how often is L8 crashing theese days?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

once every hour
3%
a few times the day
16%
once a day
7%
a few times the week
7%
once a week
5%
a few times the month
22%
a few times the year
21%
never
19%

Total votes: 114

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:44 pm

for me iots getting more again.. as usual when i try to finish projekts the crashing gets in my way..
time to change the platform now because i need finsihed productions.

but how is the state for others? is it normal that the thing crashes as soon you do more than just playing around with a few tracks?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Khazul

Re: how often is L8 crashing theese days?

Post by Khazul » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:55 pm

You missed the 'Few times an hour' option as seems to be the case when working on something wih alot of tracks and lots of processing on a PC with Win7/64.

Since Ive been using a macbook pro (OSX 10.6.7) for the past month or whatever it is, Ive had only one crash and that was when dragging in a live native plugin into a track in a moderate sized project. Working on the same project that can cuase the PC to crash only after a few minutes or sometimes not for hours, but allways several times a day.

TBH - I actualy hugely prefer crashes over subtle bugs that leave you thinking your imagining that something has gone horribly wrong with the groove or EQ similar. At least with a crash there is no doubt something is buggered and we can go have a coffee and wait for the damn thing to restart rather than pissing about trying to fix what wasnt broken in the first place (ie Live just being random).

I have actually trying to minimise use of Live Live racks, live fx, live EQ etc now and use Kore 2 racks instead so that if we really get pissed off with being fucked about by live - it becomes at least possible to move the project to something else complete with intact fx chains and mostly intact midi controls etc - ie Logic or Cubase hopefully before the second guessing drives us nuts. The downer, working without live sidechain is a right pain in live - no convenient busses for AU sidechain like in logic and cubase with its VST3 - grrrr!

The wrost part of all this crap with random working/not working PDC with some plugins is I cant trust the export timing anymore either - now if you cant trust it for basics then were sort of getting close to saying fukit entirely and using something else for all production until we can trust it again - and will not stick to using only Live and zero latency plugins!
Nothing to see here - move along!

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:30 pm

ther was years without a single crash.. thats actually a desirable state.. everthing more than a few times the year in actualy not good enough..

as it looks wright now its still 50% that have regular crashes..quite the same figur than 2 years ago...

but lets wait and see...

fx23

Post by fx23 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:25 pm

im convinced L8 was a very hard transition for live, and they take their time cause they saw some potential error, but L9 whill shine again, im pretty sure of that. they know they can't take the risk to deliver a bad release.
we just have to wait and see. L8 was certainly the worst release in terms of stability, but because they engaged huge works
with MFL. this takes time to stabilize, this is not a small add, it affected api and many internal insert points
on huge range of new aspects that take long to debug and test all scenarios for sure, but this will pay in the soon futur even on native stuff, im convinced. It's like every big transformations in daily life, it first mess, then you see it was needed and cool.
once it will be stressed hard and protected hard, optimized, things will re-start on a new powerful much more modular basis,
certainly a bit more cpu demanding, but much more tweakable, beeing in terms of MFL patching, and also for them to sketch,stress'n'test more quicly native improvments, so imo that was a price to pay for a while, real history will be later.
they shouldn't spend hard time fixing 8 and move on a rock solid 9 with cool price for L8 buyers. that's 2 years anyway now.
how many product have a 2 years real beta stage?
just forget L8. i know so much people around me that even reverted to 7 cause of that. i didn't. waiting 9.
9 will shine. it must shine and it will shine

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:29 pm

I haven't had any crashes in a while until 8.2.2. Now I've had a crash a day.
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:35 pm

fx23 wrote:im convinced L8 was a very hard transition for live
how much of that is influenced by the drunk depressed ranting German guy?

haven't had a crash in a long time, leave it open all the time with devices connected. about once a week I have to restart to get a device to reconnect.

you should see the bugs in the Mentor Graphics CAD program I'm using and that's $10ks per seat. oh man this sucks...
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

fx23

Post by fx23 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:44 pm

im a cg artist, i work daily on 3Ds (actually for justice clip, and scenes crash all the day along due to 12gb swap), wich crash 10x more time than L8, wich crash 10x more time than L7, i wasn't influenced by 3phaze.

i beleive you Tone, but i never heard the shotgunbuffers with L4-L5,L6,L7 or so few times that were due to powercore.
L8 was clearly for me crashing much more than previous relase.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:50 pm

fx23 wrote:L8 was clearly for me crashing much more than previous release.
true dat.

