All times are UTC

 
 



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:39 pm 

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:33 pm
Posts: 230
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This may be a newbie question or something that has been covered in previous threads. if so I apologize in advance.


I was wondering if there is away to record the automation in clip view? I have found out how to record the automation I do (IE Filter envelope amount) once everything is laid out in arrangement view no problem. But is there away to have that automation in the individual clips? Does that make sense?


Thanks guys!

_________________
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/modernmaestros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:08 pm 

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:29 pm
Posts: 623
nope, it's not possible. A lot of people are angry at this fact i personally don't see there being a lot of trouble jsut recording the automation in arrangement then copy and pasting to the clip envelope. I'm sure direct session view automation would be convenient.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:58 pm 

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 795
kanuck wrote:
don't see there being a lot of trouble jsut recording the automation in arrangement then copy and pasting to the clip envelope. .


because maybe you work in arrange, but for automaters working in session the copy paste thing is totally insane in daily basis loose
of time. It takes 10x more time and is totally anti natural music process, that's why there are about 53442235 newbies with 10 posts that find that stangeexactly like me or other 5 or more years ago found that s____p design choice 'strange'. the logic would be to sketch,tweak'n rec in session, then all can be bounced to arrange, moded, and why not back in session.. but no.
but hell yeah i do feel they will sort it atlast magically ouut on build 9, and that day will be a national day in every countries.

go head and try to rec 10 tracks, with 50 clips of 10 automations and try to copy that back to session.
tell me if it's not that a trouble, im not rude but i can't let you say that ..

_________________
liveMatrix
soundcloud


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:54 pm 

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:33 pm
Posts: 230
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
kanuck wrote:
nope, it's not possible. A lot of people are angry at this fact i personally don't see there being a lot of trouble jsut recording the automation in arrangement then copy and pasting to the clip envelope. I'm sure direct session view automation would be convenient.


I may have opened a can of worms. OOOPS

it's not that difficult. Infact I find it cleaner that way.
Thanks!

_________________
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/modernmaestros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:58 am 

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:29 pm
Posts: 623
justchris86 wrote:
kanuck wrote:
nope, it's not possible. A lot of people are angry at this fact i personally don't see there being a lot of trouble jsut recording the automation in arrangement then copy and pasting to the clip envelope. I'm sure direct session view automation would be convenient.


I may have opened a can of worms. OOOPS

it's not that difficult. Infact I find it cleaner that way.
Thanks!

haha don't worry about it there are threads that go on to at least 10 pages with users arguing about this topic. I guess for my workflow it's not that limiting. But everyone uses Live differently.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:09 am 

Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:57 am
Posts: 358
kanuck wrote:
nope, it's not possible. A lot of people are angry at this fact i personally don't see there being a lot of trouble jsut recording the automation in arrangement then copy and pasting to the clip envelope. I'm sure direct session view automation would be convenient.


Go ahead and try copying those automated clips into the Session view and then tell me if you still see no problem:

The automation does not copy does not work AT ALL from the Clips.
Want to record Automation? you're stuck in Arrangement view.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:11 am 

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 1439
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
jasper wrote:
kanuck wrote:
nope, it's not possible. A lot of people are angry at this fact i personally don't see there being a lot of trouble jsut recording the automation in arrangement then copy and pasting to the clip envelope. I'm sure direct session view automation would be convenient.


Go ahead and try copying those automated clips into the Session view and then tell me if you still see no problem:

The automation does not copy does not work AT ALL from the Clips.
Want to record Automation? you're stuck in Arrangement view.



You're definitely right in correcting the guy, but I think it's worth noting that there are some workarounds in Session view. MIDI CC's can be recorded as clip automation, so in the case of many VST's you can assign a certain control to the modwheel (within the VST, that is), then record the modwheel modulation in the clip. I do that all the time for quick+easy automation of a single parameter I badly needed automated in a clip. Obviously not an overall solution, but worth knowing it's there as an option.

_________________
/ dead when i found her online: http://dwifh.com
/ industrial music by dead when i found her at: http://www.soundcloud.com/deadwhenifoundher


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 am 

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 12:36 pm
Posts: 965
As mholloway said you can record clip automation from third-party plugins which have their own midi map function, because Live records Control Changes.
If you have M4L, I've just finished a device that let you do the same thing with any plugins, Live's one included.
Details and download HERE

_________________
http://www.tete-de-son.com/
Soundcloud
Some M4L devices
more M4L devices


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:23 pm 

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:50 pm
Posts: 11636
Location: MacAbleton Towers, sunny Manchester.
I have copied automation from Arrange to Session. It does work. You have to paste it into the modulation though, and turn that up to 100%.

Different ways of doing it. If it's not Racked up click Configure and then the parameters you wanna control. Record the automation. Go back to Session. Right click the box for the parameter and select Show Modulation. Paste the automation there. The turn the slider up in the Configure box to the max. Sound exactly the same now, but in Session View. The values do come out a tiny bit different. I just recorded an Arturia Minimoog going from about 30% Cutoff to 50%, and it translated as 23% to 40% roughly. I had it racked so no need to Configure, just right click the Macro, mouse to the start of the loop and paste.

_________________
Image
★ 140 PAGES OF FREE exclusive Ableton Live and Mac OS X tutorials ★ News, interviews, gear reviews ★ Productivity, ergonomics, mouse-free computing
"great site with clear instructions and i like it that you make it understandable" dwiddy
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:42 pm 

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:15 pm
Posts: 672
This is one of the things that drives me crazy about Live, and I would really like to see, soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:15 pm 

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Posts: 3239
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX
agreed. if it's not implemented in Live 9 I am gonna have foul thoughts about the Abes.

It's one feature request that would upgrade workflow and performance in MAJOR ways. But until then, I will definitely be giving Valiumdupeuple's device a go.

_________________
soundcloud
vimeo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:18 pm 

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:15 pm
Posts: 672
Bitwig listens. Just saying. :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:55 pm 

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 795
yeah, and they did the right thing that deserve so much respect from me, at last they will free us of that ,;b:n issue.

_________________
liveMatrix
soundcloud


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:33 am 

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:29 pm
Posts: 30
Need max4live for this new divice but it works a treat:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=1036

Made by Crampe.. So many thanks to him!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recording Automation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:41 pm 

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 12:36 pm
Posts: 965
Hey people !
Due to a little error, the 4th knob on the ClipAutomation device didn't control the parameter it was attached to.
If you didn't solve the problem by yourself, I've update the device.

_________________
http://www.tete-de-son.com/
Soundcloud
Some M4L devices
more M4L devices


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC

 
 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group