to answer this, but I started to suspect this question to be trolling.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

jckoppo

Post by jckoppo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:38 pm

macmurphy wrote:
jckoppo wrote:
monitors = speakers

ohhh haha, i didnt realize those were links
my badd

8TROW8

Post by 8TROW8 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:55 pm

I think the main thing is to remember that you want to make sure you follow one simple golden rule: have fun!

Don't got an spend your life savings until youve had a play with Live and a cheap controller and some half decent speakers. You want to make sure your making the right decision and to make sure production is really for you.

Not been devils advocate I just want to offer honest advice I've seen far too many people buying £££££ worth of gear and few months down the line not even using it or at worst not learning it properly, getting annoyed and sacking it in or selling there stuff.

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Tue May 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Here's a good price this week on Akai APC40.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKAAPC40

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue May 03, 2011 4:06 pm

For the most part I would recommend saving your money for now while you develop a strong understanding of the software and how you will ultimately prefer to work with it (of course this can change over time - it has for me many times over). Although, as a seasoned musician you may prefer to get you a nice keyboard styled controller, probably something with weighted or semi-weighted keys. If you have the option to visit a local retailer, give some of the options a try and see what feels good to you. Hope that helps.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.