'3D' is the new 'i'. even toothpaste is being sold as 3D.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

fx23

Post by fx23 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:58 pm

TBH i work in 3D but i don't like 3D and im not necesseraly proud of working in 3D. and find they historically try to make a pseudo 3D hype wave attempt every 5 years or so that fail and fail again. all recent 3Dhype in cinema was a not so glorious debacle.
and they will fail again with 3D TV, 3D slates and other 3D bullshit trying to sell you weird 3D toothpaste lol, but this make me eat.

that was just to say im very experienced with crashing, i daily reboot about 10 times,as 3dsmax is probably the most often crashing soft on earth, that i reckon crash more than L8, but it also deal with so much more datas, and isn't aggressing my ears with a
shotgunbuffer @10kw then i look loosy say 'yeah oops, where is my 'i'pod, cause despite i hate apple ideology, man must admit
their stuff just work as espected. simple and reliable. live was too simple but reliable. it complexified hard internally in
favor to modularity and that has a temporary price on stability imo, but it should be ok in a soon futur,
at least that's my feel and hopes..

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:31 am

Yesterday I had a lot of crashes.

Opening a live set :arrow: crash!
Changing midiyoke ports :arrow: crash!

One overall annoying thing, I always have to kill the process in background.
Simply closing the program is not enough.

Damn I love so much this program that it's turning like a violent love affair:
You love it as much as you got the hatred for :P

Reports sent

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:51 pm

Never since 8.0.4
2008 iMac 4GB RAM
No VST except Zebra 2.5
Average 14 Tracks (session drums count for 1) 70% audio recorded tracks and 30% Virtual Synths.

- Best
- Pasha
Apple Desktop / Laptop
Live 9 Suite,Zebra 2.6,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:46 pm

ok.. than i dont need to look for special reasons.. its just as unstable as it allways was.. people just stopped talking about it because its the normal condition now.. :-/

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:59 pm

never since initial 8 release.. 8O
MBP 2008/ MFL, Reaktor, Massive, Maschine/ 2 hardware synths/ MOTU Ultralite

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:07 pm

3phase wrote:ok.. than i dont need to look for special reasons.. its just as unstable as it allways was.. people just stopped talking about it because its the normal condition now.. :-/
I don't understand why you just don't ask for a refund. You say you're unwilling to send in crash reports as you've done so many but that's the only way they're going to solve your problem.

I wonder if all your crashes are the fault of the software and not other conflicts happening within your computer?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:05 pm

?? dont repeat this stupid statements that i never send in reports.. just search the bug forum and you will find many reports from me.. ..
allways this lies to claim me responsible for my crashes. sure..might be my machine..i allways get this idea..and than i ask the forum..and it dont really looks like thats only my personal problem. and it works fine on evrything else...

And when you send a crashreport you never get any answers to your questions. The logic in that that tehy either want my system to crash..or they just have no idea what is causing the unstability..what is a bit poor after 2 years..

2 years after the struggle started the actual version is worse again than the one before..that looks extremly promissing..
And there are still no official anouncements what plug ins or hardware platforms give problems..

Thats appears a bit ignorant from abletons side to dont have gathred any information about that item yet.

And whats about the quality statement? no new features before hamersmith.. stable operation first..
Why is the new version worse when that is not because of the new max features?

There are new features regarding max and serato all the time but only slight stability improovements.. it´s not crashing on any session anymore or without touching it.... but still too often to feel safe on stage.

I think its time that ableton releases some info about stable systems.Factory recomended hardware setups and verified 3rd party plugs..

I cant really belive thats pure random or karma if a user has problems or not... there must be some common denominators..

its software ..not voodoo ware.. or? 8O

2 years with crashes and no official statements and advice form the side of the company..officially they say that the program is stable now..

but do they really belive this themself or are there dirty tricks to achive stable operation they only share with rectified rainers but not the mean normalo customer? Has ableton deliverd special version to people like ritchi hawtin that obviously risks to go on the big stage with that crap?

Thats all really strange.. maybe the trick is really to use apple pro books.. and they just dont like to tell that in public to dont scare customers away..

at least thats the common thing i see with the people that go really on stage and seem to have stable operation..

any crashing Apple pro books here?