Traktor Pro 2 and performance

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Traktor Pro 2 and performance

Post by sporkles » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Messed around a bit with the demo; the 30 minute demo drove me mad, so I forked out and upgraded. I really love it, but NI have some serious bugs they need to sort out - see you're not alone, Ableton!

Anyway, the loop recorder and sample decks have really opened my eyes, and have streamlined the whole experience. Traktor makes a whole lot more sense to me now, and it's actually as intuitive a performance tool as Live; actually, speaking as someone who has never actually finished planning a performance setup in Live, I have to say that the limitations of Traktor have reminded me that less is more.

Rave

Re: Traktor Pro 2 and performance

Post by Rave » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:45 pm

Yeah Traktor 2 is buggy but on the whole miles more fun than using live to DJ.

ansiaaa

Post by ansiaaa » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:29 pm

I've actually sold my S4 / Traktor 2 today because I didn't use it anymore after buying Live...

I guess it's cool if you need to mix songs, but if you want to go beyond the barriers of classic DJ controls Traktor still lacks quite a few things.
the sample decks are a cool addition, but they are very badly integrated in the controller and the software...

now I just hope The Bridge will be extended to Itch in the future! I'd love to use Itch and Live together

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:09 am

I spent quite a few hours mapping my controllers today. I'm using NI's X1, a Nocturn and a Launchpad, and I'm really excited about the possibilities; with the Launchpad, I've got hot cues and loops mapped for decks A and B, record, play/stop and delete for the loop recorder, and play/stop and "copy from loop recorder" for all eight slots on decks C and D, which are sample decks. Well, I still had more buttons available, so I also mapped the bottom row of Launchpad buttons to load specific effects into specific slots, so I can switch effects on the fly. I'm not quite done mapping things out, but when I am, I won't need to touch the mouse/trackpad at all.

As far as DJ'ing goes, I agree with Rave: Traktor wins, hands down. I just feel that it takes so much more planning in Live. The only advantage I see with Live for this use, is warping. Some tracks seem to drift, so that even though you've set your beat grid properly from beat one in Traktor, it's out of sync later on in the track. In Live, you can fix those tracks by messing around with the beat markers. But it's not really a big deal, manual re-syncing in Traktor is no problem.